Thinking about another build...

Tikkamike

After a weekend of packing my 11.5 lb 338 around the mountain I have decided that maybe I should build a 338 Ultrawhich would be a little better suited for carrying several miles in.
I have an LSS 300 Ultra that I am not particularly in love with which would make a fantastic donor. So I am thinking the lightest barrel I can get in 26" with a brake on it. and a light weight stock like a B&C Medalist or something. should be a fairly inexpensive build. any input from the guys who have built an ultra light ultra mag before?

Last edited:
What are you hunting and at what range which would make you want a lightweight 300 Rem Ultra?
What is your desired total weight (rifle plus scope) ?

As a baseline a standard 26" Rem 700 BDL in 300 RUM weighs 7.5 lbs. without scope and mounts.. I own one but rarely shoot it. It's got a decent recoil pad but no brake. I just don't need that much muzzle energy in a carry gun. With effort I'd expect you could trim a pound or possibly two in stock and barrel without reducing muzzle energy.
Find a scope with mounts under 1 pound or use metallic sights.

I considered doing what you're suggesting but found a used 6.5 Lb 300 WSM Rem Model 7 instead for what i'd have paid for a custom barrel.

Once I burn out my 7 SAUM Barrel, should be next year, I'll rebarrel it to .284/.338 Norma Improved. Looking at a 26"-28" barrel with a break and maybe a suppressor. This will be for my wife, I'll build a .300/.338 Lapua Improved for me :D

I want a light weight 338 Ultra, i didnt mention that so I edited the post. I hunt alot of deer and elk in the mountains and would like it to be 800-1000+ capable. so I am thinking a 6.5-20x40mm LR leupold or a rapid Z 800 possibly.

Just curious, what about your 300Ultra don't you love?

I'm a big fan of the big .30cals shooting 200-230gr pills so I'm kinda curious why you wouldn't hang a quality #3ish barrel and chamber it right back to 300RUM. Especially if you already have everything for it.

Just asking is all...

just not a 300 ultra fan. its kind of a waste of powder in my opinion. i think a 300 win is more than capable of anything im gonna do with a 30 cal. anything serious ill be grabbing the lapua

I have been thinking about doing something similar but just for a deer rifle as our seasons don't usually allow hunting both at the same time anymore. I was thinking about a 26" #5 fluted in either 7mm-.300 Win. Mag or .30-8mm Mag. I'm with you and think the .300 RUM is too much extra powder for the small gain over a .30-8mm as is the 7 STW over the 7mm-.300 Win. 3100fps with 180 VLD's or 3050 with 210gr VLD's.

Mike,similar build plans here too. i have a 338 edge but its not friendly to carry aswell. i do it but don't like it cause i go deep in the canyons. I was hoping for a lighter weight 338 ultra 24" bbl but similar specs and a break to tame the recoil.

I too like the 800-1200 range and option of 300gr pills. the barrel weight kills!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.