Thinking about going Irons on an elk hunt

backyardsniper

Looking for some advice from any avid Iron sight guys out there. I'm considering going on an elk hunt next year and doing something a little different. If you were going to pick a rifle to use strictly Irons on what would you recommend? Here is what I am looking at so far. The CZ550 medium Battue in 7mm, the CZ550 FS carbine in 30/06, I already have a ruger m77 in 338 win mag with irons, or possibly a old school rem 700. What do you guys shoot and what do you recommend. I am really leaning towards the CZ rifles. I also have a TRG42 which they make a set of back up Iron sights for which might make for a pretty good hunting rifle. What are you're opinions?

I never thought about the old school military rifle direction, but I have been really looking for an excuse to buy an M1A ha ha. I've really all ways had an attraction to old style safari type rifles. That cz550 medium lux battie and the FS carbine in the mannlicher really catch my eye. I like the 45-70 buffalo rifles.too though. You know, long range is relative to the equipment, I think something like this would give me a good challenge to work on. I have access to a nice 400yd range about 10min from my house so being able to put in the extra time between now and oct 2016 to really refine my iron shooting skills would be a really fun undertaking. Thanks guys and keep the Ideas coming.

My father made a 400 yard shot with the .348 on an elk. It would be great for me to someday harvest one with the same rifle.

Other than a 50cal smoke pole I think it woud be fun to harvest some big game w/ a ruger No.1. I love the look and feel of those rifles, I'll own one one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.