Thinking of a 6.5 CM 85 Sako Finnlight W/ Vortex AMG scope

Litehiker

This 6.5 CM 85 Sako Finnlight rifle /Vortex AMG scope seems to me to be an excellent combination.
Yeah, I know, the Finnlight is not yet offered in 6.5 Creedmoor but it is coming soon.

I just can't see spending another $1,000.+ for the Carbonlight stock for a pound less.

The scope base would be a Nightforce one piece unit B/C they are very high quality so I know the rings would be machined very precisely in line which eliminates the need to lap the rings.

Anybody have a model 85 Sako Finnlight or Carbonlight?

Eric B.

BTW, I'd be selling my .300 Win mag Browning Stainless Stalker (W/ black Teflon coating and a "spare" Browning laminate thumbhole stock). Burris Black Diamond 6 - 12 x 50 (30 mm tube) is on the Browning.

Last edited:
I have an 85 finnlight in a McMillan stock in .270 WSM. Little heavier than the factory stock, but I prefer it. Very accurate and well built rifle.

Thanks for the endorsements of the model 85. It checks all my hunting rifle boxes like a 3 lug bolt, detachable magazine (W/ flush fit), available in stainless, bolt lock when loaded, and of course excellent accuracy. God to see you guys are happy with it. it's endorsements here on LRH that matter because I know I'm getting info from people who really use the gear.

BTW, Am I correct in thinking Sako makes only hammer forged barrels?

stx, thanks for the reference to the Razor HD LH. That 3 - 15 x 42 is just what I want in a hunting scope. Enough magnification and not a big objective bell and very light at only 16.5 oz. I'll check it out at my local Sportsman's Warehouse or Bass Pro Shop here in 'Vegas. Nothing like seeing the real thing. Sportsman's warehouse is where I do a lot of shopping so they will let me take the scope outside to check the glass in daylight.

Eric B.

stx,
I looked at the Razor HD LH and it isn't my scope. I want mil/mil turrets and reticle and FFP not SFP. The AMG gives me all of that, admittedly at much more money and twice the weight.

Eric B.

stx,
I looked at the Razor HD LH and it isn't my scope. I want mil/mil turrets and reticle and FFP not SFP. The AMG gives me all of that, admittedly at much more money and twice the weight.

Eric B.

The Leupold Mk5HD in 3-18x44 does that, for only 20oz... Twice as much as the Razor LH but 10oz less than the AMG and $800 cheaper. For your purposes?

Hmmmm... now that's a new Leupold scope I have not seen. Read a good article on them in G&A. I wonder what the glass is like. I'm calling some big sporting goods stores to see if they have some in stock. Great guarantee on them.

Eric B.

UPDATE: Looked online at the Mark 5 HD and don't like the reticle. I'm very used to my competition Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50's H59 "Christmas tree" reticle and the AMG MRAD reticle is very similar. I hate turning turrets for elevation and windage. Xmas tree reticles mean no turret turning once zeroed.

For another $200. MSRP I'll take the heavier Vortex AMG and lose 8 oz. off my butt.
However I gotta say Leupold has very nice scopes in that Mark 5 lineup. Now for more reticle options.

Last edited:
You better look again. I've looked through mark 5 with h59 reticle and leupold cch reticle. Both which offer you your Xmas tree

Hmmmm... now that's a new Leupold scope I have not seen. Read a good article on them in G&A. I wonder what the glass is like. I'm calling some big sporting goods stores to see if they have some in stock. Great guarantee on them.

Eric B.

UPDATE: Looked online at the Mark 5 HD and don't like the reticle. I'm very used to my competition Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50's H59 "Christmas tree" reticle and the AMG MRAD reticle is very similar. I hate turning turrets for elevation and windage. Xmas tree reticles mean no turret turning once zeroed.

For another $200. MSRP I'll take the heavier Vortex AMG and lose 8 oz. off my butt.
However I gotta say Leupold has very nice scopes in that Mark 5 lineup. Now for more reticle options.
They also offer the mark 5 with the tremor 3 reticle.
Btw I was super impressed with the glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts