Thinking about a spring over the counter bear hunt, suggestions?

sambo3006

I'd love to take a black bear and a spring hunt would work out better due to a baby on the way this summer. I've hunted Colorado and Utah about a dozen times all together for deer and elk but not bear. I've seen quite a few black bears, some fairly close so I know what they look like.
I think Idaho, Montana and Wyoming offer over the counter nonresident spring bear tags, correct me if I am wrong. Any suggestions on good areas for a DIY rifle bear hunt such as spot and stalk or still hunting logging roads?
I don't want to pack way back in but not opposed to hiking a little bit. I'm a decent shot and a nonsmoker. Thanks!

Montana is OTC for bears. Our spring season runs 4-15 to 6-15 dependent on the area. Any tags purchased after 4-14 have a 5 day waiting period before it is valid but the good thing is that you can buy them online before you leave on your trip. Montana is a spot and stalk state. No bait or dogs but you can use mouth blown predator calls.

Jay

I decided not to do it this year, too many irons in the fire. Looks like it is a good thing because I would have scheduled vacation time in advance for May 1. Sounds like I wouldn't have been able to get around in the snow and the bears are probably still napping. Maybe next year.

Not unless your like me with a built hunting buggy, I have to order a spare front axle, because my U joint is on its second temporary weld job. Snow is record deep here in MT. Im heading out this week for a lookseegun)

Attachments

• JEEP 006.jpg
    JEEP 006.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 158
If you are wanting to hunt over bait from those areas you mentioned I think Wyoming is your option. However, maybe a Wyo res can answer this but I am pretty sure you have to register your bait site with the DOW. I know guides do I am not sure if individuals have the same regulations on that or not.

Not really interested in hunting over bait as I don't want to go with an outfitter and wouldn't have the time to set it up.
I'm considering a fall hunt at this point. Would consider Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, possibly eastern Washington. I would hate to drive 1400-1500 miles and not even see a bear, so I'd like to have a decent game plan before I commit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.