This is crazy!

Our Montana elk outfitter had this happen. He and the cook packed out of the Bob to pick us up in Ovando and pack us to camp. They left their wrangler in camp by himself to mind the livestock. We ride into camp 3 days later. Here comes this wreck of a human - the wrangler - crying and screaming at us to lock and load. I thought he'd lost his mind - or had a stash of 'something' in camp.

Turns out, as soon as the outfitter left camp, the Griz moved in to take over. That bear terrorized the wrangler for 3 days straight - like hourly. When the bear heard our approach, it left camp. The tents were torn up, the cook tent was destroyed, the horses and mules were scratched up. It was a mess. The poor wrangler hadn't had any food or sleep for the duration. He was a mess. Took us 3 more days to get things straightened out. Then the Griz came back in the same attack mode. We lost 2 more days of hunting time just being in protect and survive mode. Griz finally pushed it a way bit too far. Killed one of the horses and started to chase the guide. One round of my 338-06 solved the problem. Lost the rest of the hunt to pack out, and get fish and game back to camp after we reported the kill and 'investigate'. They looked at the destruction in camp, took pictures of the dead horse and listened to the wrangler's story. They thanked us for a good kill and left camp the next day. End of elk hunt. Not good.
If that wrangler was not armed, stupid. If he was and didn't use whatever he had , stupid. Because he didn't look what happened. Wrecked equipment, loss of hunt and worse a dead horse ? Very stupid. Hopefully he learned a lesson. Haven't read anything about this happening .

Got that right ! I'm not sure if my last 2 shots would be 00 buck or first two. I'm thinking last two.
I kind of go the opposite. I put a 3 1/2 inch 000 Buck first because I expect to be surprised by a charge. I figure the first shot is going to be fired in a hurry and rushed. Then I have slugs for the rest. Not sure if it's right or wrong, and I've also never had the experience of being charged.

I kind of go the opposite. I put a 3 1/2 inch 000 Buck first because I expect to be surprised by a charge. I figure the first shot is going to be fired in a hurry and rushed. Then I have slugs for the rest. Not sure if it's right or wrong, and I've also never had the experience of being charged.
I was just thinking with buck shot you'd have less chance to miss at close range. You may only get one shot off . Or none... Or maybe from the ground. Then pistol most likely better. Here we go again! Lol ! It's all good.

I was just thinking with buck shot you'd have less chance to miss at close range. You may only get one shot off . Or none... Or maybe from the ground. Then pistol most likely better. Here we go again! Lol ! It's all good.
Agreed the first round on buck is probably the only shot that would get fired. Hard to figure a scenario where four or five shots would be fired.

A hunter that had a false charge by a grizz was told by a game warden that I better see lots of scratches and wounds before I will sign off on killing one of MY grizz.That should mean they are responsible for THEIR bear's actions!
Right?
Oh yes I carry a S&W 629 44 mag but when an attack comes it will seem like a cap pistol at first

If that wrangler was not armed, stupid. If he was and didn't use whatever he had , stupid. Because he didn't look what happened. Wrecked equipment, loss of hunt and worse a dead horse ? Very stupid. Hopefully he learned a lesson. Haven't read anything about this happening .
hopefully he is not working any longer in the woods with any guides

A number of years ago, a ADFG biologist did a video ( Wade Nolan ? ) that mentioned a pellet of 00 buck from a 12 gauge would penetrate the skull of a brown/grizzly within twelve yards, if I remember it correctly. No experience with it myself.

Recent Posts