This came to me from another thread.

Probably happens more than what guys think. Messes up a lot- eye relief, natural point of aim, recoil management, proper follow through. You end up fighting the rifle and position. I get it, you purchase a rifle (especially non adjustable stocks) and adjust yourself to fit it instead of vice versa. This throws things off immediately and you have to make due. LOP, cheek/comb height, and butt height all matter.
I agree and will add it DOES happen more than people think. Until someone is shown what a proper fitting rifle feels like, I honestly believe that most don't know and just assume it's good enough.

Today my new -20 MOA scope track came in. I mounted the scope on my new Lapua 338 for the first time. Two weeks ago I did a week end of shooting with the instructors 6.5 Creedmoor. During that time I had a hard time getting a good scope picture because the comb was too high and my high cheek bones were causing me
troubles (like Pocahontas did). But even with those troubles I did pretty well at 955 yards. Today after mounting the scope and laying my face on the comb, it was too LOW. WOW what a difference when I strapped on the cheek riser and I was comfortable for the first time. Perfect eye relief and so broad that I could move around and was still in the box. I cant wait to get this gun on the range....2 miles here I come.....

Actually, 'Cast' is the word you're looking for here. Depending on your facial structure you may need more cast either on or off. This very common in shotgun fitting - and the same concept applies to rifles.

This is correct. "Cast off" is butt to the right typically for a right handed shooter. "Cast on" is butt to the left usually for lefties. Having the stock out just a little bit allows your eye to center up down the barrel. I have a 100+ yr old Fox AE 16ga SxS that fits better than any other gun I've ever used. It has cast off that I think is the biggest contributor. A rifle isn't as critical on fit but it can certainly make a difference. With everything else we do, why not make them fit?

Last edited:
It happens more than we think.

I recently noticed that on my Rem 700 in 7 Rem Mag the scope was too high (its a 50mm scope) and my head was almost floating in the air for me to see clearly. I then tried my 7mm-08 and I had the same issue but not as much. Had my wife try her rifle and same problem.

I order three comb raising kits from Beartooth and problem solved. They work great and my wife likes how it looks on her rifle. I really like how they can be adjusted and fit perfectly.

Stay safe

Gunstocks are a influenced by tradition and some of those traditions no longer apply. Originally the length of pull was a function of keeping your face away from the flash pan. Even when priming caps were brought in the length didn't change much. When cartridge rifles came in they were still iron sighted so length of pull wasn't as critical as with optics. It wasn't until the 1960's that scopes hit the big time and became the sight of choice but a hundred plus years of rifle design didn't change immediately. In fact, it changed very little. Combs have been raised somewhat but in many cases not enough, especially on rifles that still have iron sights, and my pet peeve, of course, is length of pull. So many people I have hunted and shot with over the years have their rifles out on their shoulder and have to lean their head because the rifle won't fit on their collar bone, allowing them to see through the scope. Ring extensions are almost a must on rifles to keep from stretching your neck forward and if you are wearing bulky clothing or a daypack all you are going to see is a peephole through your scope. Most of my adult life I was a six foot, two hundred pound, working man and all my stocks were cut to 13" or a little less for length of pull. When other guys put my rifles up they were either amazed at how well it fit or worried that the scope would hit them in the eye when they fired. It never did, besides scopes are moveable. When the thumb knuckle on your trigger hand is hitting you in the face, then it's too short.

Dsheetz it was your thread and my expierence while shooting that prompted me to post this. For your thread I say thank it made me think how many of us struggle. This winter I am really going to take a look at my rifles. Not all are bad but some of them do need a little help.

I like a 13" trigger pull, having short arms and a short neck. The new short scopes have made it even more important, not able to bring them back far enough in the rings. When other people pull my rifles up, they usually comment the fit is really good. Tall shooters are the exception.

I order three comb raising kits from Beartooth and problem solved. They work great and my wife likes how it looks on her rifle. I really like how they can be adjusted and fit perfectly.
I've used one of those as well, very comfy.😁
One problem I see is when guys add too their stock for height they also end up adding to the side where their face is and have their head laid over and not more upright. I also see guys that place the buttstock into the "pocket" of their shoulder and have to lean their head way over to see through the scope/sights.

I am mounting my scope now and , as recommended by the pikatiny rail manuf, have applied Locktite Blue to the mounting screws. But I am thinking, after I get the scope leveled and aligned with the rifle, I should also use Locktite Blue on the ring screws. But then I wonder if removing the screws will be necessary. I know, the blue stuff doesent make them un removable, but...........

I've used one of those as well, very comfy.😁
One problem I see is when guys add too their stock for height they also end up adding to the side where their face is and have their head laid over and not more upright. I also see guys that place the buttstock into the "pocket" of their shoulder and have to lean their head way over to see through the scope/sights.

I know that you mean and they are comfortable. You have to play with the foam inserts until they end up exactly where you need them.

On a wide stock they fit better on top and leaning just a bit towards the check. On a thin factory stock for me I have them leaning a bit towards my cheek and my head sits straight on the stock and perfectly aligned with the scope.

Everyone is built different so it takes a few minutes to align it perfectly. My godson tried mine and he's got big cheeks so it had his head a little crooked like you mentioned.

Stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.