This is one very expensive hobby

wyomingblizzard

A few days a go I sent my sent a rather large check to Kirby for final payment on my new rifle. I havent even received shipment yet and I am already thinking of the next rifle! In some ways I think this site sucks:D:D, because of all the ideas of these vantastic rifles that are out there. Now I want to replace my ageing barreled 340 weatherby, not to worry I will use that action for a future project. To get to the point, I traded for a stock rem 700 in 7 rum, which I don't want, give me ideas what to turn it in to! I am thinking 300 rum or 338 edge. Please give me your ideal set up as in cartridge choice and barrel preference. I would like to keep wieght in the 12/15 pound range. I am looking for ideas on everything from stock to muzzle brake. I am trying to figure out how much overtime it will take to build this one! Thanks for your input.gun)

Since Kirby is building it, why not one of his Allen Magnums?

Regardless what you decide, I'm sure it'll be a shooter. I'm only <half an hour away from him and let me be the 1st one to volunteer and help in the break in process before you get the beast. :):Dgun)

Advance congrats and good luck!

Ed

Since Kirby is building it, why not one of his Allen Magnums?

Regardless what you decide, I'm sure it'll be a shooter. I'm only <half an hour away from him and let me be the 1st one to volunteer and help in the break in process before you get the beast. :):Dgun)

Advance congrats and good luck!

Ed

The one on its way is one of Kirbys 338AMs. Thinking of more of a packable hunting rifle for the next one.

I'm about in the same boat. In another 2-3 weeks my first full custom will arrive. I needed to put together something that would be better on barrels and allowed to hunt with in my area (caliber restriction). But now that it's almost here, my factory 300. Win mag is almost shot out, I'm thinking of using that action to start another build. It's addicting!

The wait times on the good stuff kill me. I like my gratification instant LOL!

The technology changing with every Shot Show is a budget killer as well.

I think I have my bases covered well enough at this point, I expect to spend my dollars on schools that teach me how it all comes together.

A few days a go I sent my sent a rather large check to Kirby for final payment on my new rifle. I havent even received shipment yet and I am already thinking of the next rifle! In some ways I think this site sucks:D:D, because of all the ideas of these vantastic rifles that are out there. Now I want to replace my ageing barreled 340 weatherby, not to worry I will use that action for a future project. To get to the point, I traded for a stock rem 700 in 7 rum, which I don't want, give me ideas what to turn it in to! I am thinking 300 rum or 338 edge. Please give me your ideal set up as in cartridge choice and barrel preference. I would like to keep wieght in the 12/15 pound range. I am looking for ideas on everything from stock to muzzle brake. I am trying to figure out how much overtime it will take to build this one! Thanks for your input.gun)

Tell us about the new rifle you are about to receive and your intended use for it. Based on that, we can provide some suggestions and recommendations on a next build. Without any information, I'll say you need a collection of rifles that covers all your various hunting and shooting scenarios.

My personal collection has two 'prone guns' meaning they are fairly heavy and best suited for setting up and shooting. Not very good for hauling around. One is a 260Rem which I use for tactical matches and the other is a 7saum that I also use for tactical matches and is my go-to rifle for longrange hunting on big game like deer. My other rifle is a 'sporter' type rifle that weighs 8lbs in 280Rem. It's my carry-rifle and is capable of shooting longrange when loaded with 168grain pills.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-7saum-hawk-hill-custom-135561/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

The rifle on its way from Kirby is one of his 338 Allen Mags, 34" barrel, MacMillan A5 stock, Bat action. This is going to be a little heavy to pack very far! I already have sevral sporter factory riflles from 22-250 to 340 Weatherby. For the next rifle I would like to build a long range hunter/target (not competition) shooter. I have been thinking 300 or 338 rum, but I am open to any thing that will work with my donor action. I dont want another sporter type for this one. I already have rifels suited to light wieght packing. Unfortunately for my bank acount, I dont belive in the one "do it all" rifle theory!

Morning, why don't u rebarrel ur 340W?? I am having another 340W built. 30" Shilen Match Select barrel SS. If u can find a better all around caliber let me know. I hand load and this is a beast. Blank barrel delivered $500. U have the action, brass, bullets primers and dies.

Mr Weatherby, Mr. Gibbs and Mr. Achley knew what they were doing.

Just Countrylightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.