thinking about a 338 edge

Ridge Runner

I'm thinking about a 34" barrel' about the weight of a #7 or 8 lilja contour, I have 2 lilja's a kreiger, a hart, and a couple lothar walthers and looking to expand my variety, so who offers such a barrel?
Thanks for looking
RR

I'm thinking about a 34" barrel' about the weight of a #7 or 8 lilja contour, I have 2 lilja's a kreiger, a hart, and a couple lothar walthers and looking to expand my variety, so who offers such a barrel?
Thanks for looking
RR

Bartlien will make one as well as a few others. I think the velocity gain over 30" is almost nothing... there might be more of a downside than gain???

If I was doing one that long I would do a straight cylinder with no taper. You would get better accuracy out of it. At 34" it is not a rifle you could carry anyway so why put a taper on it. Also if I was doing a barrel that long I would do it in a cartridge that would get the benefit out of that long a barrel. The 338 Excalibur would be a better choice. You could get near or exceed 3200 fps out of it.

+1 regarding Long Time Long Ranger's comment.............I have an unusually fast 24" savage barrel in 338 edge that throws 300gr smk at 2810fps and 300gr berger at 2850 with 92gr standard no pressure loads (drops have confirmed) . While I understand this is unusual it suggests to me at least that excess barrel length in this cartridge may be a waist and the larger round probably makes more sense.

Last edited:
I have know idea what you're hanging this 34in tube on but that sounds like alot of pipe hanging on a stock receiver if that's what you intend to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.