thompson encore

Giving it an informal try.
Shooting a .204 26" bull barrel, haven't put alot through it yet but I did shoot two 5 shot groups (6") at 500 yrds w/10 - 15 mph quartering wind. Not spectacular but I was using a bi-pod, windage and elevation adjustments made by eye. I have a new barrel coming chambered for the 6.5 x 55, I am excited to see what I can do with it.

I have shot mine to some pretty long ranges went to 1000yds with a 300 win mag. The Encore can be made to be as accurate as any bolt gun , the problems with the encore are generaly the trigger and the barrel to frame fit both of which can be fixed easly enough. another little problem with shooting groups with the Encore is that the gun has to be taken out of battery each time its loaded and that generaly is counter productive to accuracy but if your a decient shoot with sense enough to pay attention to shooting form its no big deal.
I had to make a sloped base to help with the windage at the long range. I have a 308 pistol that I have shot to 400yds with good accuracy as well.

when i bought the frame i bought a hinge pin that tightens things up,the barrel is an e arthur brown .308. I havent seen much about group size beyond 100 ydrs. curious to see how it shoots 700+ yards.
when I watched one of my buddied hit 3 chicken eggs with 6 shots at 748 yards 100 yard stuff is boring.

I shot a p-dog at about 550 yards with a contender pistol in 22-204.

His dad shot one at 611 yds with the same gun the year before in the same area. ;-))) The gun owner is well past that and working on one over 1k yds.

The T/C's are more finicky then other guns I have although a custom barrel does wonders for allowing for different powder/bullet combos.

jahull , if your barrel is reasonable stiff to open or atleast does not fall open when your unlatch the trigger guard then you have a tight enough hinge pin , it should be smooth and tight the whole way open like what a heavy bank vault door would feel like , realy smooth but stiff.

I would definatly look at getting a trigger job and have the forend bedded both of these will help alot with accuracy.

what are the specs of the barrel as far as length and contuer? do you know what the twist rate is? if I'm not mistaken I think that EACO barrels are built with Douglas blanks. the good thing about the Encore is that their is no worry about what your seating depth has to be , you can seat the bullet out as far as you like..

Can't wait to see what jahull's rifle will do with the bedding and trigger job (I think the trigger may be good already). It's already printed a 100yd group in the .2's with the 155gr lapua scenar and 44.3gr Varget.

I heard that Ebben was making his own barrels now. But from what I heard about them, maybe he went back to buying blanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts