Thor sample pack arrived today...

SidecarFlip

My sample sizing packet of Thor non sabot bullets arrived today with sizing instructions which I'll be employing this weekend to size the Thor solids to my AccuraV2. Looks to be a wicked load.

The thing I'm wondering is if I'll have to clean the bore like I do with my centerfires when I start sending the non sabot pills. Looks like copper fouling might be an issue.

you'd be real surprised at how clean shooting they are. Been shooting them since Sept 2008 and I get a heck of a lot more copper fouling with powerbelts than I do with the Thors.

Going to pick your brain a bit....

I'm sending TMZ's now and I wonder if I should order the Thor in an equivalent weight to the saboted TMZ? I want to avoid the trial and error method of bullet weight if possible. Also, with 100 grains (volume) of 209, what lind of velocity should I be seeing from my V2 and will the BDC be about the same as the TMZ? I have a Nikon BDC muzzlellading scope with BDC holdovers in the reticle...

Finally, should I stay with the CVA barrfel blaster/cleaner or switch to say Butch's or Montana or Hoppes instead??

Inquiring minds want to know....lol

The TMZ's yiekd an extremely tight 100 yard group. I'm getting 2 holes at 100 yards on the bench.

Going to pick your brain a bit....

I'm sending TMZ's now and I wonder if I should order the Thor in an equivalent weight to the saboted TMZ? I want to avoid the trial and error method of bullet weight if possible. Also, with 100 grains (volume) of 209, what lind of velocity should I be seeing from my V2 and will the BDC be about the same as the TMZ? I have a Nikon BDC muzzlellading scope with BDC holdovers in the reticle...

Finally, should I stay with the CVA barrfel blaster/cleaner or switch to say Butch's or Montana or Hoppes instead??

Inquiring minds want to know....lol

The TMZ's yiekd an extremely tight 100 yard group. I'm getting 2 holes at 100 yards on the bench.

Not a problem at all, asking saves time and money.

If you're shooting the 245-250gr Barnes TMZ, the drop will be extremely close to the same as the Thor. Remember, the Thor is a Barnes bullet, but just in full .50cal form. BC is in the .220 - .230 range.

Velocity is in the 1970-1989 range with my CVA Apex, so your V2 will be very very close to the same with 100gr BH209.

Some velocity data I put together,
Thor Ballistics Info + BC info

As for cleaners, I am die hard fan of birchwood casey 2 in 1 bore scrubber, its been the best stuff at removing everything from the bore, and doing it easily. Run 2 dry patches bore the bore first to mop out excess fouling, spray a patch good, swab bore, let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, bore brush, wet patch again and swab, dry the bore.

Video of how I do it.
Cleaning Blackhorn209 VIDEO

....................The TMZ's yiekd an extremely tight 100 yard group. I'm getting 2 holes at 100 yards on the bench.

Unless your going to hunt someplace that doesn't allow the use of sabots, why switch? I don't think a Thor reaches a BC of .230 however it is a Barnes. Also consider expense. A bunch of us just cleaned out MidwayUSA of Barnes, selling the 24 package for $17.95 you couldn't pass on that deal..... However if its experimenting that you like, then its different.

Unless your going to hunt someplace that doesn't allow the use of sabots, why switch? I don't think a Thor reaches a BC of .230 however it is a Barnes. Also consider expense. A bunch of us just cleaned out MidwayUSA of Barnes, selling the 24 package for $17.95 you couldn't pass on that deal..... However if its experimenting that you like, then its different.

Thats a darn good price. Last pack I bought from Cabelas, in the store was, I think, about 23 bucks plus sales tax.

I'm intrigued by the sabotless pills and I want to use a one pill for everything I shoot. Price isn't really a consideration because unlike my benchrest target rifles I won't be sending large quantities downrange. I get the ML's sighted in and both are only ignited for hunting, I have 2, both CVA V2's, one shorter tube mountain rifle, the other standard length and both shoot almost identically at 100 yards.

The absolute best modification to both was shimming the retainers. Had them both out a week ago and with 209 and 6 pills (TMZ's) down each tube there was absolutely nothing in the primer recess, on the breech face or the backside of the action, nothing.

I'm really sold on BH209 too. I loaded some Go-Ex a friend had and was amazed how dirty it was in comparison. First shot, fine, second shot it got a bit tighter, I almost didn't get the third pill ramrodded down the tube. I don't have that issue with 209 and when I pulled the breechplug, it was filthy as was the bore. It don't get filthy with BH209.

I was with a couple other guys with ML's at a private range and they were all over me about what I did and how I did it and what it involves. Of course I explained to them that it wasn't a quick modification (took me an entire afternoon to get the spacing right and get the breech to close and hammer to function properly) but they were all very interested.

One guy had an Apex and the breech face looked like it had acne. IU told him there was no use in shimming, the face was already shot.

I also like the Thor's better than the Canadian sabotless pills. The Thor's can be sent without modification to the breech, the Canadian counterparts can't from what I read.

Really, the Thor's aren't that expensive per pill. I buy Defensive Edge CNC turned rifle bullets, Thor's are relatively inexpensive compared to DE CNC turned pills or my Lapua cased 338 Scenars. Even handloaded, each round is over 3 bucks.

The CALCULATED BC for the 250gr Thor is .220 and the 300gr is .240

These are CALCULATED ballistic coefficients directly from Thor Bullets.

Basically the same as the equal weights of the Barnes TMZ's.

That eliminates the 'fiddle factor'. The extended range on a ML is certainly not the range of a centerfire.

Planning on sticking with the same 100 grains by volume load of 209 that I use with the saboted pills.

I didn't see that specification, Glad you provided it.

Will be sizing and ordering thie weekend. JIT for opening day down here. I need to 'do my part' to keep the deer off people's bumpers.:)

One other question that don't pertain to my original comment and that is, what is the shelf life of BH209? I keep the cannister sealed and in a humidity controlled location (my powder chest) but I got a deal on the big cannister so I bought one and I figure it will last for years.

I presume that so long as it has the vinegar smell, it's ok? Is that correct?

I'm used to extruded rifle and pistol propellants and I use my nose to insure they are viable.

As long as its sealed and you keep the humidity away, it should last for years. I do the same with all my propellants and just fired off some 2f that I've had for 15+ years, perfectly. Other than this year after all these eye surgeries, I normally don't let any sit around, going through 5 or 6 bottles a year.

As long as its sealed and you keep the humidity away, it should last for years. I do the same with all my propellants and just fired off some 2f that I've had for 15+ years, perfectly. Other than this year after all these eye surgeries, I normally don't let any sit around, going through 5 or 6 bottles a year.

Stink'in up the neighborhood....lol

I can see at some point, I'll have to visit so we can tell stories and create more smoke and stink.....

I get up your way (thumb) pretty regularly.

Stink'in up the neighborhood....lol

I can see at some point, I'll have to visit so we can tell stories and create more smoke and stink.....

I get up your way (thumb) pretty regularly.

Well I'm a little further up than the Thumb but, if you're up this way bring the muzz. My range is always open. I'll even put up some glow sticks we can shoot at if its dark :D Once the corn comes down, the 200yd target becomes available too!

Corn should be coming off, it is here. I'm not a row crop farmer, I grow commercial forage so I'm done for the year.

If you are south of the bridge, I get up there, usually on company business. I seldom cross the bridge except for bear hunts or to visit my friends in Iron Mountain.

Doe tags sold out here (Monroe County) in 1/2 hour. I've never seen that happen before and I attribute that to Obama and his anti-gun campaign. Firearms and hunting is getting much more popular, however, Muzzleloading isn't, which is fine with me.

Muzzleloading takes more skill and preparation that buying a box of factory loads and chambering some rounds.... I had to get a combo license to get a restricted doe permit but I did get an extra 3 anterless permits for my property in Mecosta County so I'm good every which way. I'm planning on hunting extended doe between the holidays on the Mecosta property, something I do every year unless I'm going out west on a hunt.

Down here is ML/bow/slug gun/handgun but Mecosta is anything that goes bang. That will be a 308 Savage and/or my 44 Smith which I always carry in the woods anyway.

Sized it (Accura V2) this afternoon after I cleaned it but prior to using bore butter (I use the TC biodegraqdable stuff).

The .500 fit and felt good going down, pulled the breech plug and shoved the pill out. The rifling engraved the skirt and a bit of the body. I figured I'd try the .501. Big mistake. Got it in but no ramrodding it down the tube, I could have bent the ramrod and I don't believe it would have slid.

I had to reverse the ramrod and shove it out from the breech end.

My issue is that I've been sending Barnes TMZ-BTs in 290 grain ballistic tipped pills and Thor only offers a 300, which is probably what I'll go with as I have the smoke pole sighted in on the 290's now.

Sent a message to Terry a wile ago so I'll see what he recommends.

the .500 sounds perfect, seems to load just like they do in my cva's.

Some ballistics info for the 250 and 300gr thor shooting 100gr blackhorn209.

250 Thor,
250Thor_zpse8a8b5b8.jpg

300 Thor,
300Thor_zps2b56a3a5.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.