This came to me from another thread.

Now that it seems we all agree most are shooting with stocks that don't fit. How can a guy add a little cant to the right on a synthetic stock. I think cant is the term I am looking for to move back of the stock left or right. If I am wrong please correct me as it is nice to know the proper terms. In my case I know I don't need a lot maybe 1/16th of an inch. Maybe this is a lot as I am new to this aspect of shooting. Been shooting for decades always been the one adjusting mysef to fit the stock though.
Offset. Depends on what you wish to do to the stock. Cheek risers with offset pads, internal risers with offset adjustable riser, stick on cheek pads....

Most don't need an offset pad. Most need to line up directly behind the rifle and don't need a montecarlo offset stock. Being aligned directly behind the rifle puts your face in line with the stock and usually a simple riser helps. Now, a karsten riser or others actually do stick out to the side of the stock a bit and by default give you a bit of offset. For example, a tradition stock has a narrow peak vs a aftermarket riser. The riser is as wide as the mid section of the stock and rounds off gently at the cheek.

Last edited:
Wow, this is illuminating. Two weeks ago I was taking training on LRS and noticed that it was difficult to get a good eye relief position because the stock was too high for my cheek. .....now i am going to take a file to it....maybe....I was blaming myself.

Now that it seems we all agree most are shooting with stocks that don't fit. How can a guy add a little cant to the right on a synthetic stock. I think cant is the term I am looking for to move back of the stock left or right. If I am wrong please correct me as it is nice to know the proper terms. In my case I know I don't need a lot maybe 1/16th of an inch. Maybe this is a lot as I am new to this aspect of shooting. Been shooting for decades always been the one adjusting mysef to fit the stock though.
Actually, 'Cast' is the word you're looking for here. Depending on your facial structure you may need more cast either on or off. This very common in shotgun fitting - and the same concept applies to rifles.

The top of the stock is called Comb. Offset comb is what you are likely wanting to address if searching the net for parts or talking to a smith.

I had a Winchester extreme weather model 70 in .270 with a B&C stock that always seemed to kick my butt. Now I have a 6.5 PRC in a manners EH6 that weighs less and hardly kicks at all. For me an EH1 and the EH6 are just about perfect. A stock that fits you is worth every penny, but its not always possible to hold them in person. I know manners will send you some to test fit, just pay for shipping. With other manufacturer's I've had luck tracking down factory rifles that have their stocks on them to get a feel for it. If you're planning a road trip see if you'll be near a stock company's headquarters, it might be worth stopping in and trying some out for future reference.

The importance of fit is really highlighted for me when I take a gun that fits me like a glove and watch my girlfriend or a buddy try to get comfortable behind it.

Yes, it is very common with the "one size fits all" stocks. The good old days of being "fitted" by the local gunsmith/stock maker are nearly all gone, but there are options available in adjustable stocks. I have trimmed, shaved, padded, extended, etc several of my stocks to fit better and similar for the kids when they were still young.

It was/is a rare factory rifle/shotgun fixed stock that fits well, and our adjustable skeet/trap gunstocks were years ahead of the game. Same for the 22LR position target rifles.

There is a couple ways to look at this, one is to fit your rifle for a natural point if aim like for wing shooting, this works excellent for a lot of rifles and people. You can also make them so you set the rifle up make minimal contact and just touch the trigger and free recoil it, for a straight long range, prone gun that's the way to go by far but you have to use optic of a quality you can dial out all parallax and have an easy eye box. I shoot both, the free recoil gun is much, much easier to shoot and other people can get behind it and shoot to the same point.
If you can get your hands on the older flint locks from the late 1600's early 1700 you will see how much we've forgotten, simply amazing rifles for of hand and really fall into and instinctive type of shooting that the act of pulling up, sighting, tracking and shot all can be fluid motion because of the fit.

How many of us shooters are shooting rifles that just really don't fit us. This came to me yesterday when I was out shooting. The rifle I noticed it on most was my Sako 300Wby with a Bell and Carlson stock. In order to keep my sight picture clear I had to beon top of the stock. My thought was if this stock had a ever so slight of pitch to the right it would be better. Then it hit me a lot of my rifles truly don't fit perfectly but a guy just gets along with them. How many others have found things like this too.
It's the minutiae that separates the shooters from the trigger pullers.

Sorry, thought you were saying the chassis are too heavy and went with a adjustable stock for weight savings.
no I love my match gun but just went back to a some what reg stock for hunting up here I do all proof carbonfiber barrels now for hunting and a proof there S.S. for my match rifle

I think many of the issues of stock not fitting are a product of comfort, familiarity and technique. However, over the course of thousands of interactions with customers at training events, there is plenty of data points supporting some body types/sizes that require a different setup. Most problems were resolved with position adjustment, buttstock location, and shifting anchor from cheek to jaw.

Our first stock design was not ambidextrous, and had a ton of cast-off, and toe-out. They fit very nice but increase the tendency of a barrel move left on firing. Already an issue from bullet spin-up torque. I think the subject of fit and performance is fascinating!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.