thompson center pro hunter as a long range rifle ?

I tried a Bergara barrel (.243 Win) and am very pleased with it. The problem with the Encore for precise shooting, besides the foreend situation as discussed above, is that reloads have to be full length sized. The action is just not as strong as a bolt action and the cartridge tends to stretch as a result of the action "giving" when fired with all but the mildest of loads. So, one does not have the advantage of fire forming cases to your particular chamber with the Encore. Although fine for general hunting, I would not recommend the Encore for precision long range shooting, especially in the heavier calibers.

I tried a Bergara barrel (.243 Win) and am very pleased with it. The problem with the Encore for precise shooting, besides the foreend situation as discussed above, is that reloads have to be full length sized. The action is just not as strong as a bolt action and the cartridge tends to stretch as a result of the action "giving" when fired with all but the mildest of loads. So, one does not have the advantage of fire forming cases to your particular chamber with the Encore. Although fine for general hunting, I would not recommend the Encore for precision long range shooting, especially in the heavier calibers.

I have necked sized in 22-250, .243, and 25-06 in my Encore with no issues.

I can get by with it for 1 or 2 reloads at moderate velocities/pressure, but with hot loads it can cause problems. I have talked to several others that experienced the same problem. Mike Bellm also talks about this on his site someplace.

I can get by with it for 1 or 2 reloads at moderate velocities/pressure, but with hot loads it can cause problems. I have talked to several others that experienced the same problem. Mike Bellm also talks about this on his site someplace.

I'll have to watch that in the future. I have not loaded most of my brass more than 2 or 3 reloads with neck sizing yet except the 22-250. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

i'm pretty sure Mike Bellm is the guy i was trying to remember yesterday. he puts any aftermarket barrel on your gun by cutting your barrel off about 3" from the breech, then drills and taps the ID of this 3" section to accept the new barrel.

i don't believe the break open actions to be the best platform for a long range gun.

i've always liked the "compactness" of the break barrels as opposed to the extremely lengthy guns that are normally used for long range hunting. i'm building one that is the best of both worlds. bolt action that is very compact.

I'll have to watch that in the future. I have not loaded most of my brass more than 2 or 3 reloads with neck sizing yet except the 22-250. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

The break action is simply not as solid as a bolt action with its locking lugs. What happens is, as the action flexes ever so slightly upon firing, the hot brass of the case stretches to fill the void, allowing the case to exceed the head space of the cold chamber. If the case is already at or near the max head space dimension, while it may still be loadable in the chamber due to the caming effect of the action closing, after firing the case is jamed in the chamber and you will not be able to open the action. Therefore you will have to drive the pivot pin out of the action in order to open it and extract your case. You certainly do not want to have to do this on a hunt as your single shot rifle will truely become a single shot! Therefore, after firing a case, especially if it is a hot load, it is best (or necessary) to bump the shoulder back slightly each time.

i bought a new T/C at the begining of september... just cant get it to shoot in nice grouping....

i will try a few different loads.. but as far as i know ... i am not satisfied yet...

T/C Pro Hunter
caliber : 7mm mag
Top Off with a new Nikon BDC 3x9-50 mm

first load used...

1 - Winchester 150 gr. Ballistics Silvertip ...

will keep you updated on loads ...

Thanks

i had an encore and liked it ok for short range work. The one i had shot fair. 1.5 in groups. My gunsmith HATES them says they usually wont shoot in a bucket. I have friends with them and none i have seen shot at the levels required for long range work.

I have shot and hunted with T/C break open type guns for the last 20 years. Started with the Contender, then Encore and G2. I've had .22LR up to 25 Bullberry and .50 cal muzzleloader in a Contender with great results. In the Encore, .223 up to 300 RUM and .50 cal muzzleloader, with good results. In that time I have never shot a factory T/C barrel that would shoot under 1 MOA @ 100yrds (they must exist somewhere!). Nor could I ever get one to clean!

There is a fix for the fore end issue, there was a compnay a few years ago that made fore end bars that bridged on the barrel and increased accuracy greatly - they are out of business now - Match Grade Machine is where most of the employees from that company now work - they make great aftermarket barrels to your specs. They could point you in the right direction...

There is one thing that all of the T/C break open actions all have in common - there is not one of them the same! To get the best accuracy from them you have to send your action in the custom barrel maker so they can "fit" the barrel to your action. They will have to check headspace and lockup to ensure everything is tight. Most of the time when they are done the locking lugs will only fit in that barrel with that action - it kindof takes away from the handiness of the "switch barrel" system. They can be made to shoot, but it takes a lot of work.

The design of the Encore simply does not render itself to extreme long range accuracy - to many moving pieces - 2 spring loaded locking lugs and lots of pressure on the fore end. Don't get me wrong, if you're looking for a more compact gun for hunting that you could shoot to 600 yrds then a "custom" T/C Encore would work just fine. But if you're looking for a gun that will be more consistant for longer ranges then a bolt gun is your rig

....that's my 2 cents...

I posted in this thread a long time ago, but my perceptions have changed. I put a 35 Whelen barrel on my encore and a pillared fore end. I also switched scopes to a zeiss conquest with mils. I have been shooting it out to 600 a good bit and am pretty impressed with it. I still would not shoot an animal at 600 with it even if I can smack steel. Here is what a 200gr TSX looks like when it smacks steel at 600.

DSCF3019.jpg

I've got several Encore barrels and they're all shooters. Most are in Varmint calibers and will shoot one hole groups with reloads. The 7-08 and 7 Mag will both shoot well less than 1" groups. Don't give up on them too quick. They will outshoot most factory bolt guns. They are just like any other rifle, you need to find what to feed it.

The Encore is the most versitile gun ever made. I can go from a 22 pistol to a 375 H&H Magnum and everything in between. Then you can swith barrels and change it to a shotgun or a great muzzleloader.

Great gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.