This Should Make Some Heads Spin

Great video….at least someone shows a spade is a spade.

Cheers.
I Know a black car when I see it

tenor.gif

6.5CM "ultimate LR cartridge" ??
WT-Frick? I dig the 6.5CM, and It's a defienlty a lot better than the 308, but "ultimate" anything it is not.

Readily available quality factory ammunition, high BC bullets, low recoil, inherently accurate, better Sectional density, and Better ballistics than the .308 all make it a logical choice over the 308, especially when speaking in regards to the .308 vs 6.5CM for use in the .Mil precision weapons systems

Only con as I see it is the barrel life

Last edited:
Not sure when the video was created, but if memory serves me correctly, Nosler developed the 26 Nosler to set it up as a 0 to 400 yard cartridge that would allow no holdover. I would have liked to see how that one would have held up in his test.

Ron's choices in the video are not impressing me. He is showing common cartridges that don't do too badly but IMO there are quite a few that are much flatter. The title says "flattest shooting cartridge ever", I disagree.

I remember many years ago John Lazzaroni made a special 308 warbird with 130 gr bullet. IIRC it was good to 500 yds without touching the turret or using stadia. He currently offers a 150 gr nickel/teflon plated X bullet @ 3819 fps

I have a few loads that are flat shooting:
300 Rum with a 168 Berger velocity 3560 fps
257 Weatherby and 115 Berger 3685 fps
6-284 and 55 gr nosler BT 4200 fps

Looking at Nosler's load data I found a few more

300 RUM and 125 nosler bt or accubond @ 3900 fps
7 Rum and 120 Nosler bt @ 3700 fps
26 Nosler and 100 gr ballistic tip 3960 fps
27 Nosler and 130 gr ballistic tip 3600 fps

I realize some of the aforementioned loads will have some wind drift at longer distances but Ron's video was titled FLAT SHOOTING CARTRIDGE.......

Bet there are some rifles that you guys shoot that blow these away.

It's not the Gospel, I was just glad to see as big of a Needmoor supporter that he is that he actually shows the 270 being better, @HARPERC, I'm not a real big fan of his either but as I said it was PO Ackleys book that drove me to turn everything into a Swift with the Mule being the king of the hill right now ;)

I like the 6mm-06 & 6mmAI with 95 gr. Berger VLD at 3400 - 3450 fps having a .92 (G7) or so form factor. There are flatter shooters but all give something up like wind drift, blast, recoil or range limitations. I remember the dead mule photo showing a tiny little .22 entrance wound.