Thinking of buying new ar-15 barrel

Vortex!

Is this a good barrel?
Ballistic Advantage Premium Series 20" .224 Valkyrie Fluted DMR Contour 1:7 Stainless AR-15 Barrel

I decided on a 16" 6.5 Grendel for closer range deer hunting, Faxon barrel in their "Gunner" (light) profile. My research led me to think that the Grendel was the best cartridge option for my hunting with an AR-15.
I ordered some Sledge Hammer bullets for it. Steve told me to expect the bullets to pass through. Anxious to try it soon for deer season.

I decided on a 16" 6.5 Grendel for closer range deer hunting, Faxon barrel in their "Gunner" (light) profile. My research led me to think that the Grendel was the best cartridge option for my hunting with an AR-15.
I ordered some Sledge Hammer bullets for it. Steve told me to expect the bullets to pass through. Anxious to try it soon for deer season.
. I'm curious what kind of accuracy you're getting?

Thanks MudRunner2005. They are currently out of stock. I want to get a 20 in barrel. Any thoughts on that if I should go longer to utilize the cartridge?

Thanks MudRunner2005. They are currently out of stock. I want to get a 20 in barrel. Any thoughts on that if I should go longer to utilize the cartridge?
There is minimal utilizing of the cartridge above a 18" barrel. I thought the same way at first, as I was building a DMR, but after I built it, I realized I had a brain fart, because the .308 Win holds almost 20 grains more of the same powder, and it gets nearly a complete burn in a 16"-20" barrel...But shows some added performance up to a 24"-26" barrel from the extra powder gasses. That means anything really past a 18" barrel for the Grendel will be minimal performance gains, but will make it harder to tote and a bit more unwieldy. I'm still keeping my rifle as a DMR setup, so this is why I'm planning on pulling the 24" barrel on my Grendel for one of those 20" barrels I posted a link to. Plus, if you plan on running a suppressor, you got to take into account the extra length for that, as well. A 20" + 8" can, or 24" + 8" can... The 20" will be stiffer and 4" shorter for more portability...Especially when hunting.

I already have a Grendel with a 20 in barrel but I'm thinking of taking the 556 barrel off of another ar-15 and putting on a 224 valkyrie for a bit more performance. Kinda like wanting to put a bigger engine in my truck.:)

Last edited:
I already have a Grendel with a 20 in barrel but I'm thinking of taking the 556 barrel off of another ar-15 and putting on a 224 valkyrie for a bit more performance. Kinda like wanting to put a bigger engine in my truck.:)
I've been thinking about doing this as well. Or just building a whole new upper in .224V just for tinkering around to see what it's all about. The added performance would be nice over the .223/5.56. But ammo prices, like the Grendel and .300 BLK are a bit hindering or a semi-auto rifle, and I hate to reload on my single-stage for anything I plan to shoot in large quantities. Which is why I buy my subsonic .300 BLK from work for really cheap, and I'm trying to get my boss to start loading for 6.5 Grendel and .357 Sig, too. Doubt he'll go for the Grendel, but I have mentioned the .357 Sig several times, and he seems slightly intrigued.

Check what reamer they used, there was a large batch of bad reamers from ptg in the 224v --- iirc, the throat was the wrong length

Do a Google search to find out more details , as I'm not up to speed on it anymore

I don't reload yet... The 223 is nice and cheap to shoot but by the time I build another upper or buy one it's gonna take a little while until I'm actually saving money.

From what I'm seeing of the .224 Valkrie, I would hold off on that until it the twists get sorted out?! It was rushed to market without the research.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts