This is why I whack coyotes.

It may seem cruel to kill those pups now but if you don't you and all the game around your place will pay later. Me and a buddy 3 turkey seasons ago called in a female coyote while turkey hunting early one morning. My buddy turned and blasted her . Didn't get a good kill shot and we thought she'd got away. After bout an hour of looking we jumped her up and got a kill shot on her just as she almost made into a hole under a big rock. Guess what we found there bones layin all over the place and we could hear the pups whining around. With a little bit of coaxing we got five to come out to us. I'll admit they were cute fuzzy little suckers, but in the end we knew what they would become. Big or small kill them all!!!

Well I can vouch for the fact that they grow up to be adult coyote . My best control work was taking dens when you could get a bunch all at the same time . If you get the chance to read some of the studies done by Texas at collage station they say you have to take at least 70 percent of the young coyote born every year to just keep the number of coyote from increasing . The parents are working overtime to feed them that means they are taking fawns , birds , livestock ect . to feed them . It's your decision . I have seen a lot of people that thought I was heart less because I could kill a pup but they could kill an adult and let the pups struggle to live .

Whats evweyones opinion on killing young (puppy size) coyote? I have a littwr of 5 living in a culvert on my property. I do have chickens, havent had any go missing yet, but am worried that if I let the coyote population go unchecked, I will have a problem. I do shoot adult ones.

Coyote pups grow up into coyotes, which eat chickens. If you would like to one day eat those chickens yourself, it would be a good idea to dust those pups. They're nothing but trouble, and this is the easiest opportunity you're ever gonna get to take them out.

Whats evweyones opinion on killing young (puppy size) coyote? I have a littwr of 5 living in a culvert on my property. I do have chickens, havent had any go missing yet, but am worried that if I let the coyote population go unchecked, I will have a problem. I do shoot adult ones.
Several years ago in September I howled on a ridge top while hunting yotes on a cattle ranch. 6 coyotes popped up on a rock and started howling back. I picked out the biggest one and shot him. He started the death spin and ALL of the other yotes attacked him. I started throwing hot lead at em and shot until I was almost out of ammo. I got 4 of the six pack. The big one was an adult male and the others were juveniles born that spring. They are ruthless cannibals. So my vote is kill the pups, and make some fuzzy slippers out of their hides to ease your conscience.

MZmoose , I have done the same thing with fox and coyote they think it's play time they don't understand that the other one is dying . At that time of the year they are still hunting with mom and dad so they aren't quite out of puppy hood yet and will be play full with any thing that's the way they learn to hunt and kill .

MZmoose , I have done the same thing with fox and coyote they think it's play time they don't understand that the other one is dying . At that time of the year they are still hunting with mom and dad so they aren't quite out of puppy hood yet and will be play full with any thing that's the way they learn to hunt and kill .
I don't think it was play time. They were taking chunks out of the big male before the shooting stopped. Besides I've shot several yotes over the years that were feeding on yesterday's dead yotes. And one of my best calls is coyote pup in distress. 2 big males running into that call drooling are expecting a meal.

You have seen what I never have seen . In all the years I've hunted coyote I have never seen that side of them . I have seen them nurse wounded coyote until they healed but never seen them eat another coyote interesting .

You have seen what I never have seen . In all the years I've hunted coyote I have never seen that side of them . I have seen them nurse wounded coyote until they healed but never seen them eat another coyote interesting .
There is a high population in this area and they are the top predator. The rancher told me in a bad winter years ago they lost 40 calves to coyotes.

I suspect it's like the Donner party it depends how hungary they get . I've seen them kill 40 to fifty percent of lamb crops plus a large portion of calf crops . I know that they take a huge percent of deer and antelope fawns , sage grouse ect. every year . There is so much out there to see and learn , I don't think there is a chance that one life time would scratch the surface on it .

Anyway back to the question.... No don't feel bad about taking out the coyote pups. They are a ruthless predator that have few predators of their own, and their numbers need to be controlled.

Here the only thing they are afraid of besides people is when the occasional golden eagles would be around,which isn't often.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.