Thompson Center Encore

BlackSS

One thing that has not been mentioned to date is bench technique. The Encore rifle must be removed from the bags/rest each and every shot for reloading. In addition, how you close the action will have a significant affect on your groups. I have an Encore rifle built by Virgin Valley in 20BR that will produce groups that average less than 0.5MOA with a number of then closer to 0.25MOA. However these groups are only possible in this rifle if I consistantly close the action with the same amount of force AND pay attention to how the rifle is repositioned in the bags/rest. If I do not consistantly close the action I have learned the hard way that groups up to four inches tall and 3/8 wide have resulted.

Bottom line, with a good barrel and well fitted hinge pin AND good bench technique small groups are indeed possible.

Craig in SE Idaho

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that closing the action would be that significant. Anything particular you do or just consistency?

To achieve consistancy in the closing, I discovered that just raising the barrel and allowing the locking lugs to go into "battery" was the least consistant (in my Encore). I started to close the action by raising the barrel with a little more vigor but not slamming it closed seemed to produce better groups for me. I can reproduce the vertical stringing by combining these two methods of action closure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.