This came to me from another thread.

WildBillG

How many of us shooters are shooting rifles that just really don't fit us. This came to me yesterday when I was out shooting. The rifle I noticed it on most was my Sako 300Wby with a Bell and Carlson stock. In order to keep my sight picture clear I had to beon top of the stock. My thought was if this stock had a ever so slight of pitch to the right it would be better. Then it hit me a lot of my rifles truly don't fit perfectly but a guy just gets along with them. How many others have found things like this too.

Probably happens more than what guys think. Messes up a lot- eye relief, natural point of aim, recoil management, proper follow through. You end up fighting the rifle and position. I get it, you purchase a rifle (especially non adjustable stocks) and adjust yourself to fit it instead of vice versa. This throws things off immediately and you have to make due. LOP, cheek/comb height, and butt height all matter.

Here is good example of making a rifle fit me. This is my
IMG_20200222_123103.jpg
Marlin 1894 that I modified long again to fit. When I bring up it is "right on" for the 2x scope I use. Friends call it my shark rifle.

I think this is why alot of people fall in love with one brand or another rifle. It fit's. It makes it so much easier especially for folks that don't take shooting as seriously to get great accuracy (relative) from a rifle that fits. Good fit and a reasonably decent trigger make any rifle VERY accurate to the average deer hunter.

How many of us shooters are shooting rifles that just really don't fit us. This came to me yesterday when I was out shooting. The rifle I noticed it on most was my Sako 300Wby with a Bell and Carlson stock. In order to keep my sight picture clear I had to beon top of the stock. My thought was if this stock had a ever so slight of pitch to the right it would be better. Then it hit me a lot of my rifles truly don't fit perfectly but a guy just gets along with them. How many others have found things like this too.
most just make it work but when you shoot a stock that fit you it just works better and when you change from standing to prone one that adjs is well worth it for most just hunters that use there rifle in the fall and shoot out to 300 yards a reg stock works fine but if you shoot year around and at longer range 800 and out longer then one with a adjustable LOP and adjustable cheek riser is best.

I found this same issue when I got into precision shooting and noticed how much variation there is in fit. I began adding cheap risers, then better risers, making my own, then learned how to install KMW loggerhead internal risers. Now I prefer a chassis. Options for light chassis are available, just super expensive, I can't imagine going back. If I do run a traditional stock I just modify it to fit me. I don't know why people get so hung up on not wanting to modifying a stock.

I switched to MDT chassis just for this reason
yes a lot of hunters are now using chassis now I went to the AI 2.0 when they came out with it for Rem 700 a long time ago but two years ago I went back to fully adj stock for weight took me down from 22 1/2lbs to 11 lbs on one rifle and 8 1/2 on the other rifle

yes a lot of hunters are now using chassis now I went to the AI 2.0 when they came out with it for Rem 700 a long time ago but two years ago I went back to fully adj stock for weight took me down from 22 1/2lbs to 11 lbs on one rifle and 8 1/2 on the other rifle
MPA and XLR both make sub 3 lb chassis. My chassis is sub 3 as well. My rifle is 10#'s ready to shoot with suppressor. You can have chassis rifle that isn't that heavy.
IMG_9815.jpg

Now that it seems we all agree most are shooting with stocks that don't fit. How can a guy add a little cant to the right on a synthetic stock. I think cant is the term I am looking for to move back of the stock left or right. If I am wrong please correct me as it is nice to know the proper terms. In my case I know I don't need a lot maybe 1/16th of an inch. Maybe this is a lot as I am new to this aspect of shooting. Been shooting for decades always been the one adjusting mysef to fit the stock though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.