This forum is funny because...

engineer40

I find this forum funny because of what it does to me mentally. Let me explain...

At least once a week I talk myself into "needing" a 300 RUM.

Do I really need a rifle like this for anything right now or even in the foreseeable future? Absolutely not... But why do I keep talking myself into and then back out of getting one?

I have been visiting the shotgun slug area of the forum lately and everyone keeps talking about the Savage 220 being the most accurate option available. Last night I was really considering going to look at some and possibly buying one.

Then I remembered, I have NEVER once missed a deer with my Remington 870 12 gauge slug gun. In fact not only have I never missed a deer, I have never had to track a deer after I've shot them with my current setup. They just get blown to the ground. And to take this a step further, from where I whitetail hunt I have never seen a deer that I thought was out of range for my current setup. Literally there are no downsides to just keeping the proven system I already have.

A couple months ago I also talked myself into "needing" a thermal scope on my AR for coyote hunting at night.

Psssht... I'm ridiculous. I don't even get out hunting enough now during the day with my varmint guns, let alone making it out at night.

It's a constant struggle to keep my ego in check corresponding with my bank account + my time. But I guess life would be pretty boring if we only purchased what we "need". :)

I'm absolutely dying laughing right now! I can't even count the hours spent on building a new rifle in my head. I helped a buddy pour some concrete over at BAT machine in Rathdrum, ID, and after a tour of the factory from Bruce, I was convinced that my MKV in 340wby was just not up to standard. It hasn't even given an elk a chance to feel bad out to 425yds! I do, however really appreciate the format of this forum and the wealth of information exchange and troubleshooting that so many phenomenal loaders and shooters are so ready to share, as well as the way most really keep their egos in check. (I'd have a really hard time if I were that knowledgable). Despite the imaginary draining of my bank account and new gunsmithing setup that likely never will be, I see myself continuing to glean as much info as possible...... thanks guys. BTW, what do you think of a...... never mind.:D

Yes, absolutely agree. Just in case my jovial humor didn't come through in my original post; I also love this forum and find it very helpful.

Any poking fun was directed at myself; not this forum. :)

It came through loud and clear. I hope mine was the same. Just been wanting to thank everyone for helping a newbie. I've been shooting all my life, but the folks on here are a few steps above and opened up a whole new world in my thinking on the possibilities of lrh. Now if only that G7 BR2 would go on sale... oh and the Razor gen 2 4-27x56 and if Len or Shawn would like to donate a.....:rolleyes:

I find myself in good company! I'm talking myself into something daily/weekly and a lot of stuff I just want for no other reason than for just in case! I have plenty of rifles of all calibers although most are bolt action, have a few shotguns, couple black powder rifles that really shoot. Now that I'm retired hopefully I can get to do more shooting and more long range practice!

Im glad i'm not alone!!

This thread really has me smiling, I have been telling myself i needed a .284 caliber gun for the past year. I spent the last 3 months putting one together. GREAT. awesome gun, but guess what? One of my friends just bought a 338 RUM and decided i could shoot it.

WHOA - 300 gr. bergers at 2750??? Man that had my wheels turning, now my 7mm build isnt good enough, gotta have a G7, gotta buy an atlas bipod, I jump on the facebook (just signed up a month ago) and everyone is building 3k plus builds with nightforce & vortex rzr scops - > blah, blah, blah.

Its a battle i tell ya! This is not a average man's income sport. It amazes me the money i see dumped into these rifles. It sure makes me want them! I suspect there is a whole lot of men out there making great money or they have a great supply of Visa & MC's lying around!

Yup! It's not for everyone! I suppose I could sell a few scopes or rifles and build me the long range rifle of my lifetime but I find myself the same way with guns as I was when I had a shop years ago and did muscle car restorations. I always thought I needed that Camaro or that 65 mustang, nova/chevelle etc. I would build them and they would be awesome then I'd get tired of them and want to build another. I do think it is a little more reasonable up to a point buying guns or building a few. I just always think I need that one more caliber that better stock or that scope. It never ends but I'm so happy to be having these dilemmas when I see that I'm in good company and that I'm not the only one! We all know it could always be worse!

When i stumbled upon this Forum, i had a pretty good load worked up for my 30-06. Then I started reading and realized i needed heavy bullets. I now have 10 loads for that rifle that shoot really well. Then i got a .243 and worked up a good load for it. Then a 22-250, and a AR, then 2-3 weeks ago i picked up a Vanguard 300 Weatherby found a load for it. If i wouldn't have stumbled on to this site, I would have probably been still shooting those 165 inter-locs and been happy. Just yesterday i put a Ruger American predator 6.5 Creedmoor on back order. After that I'm ordering a .284 cal of some flavor, all the while not realizing my safe is out of room, literally i have guns piled on top of each other. But... I'm spending my money on the guns for now...lol

*facepalm*

Amen brothers. I started out wanting a new "hunting" rifle. I almost bought a used rem 700 from a buddy of mine for about 400$. After coming to the forum for a few years. I decided this year was going to be the year I make the plunge. Ive got plenty of rifles..but seems more and more of them are getting sacrificed for my first real build. After the Bat, the xlr, the krieger, and all the other nonsense....ive poured about 4000 into this **** thing and I aint finished yet!!!

GOTTA LOVE IT

The wife calls my hobby "the illness". :rolleyes:

I got my wife understanding that guns almost always go up in value over time. So I don't have a "hobby", I have "investments".

Just like the acreage I bought up north. That's also an "investment"!

You have to love investments that you can use and have fun with too. :D

It's so true about this being an illness/addiction. I initially got into this with a sporter weight 270 win and I thought it was so cool when I first got good enough to hit a milk jug at 550 yards. 7 years later I have found that I'm literally spending thousands in order to shrink groups by thousandths. And I wouldn't have it any other way. The time, patience, knowledge and skills are all worth it.

It's so true about this being an illness/addiction. I initially got into this with a sporter weight 270 win and I thought it was so cool when I first got good enough to hit a milk jug at 550 yards. 7 years later I have found that I'm literally spending thousands in order to shrink groups by thousandths. And I wouldn't have it any other way. The time, patience, knowledge and skills are all worth it.

I've found myself spending thousands helping others with shooting sports including efforts to improve hunting access. I would wonder how many others have a similar outlook, donating time and money toward hunting access and wildlife conservation being an illness/addiction they wouldn't have any other way and well worth it?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.