This is why I don't like most other hunters I meet *pics*

I can understand that it wouldn't be that great to look at while out enjoying the outdoors but what does it hurt ? around my neck of the woods cattle farmers usually have a dump pit for dead cows and sometimes their not covered up . what is the difference with dead deer ? Wouldn't wild life take care of the remains.

BigBuck

Exactly all of the decaying matter wil return to the Earth, if not eaten by predators or scavengers

Yes, eventually nature will handle it, just hope they're far enough out of sight that the anti's don't have a field day.

Yes, eventually nature will handle it, just hope they're far enough out of sight that the anti's don't have a field day.

That is the problem, public land dump sites are just that public, any one and every one has an opportunity to see them and form an anti-dumpers/hunters opinion.

Rancher bone yards on private land is completly different.

I tracked down the dumper of 9 deer carcasses this winter, all dumped on a town road and 3 of the deer had only the backstraps removed. I gave him the oportunity to remove the carcasses and told him when I catch him the next time I won't be the one at his door.

Jim, glad you spoke up. Aside from the obvious reasons, it's the anti's that worry me the most...and you know the likes of CNN or NBC would probably run it...however briefly.

I can not tell from the pics, but if they were mostly intact animals have you thought about asking you Department of Transportation. The reason I ask is, I found a sight like this and found out is was the State police or department of transportaion dumping road kill. Just a thought.

If its poachers, set up an trail camera and try to get some pics.

I found these on a gravel/dirt road in the Black Hills National Forest, not very far from a main highway and only a couple of miles from Mt Rushmore. Since the weather is getting nicer, more people are getting out and enjoying the outdoors. The biggest industry of this area is tourism. All it would take is one tree hugger to see this dump site and it would be all over the news.
With all the snow we had over the winter, it was impossible to tell when these animals were killed. But by comparing the carcasses it appears that some were killed fairly recently, and it's been awhile since the season was in.
No one would want to see this in their yard. So why is it different since it's in the National Forest? Your yard belongs to you but the NF belongs to everyone. What if you lived across the road from this dump? I doubt anyone would say that it was ok since the carcasses will rot and return to the earth, sooner or later.

I can not tell from the pics, but if they were mostly intact animals have you thought about asking you Department of Transportation. The reason I ask is, I found a sight like this and found out is was the State police or department of transportaion dumping road kill. Just a thought.

If its poachers, set up an trail camera and try to get some pics.

That is the problem with this thread, it is titled "This is why I don't like most other hunters I meet" *pics*. Yet no hunters were ever met in this thread and he has no idea who dumped the carcasses. It could have been the DOT dumping road kill just as easy as it could have been someone else.

This thread is a thin vieled attempt to cast hunters in a negative light with out any proof what so ever

That is the problem with this thread, it is titled "This is why I don't like most other hunters I meet" *pics*. Yet no hunters were ever met in this thread and he has no idea who dumped the carcasses. It could have been the DOT dumping road kill just as easy as it could have been someone else.

This thread is a thin vieled attempt to cast hunters in a negative light with out any proof what so ever

I agree. This thread is a swing a hunters in general, and not something that I would expect to see here. I do not dis like most other hunters.

Perhaps SD has a land fill problem. If people are not willing to pay to get rid of the carcass then this is what happens.

I have been utilizing the out doors here in MT for a long time and have never found something like what is described here. I'm not buying that this is a hunter problem. Don't blame me or others like me with such a blanket statement. Figure out the real problem and stop blaming the hunters.

Steve

I found these on a gravel/dirt road in the Black Hills National Forest, not very far from a main highway and only a couple of miles from Mt Rushmore. Since the weather is getting nicer, more people are getting out and enjoying the outdoors. The biggest industry of this area is tourism. All it would take is one tree hugger to see this dump site and it would be all over the news.
With all the snow we had over the winter, it was impossible to tell when these animals were killed. But by comparing the carcasses it appears that some were killed fairly recently, and it's been awhile since the season was in.
No one would want to see this in their yard. So why is it different since it's in the National Forest? Your yard belongs to you but the NF belongs to everyone. What if you lived across the road from this dump? I doubt anyone would say that it was ok since the carcasses will rot and return to the earth, sooner or later.

I'm guessing that it could have been poachers or like someone has already said DOT . I kind of feel like the wardens already know who's doing it.

This is a slight turn in the thread but think about this .
It is illegal for you to take a dead dog and put it into a city dumpster did you know that ?
But you can put aborted life less innocent babies body parts in a city dumpster and it's legal . We should be jumping up and down about this insted of a few dead deer carcasses . Seems to me we have lost whats really important I mean the tree huggers will jump up and down over things of this nature but accept baby murder with open arms . Theirs something bad wrong when a man huggs trees , chases hoot owls and huggs dead deer carcasses.

I better stop before I get into trouble:)

BigBuck

I highly doubt the SDDOT did the dumping for two basic reasons. First, they have their own bone yard (or incinerator) to dispose of road kill. Second, why would they gut and skin any road kills and dump them so close to a National Monument?

I didn't start this post to **** people off, I was just showing the actions of some thoughtless individuals that make the rest of us look bad. I did make the mistake of an inappropriate title, and for that I apologize. If I had found this dump 15 miles in the "back country" I would not have cared about it and wouldn't have posted pics. I probability would have set up my trail camera to try and get some pics of mountain lions.

I am officially done with this post, but if anyone would like to debate this further feel free to email or message me directly. Semper Fi

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.