Thinking about ballistic Turret

Maina

I just got the Leica 1600B I'm shooting a 300 ultra mag 230 grain burger tactical and Sytron scope 6x24 MOA . I will be hunting deer on power lines and pipe lines in Maine . My elevation will not change. Temps 10-30 deg . It will be all about speed the deer do not stick around too long on the powerline. That's why I was thinking of a ballistic turret ,hit them with the rangefinder know the yardage dial-in shoot. . Shots I will keep a max of 800 yards . Is this one of the situations with the ballistic turret is a good idea?

That's were they shine the best, and the Leica will make some of the corrections very well to your 800yds if you use the ballistic mode.

Now the ballistic program only has 20 choices that's kind a rough isn't it, I was thinking of building my round to match one of the choices ?

You could just learn your drops and have a backup list taped to your scope/stock. Until you verify drops at the exact conditions you will be hunting, you won't know if you are at 20 MOA or 21 MOA at 800 yards. And 1 MOA at 800 yards is 8", a miss or bad hit on a deer.

Conditions do change, even at the same location, due to weather systems. Not that @ 800 yards it will make too much of a difference.

I shoot a .300RUM with the 215 Hybrids @ 3100fps, and just changing pressure 2" (from 27.92" to 25.92") and 20° (from 10° to 30°) makes a difference between 117.5" drop and 112.0" drop at 800 yards. 5.5" difference. But if a weather system rolled through, or temps change even more, that could easily become a miss on game.

Get the "Shooter" app on your phone and start load development and verification now. True your ballistics and practice. I he fund Shooter is very accurate for all of my rifles. You can input the environmental conditions, and it will give you a true reading of drop. Just keep it up on your phone while sitting your stand.

You could just learn your drops and have a backup list taped to your scope/stock. Until you verify drops at the exact conditions you will be hunting, you won't know if you are at 20 MOA or 21 MOA at 800 yards. And 1 MOA at 800 yards is 8", a miss or bad hit on a deer.

Conditions do change, even at the same location, due to weather systems. Not that @ 800 yards it will make too much of a difference.

I shoot a .300RUM with the 215 Hybrids @ 3100fps, and just changing pressure 2" (from 27.92" to 25.92") and 20° (from 10° to 30°) makes a difference between 117.5" drop and 112.0" drop at 800 yards. 5.5" difference. But if a weather system rolled through, or temps change even more, that could easily become a miss on game.

Get the "Shooter" app on your phone and start load development and verification now. True your ballistics and practice. I he fund Shooter is very accurate for all of my rifles. You can input the environmental conditions, and it will give you a true reading of drop. Just keep it up on your phone while sitting your stand.

His Leica in ballistic mode will make the temp, angle and pressure corrections. You will need a shooter app or at least run some computer simulations to check how close the Leica program will match your load to 800yds. But almost any load can be matched to where at 800yds you would only be off 2" or less. Mine at 800yds is only off 1.25" from the Leica program. The hunting you have described is perfect for your Leica RF and a ballistic turret. The Leica at 875yds is reaching its limits for this purpose. When you have your turret made use the base conditions your RF says it is using then as it makes corrections your GTG. The beauty of Ballistic turrets is they take all the thinking out of the process as long as you are using a RF with Ballistic/angle and temp/press compensation. Match your load, turret and RF to same base conditions and point, read, dial, aim and shoot.

Last edited:
Yea there is 15 curves . And your thinking I will find one that will work with the 230 grain berger highbred. . I would drop the size to less say 210 or 215 if it matched a preprogram curve better

For your application , same spot, 20F temperature variation, a ballistic turret works exceptionally well. Even if the temperature does vary more thsn that it's easy to make the one or two click adjustment to correct. The key is that you have set up your turret with confirmed drops. I have used a turret in the same kind of location for several years. The whitetails cross a cut and don't give you much time. A quick range, dial, and shoot. I have taken several deer using this system. I have my turrets/tapes made with yardage for the general area with an MOA scale at the bottom should the need arise dor a more technical shot or changecin location.

His Leica in ballistic mode will make the temp, angle and pressure corrections. You will need a shooter app or at least run some computer simulations to check how close the Leica program will match your load to 800yds. But almost any load can be matched to where at 800yds you would only be off 2" or less. Mine at 800yds is only off 1.25" from the Leica program. The hunting you have described is perfect for your Leica RF and a ballistic turret. The Leica at 875yds is reaching its limits for this purpose. When you have your turret made use the base conditions your RF says it is using then as it makes corrections your GTG. The beauty of Ballistic turrets is they take all the thinking out of the process as long as you are using a RF with Ballistic/angle and temp/press compensation. Match your load, turret and RF to same base conditions and point, read, dial, aim and shoot.

I could not agree more with your statement of the Leica 1600B and the ballistic program built into it.

If my take on what the OP was stating was incorrect, I apologize.

But to me, when someone says "buy a ballistic turret", that means they send in their data and confirmed drops at a single given set of environmental inputs, and a turret is etched with 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, etc. yardages instead of actual MOA or MIL readings. So you could be 0=100, 2.25MOA=200, 3.75=300 and so on. Where just knowing your drops in MOA is 9.25MOA (9 hatch+1) at 500 yards is just as fast as dialing to "500". That way, a turret works in every condition imaginable, as it stays in MOA or MIL. A cold desert hunt at low elevation in AZ in January is going to have a lot of error compared to a high elevation warm early season rifle hunt out past 600 yards.

What if you have temp sensitive powder? Or you change your load? Or bullet?

If the OP is just talking removing a cap and installing a MOA or MIL etched screw on turret so he doesn't have to use a coin, then I am all for that.

I'm in Maine , will not leave Maine and load will not change and temps will stay in a 20 deg. . Swing . And the range finder will do it all out to 800 . When you have a monster Maine deer at 600 yards and 3 seconds to shot , becouse that's Maine this has to be a fast set up . Very fast ! And it's a early morning hunts . And are deer don't move well in the wind

Sounds like you have it down to a science. Good luck on your hunt. I look forward to photos of your deer this fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.