This ever happen to you? Second time for me (in 36 yrs)

royinidaho

Was out tuning up the 375 this morning. Was inspired by Ian's story in the AM Hntr.

Was shooting 3 shot groups @ 100 yds. Load 3, walk out back to the bench and shoot 3, change targets. You know, the standard routine.

After about the 3rd group, I had just returned to the bench and put the shells in the tray when what do I see but ol' Mr. Coyote loping across @ about 150 yds.

Well, needless to say after some scratching for traction, trying to compensate for the lope, lead was right on, elevation was just low enough to MISS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

But if it had been a big brown bear, I'd a got 'em.

Guess I'll have to wait another 36 years. Last time it was a red fox @ a range in Newport News VA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Only the time I was at the range fireforming brass for an elk hunt, when a group of elk happened on to the range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I once flew to the UK for a long weekends Roe stalking in Scotland. I flew in to Humberside Airport and my Dad picked me up. I had a jeep parked at my folks place and just before the 4 hour trip north to Scotland i decided to just go to the farm and have a quick zero check, you never know after flying, those baggage monkeys don't take care of anything. I was just about to pull the trigger on a paper target when i saw 2 Roe deer down in a dale. Darn if it wasn't the whiley old buck i had been after for the last 5 seasons accompanied by a Doe. I ranged the buck at 325m adjusted the PMII and dropped him in his tracks witha 180gr interlock. Biggest Roe Buck i ever saw alive or personaly shot.
Took him home and dressed him out, set of 4 hours late for Scotland, hadn't gone 50 miles when i got a flat, finaly got tho Scotland and didn't see a deer all weekend. typical, i'd have been better of quitting whilst i was ahead and going for a beer with my ole Dad..
strange how things happen ain't it?
Pete

Well when the guys from Utah brought the MOAG up to Id we had a yote come bee-boping over the hill to within 50 yards during a lul in the shooting. 7 guys and only one had a gun in their hands. Gonehuntingagain ran for his AR and got a few shots off while Goodgrouper spun off the bench for an offhand shot or two with his purple bolt gun. 6mmBR I think. One of the guys first shot stumbled the dog and several shots followed but after the first round went off the tail went up and the blue flame came out and that ol' boy was G-O-N-E gone.

I had a customer come in to have a shotgun fit to his 13 yr old son for Turkey hunting. They had spent several hundred dollars on calls, clothes and classes on Turkey hunting at the warehouse sporting goods store up the block. I told the son to bring me a picture of his bird when he got one and I'd hang it up on the wall. The next weekend his back with a picture for me of a nice tom, he started telling me how they had gotten the camp set up a few days before the season started and had scouted hard for hunting spots and birds. Come opening day they left mom and little brother sleeping in the tent and were set up before sun rise in a good blind, they started calling but nothing came in or even answered them. They decided to go in for lunch and then try another spot in the afternoon, they came into camp and had lunch and took a nap before setting out again. They got up around 4PM and put on fresh face paint for the afternoon hunt, as they stepped out of the tent there was mom and little brother feeding chips to 9 turkeys. To there credit they didn't start shooting right then instead they gave them a 30 minuet head start.

A few years ago at the Fernan range near Couer D' Alene Id. the July 4th Independance Day Machine Gun Shoot was called cease fire so a cow moose and calf could cross the range. They were in no big hurry and could be seen walking in the distance after the shooting started again.

I had a customer come in to have a shotgun fit to his 13 yr old son for Turkey hunting. They had spent several hundred dollars on calls, clothes and classes on Turkey hunting at the warehouse sporting goods store up the block. I told the son to brin

I had a customer come in to have a shotgun fit to his 13 yr old son for Turkey hunting. They had spent several hundred dollars on calls, clothes and classes on Turkey hunting at the warehouse sporting goods store up the block. I told the son to bring me a picture of his bird when he got one and I'd hang it up on the wall. The next weekend his back with a picture for me of a nice tom, he started telling me how they had gotten the camp set up a few days before the season started and had scouted hard for hunting spots and birds. Come opening day they left mom and little brother sleeping in the tent and were set up before sun rise in a good blind, they started calling but nothing came in or even answered them. They decided to go in for lunch and then try another spot in the afternoon, they came into camp and had lunch and took a nap before setting out again. They got up around 4PM and put on fresh face paint for the afternoon hunt, as they stepped out of the tent there was mom and little brother feeding chips to 9 turkeys. To there credit they didn't start shooting right then instead they gave them a 30 minute head start.

I've never heard of a moose being that far south near town. Farthest south I know of was in a farmers field on Atlas and Prarie roads. That must have been a fun sight for all at the shoot. Very few people ever get to see a moose much less during a rock n roll session. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is a two hour drive to where I bowhunt so I have to get up and leave by 4:00 in the morning Nearly always see more deer while driving out of town than I see in the woods while hunting.

Back in 1975, I was going through field training at Camp Bullis Texas. We were on the machine gun range and had just started night fire execises in the late evening while it was still daylight. As we commenced fire, two jackrabbits ran onto the range and immediately eighteen M60 machineguns opened up on them. Tracers were going everywhere and so were the rabbits. Nobody hit either one of them. Luckiest rabbits I ever saw!

Roy something very similar has happened to me on two different occasions. The first time was 5 years ago I was on a long pulpwood road in my hunting club doing a little zero varification after a rough day hunting the day before. I had ranged 100 yards and set up a target then walked back and took 2 shots verifying my poi was still intact after which I started walking back to gather my target to only get half way there and a nice whitetail buck stepped into the road about 50 yards the other side of my target looked at me and just stood there. I broke into a sprint back to my truck only to catch a glimpse just as he stepped into the trees! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif 2nd time was two years later same spot this time a coworker was with me and we were setting his new scope rifle combo he had just gotten the day before and again half way to the target a nice buck pops out this time he is around 375 to 400 yards and has no clue we are there yet! Long story short same thing happened by the time we got back to the truck he was disappearing into the trees! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Now I never ever walk to my target during deer season without a rifle ready to go on my shoulder!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When I was 15 growing up in Idaho I was deer/ elk hunting and had to take an emergency dump. I put my rifle against a tree and found a nice spot and was getting down to business. I looked up and there was the biggest mule deer I have ever seen between me and my gun. I should have thrown the roll of tp at him cause it was a mess trying to sprint past him with my pants down to get to the gun before he dissappeared. Needless to say it didn't work.

There was this time I was elk hunting and came across a huge flock of fool hens. I leaned my rifle against a tree and chased those birds for hours throwing rocks and having a killing. When I was done it took me about 4 hours to find my gun. It was worth it though cause those grouse were tasty!

I was guiding some clients on an elk hunt and it was lunch / nap time so we ate and had a snooze in the most horrific burned out area we were hunting in. I mean this place was smoked. no shade and it looked like the lunar surface. I was awakened by one of my hunters shaking me saying there was an elk. I didn't even open my eyes and said yeah right! he said no really and I told him to shoot it, he said his bow was about 20 feet away and the elk were in the way! I looked up and a cow and calf were standing there about 15 feet looking at us wondering what the hell was laying on the side of that mountain in the middle of nothing but black ash. He talked about that for the rest of the week.

I got more if anyone wants to here about some great follies!

[ QUOTE ]
When I was 15 growing up in Idaho I was deer/ elk hunting and had to take an emergency dump. I put my rifle against a tree and found a nice spot and was getting down to business. I looked up and there was the biggest mule deer I have ever seen between me and my gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently your grandpa didn't tell you to always keep your gun within reach when your *** is hanging over a log! Mine did because he shot plenty animals that way. He almost got knocked back into the 'pile' from doing so. So be careful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.