Thinking about the big 50, can I get some advice?

Troutslayer

So I am going to an auction this week, there are a couple of things there that I am thinking about bidding on, one of them is this:
50caljpg.jpg

They're calling it a McMillan .50. It's got a NF NSX 5.5-22X56 on it. I don't know if McMillan made it, or it's just sitting in a McMillan stock. It will probably creep out of my price range, but for starters- what do ya'll think it's worth? I don't have a round count, I haven't even seen it yet.

What should I look for when I inspect it?

I mostly want the scope, if I were to take the scope off of it, what would I expect to get for the gun here in the classifieds?

Can I reload .50 with a Rockchucker Supreme? Other than dies, and a whole lot of powder, will I need anything special to reload?
Do they let you shoot one of these at a regular rifle range?

I have been to a lot of auctions and this one draws a crowd. Hard to say if that crowd will know what something like this is worth or if anyone will want it. Most likely there will be some pawn shop/gun trader types there, so chances are good that I won't be the only one with my eye on it. Would like to hear any thoughts on the matter. I will post up how much it sells for later in the week. Thanks.

11 years ago I was dealing with McBros (McMillian Brothers) on a Tac 50 (yes they built them) then to the tune of $5800.00, I decided against it due to 35 rounds to the pound and the cost of primers and bullets.
Yes you can load them on a Rockchucker, the big insert in the top of the press screws out and the dies screw in.
The rest, I couldn't tell ya
RR

Well, it sold for $4600 + 10% buyers fee, so 5K. I dropped out when I realized that I wasn't going to steal it. It was a shooters dream auction, thousands of bullets, huge boxes of primers, dies, tons of reloading stuff. There were some awesome deals and I wish I had looked over some of the stuff better because when that auctioneer is like "10 boxes of 30 caliber bullets" and you can only see the brand from a distance it's kind of tough, but you could get 10 boxes for about $80. 7 boxes of loaded big rifle ammo for about $50. 50 BMG reloading press with dies for $90- dude beat me out on that one. They probably auctioned off 200lbs of various powder.

you could build a nicer looking 50 for 5k action 2300$ barrel 1000$ odds and in $$$ .so what did you buy?

so what did you buy?

Nothing. All the guns sold for more than I thought they were worth, except maybe a .22 Colt Woodsman that went for $400, I wasn't sure if it was a collector gun or not. A S&W mod. 29-2 Nickel went for $600, I would have paid $550 for it because it had cylinder marks on it and a 6" barrel. I was surprised how many people were bidding on opened jars of powder, hand loaded home made ammunition and other things that were obvious liability concerns. There were a bunch of other reloading things still to go when I left after not getting the big prize. Oh well.

if you pass on a semi-good deal then a real good deal is around the corner .It probably be another year before i buy anything in the gun category.I love atv's and looking at getting one to ride around and the price of it want leave room for any gun buying

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.