Thoroughbred Rifles - New One Mile Rifle

NTRP

Hello everyone. My name is Josh and this is my first post. You have a great forum. Thoroughbred Rifles built a One Mile Rifle for me and I posted it to several forums. Dale is a sponsor here so I thought I would share it with everyone:

Dale Troutt is the owner of Thoroughbred Rifles. He specializes in custom hunting rifles for all types of game animals all over the world. I have known him for about 5 years and have shot several matches with him. TR is based out of Frisco, TX, which is very close to NTRP. We decided to do a project together and have him build a dedicated One Mile Rifle for NTRP.

What makes Dale's operation unique is the he guarantees ½ MOA accuracy with his rifles using only factory hunting ammunition. If you don't think your rifle shoots that well when delivered: he will fly you in, board you in his guest quarters, and shoot the rifle with you present to demonstrate the capabilities of the rifle. If it shoots ½ MOA , you have to cover all of your expenses. If it doesn't, he pays for your trip and corrects the rifles accuracy before you leave. To date, no one has had to take him on this warranty offer. :)

At any given time, Dale has an average of 30 Thoroughbred actions, 30 rifle stocks, and 50 different barrels in stock ready to go. His build time is 8 weeks unless he has to order some special part you have requested.

Here is a few pics of his shop:

Barrels ready to go:
P1020321-1.jpg

P1020320-1.jpg

P1020322.jpg

P1020323-1.jpg

This is the finished product during initial load development:

P1020327.jpg

P1020328.jpg

P1020330.jpg

The second day of load development was in the field at the NTRP range. We tuned the T2K brake and shot a sub-.25MOA group with it. The specs of the rifles are:

Thoroughbred Action (Produced by Jerry Still under TR's specs)
Bartlein 27" barrel chambered in .300RUM with T2K muzzle brake
Stiller 30MOA base
McMillan Stock
Jewell Trigger
Shooting a Hornady 225gr Match Bullet @3150fps

This was a fun video we put together showing the rifle being built and then shooting it to 1780 yards. I'm using an old MIL/MOA Nightforce NSX I had laying around and it takes 56 MOA to get to target.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQqjhCCh60Y[/video]

Hey Josh, great first post & hats off to that gent for building you a great rifle. I've seen a few of the advertisements for that company, but this is the first product i've seen, very nice. Keep us all posted on how you do, especially how that bullet performs for you.

Shooting a Hornady 225gr Match Bullet @3150fps
Yowza.....care to share your load data with that one? That's screaming for a 225g bullet out of a 300RUM.

Good looking rifle and glad to hear it's got great accuracy too! That range setup is kinda cool, I've never seen an enclosed shooting surface like that.

--Ben

Yeah the COAL is 3.758 and it doesn't fit in DBM that we could find which is why we went with a BDL style bottom. There will not be much barrel life at all running this bullet/powder/velocity combo. But barrels are disposable and I go through them quick on my range.

Josh -

Welcome to LRH and thanks for sharing. That looks like a very nice rifle.

I believe I've seen some of Dale's rifles at DSC. They look like a first class product, but I have never shot any.

Unfortunately, Boss Hoss' observation is right on the money.

Perhaps you should alert Dale to explain?

-- richard

I have seen Dales work and he does lube the reamer. He lubes it cuts a little cleans reamer and relubes and cuts some more. He is meticules and very concerned about his Quality and Guns and his equipment.
Maybe the video was abridged for the sake of time.
Understand his process before commenting on it.

I let him know and will let him respond. I'm not a gunsmith. I just took video at different times and then shot the rifle. Anyway, it shoots well enough for me and the rifle is being used in a one mile event at my next competition.

BTW Josh - I like your website and hope my son and I can come shoot with ya'll someday. -- richard

Oh thank you! I haven't said anything about it because I didn't want to violate any rules until I get sponsorship worked out.

I let him know and will let him respond. I'm not a gunsmith. I just took video at different times and then shot the rifle. Anyway, it shoots well enough for me and the rifle is being used in a one mile event at my next competition.

When/where is the one-mile event/competition?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.