Thinking about a 204 Ruger

gvjm

I just got back from my semi annual prairie dog hunt and once again the gears are turning. I use a heavy barreled AR in 223. I have no complaints but I may be getting to the point where I might be thinking about a new barrel. I really don't take shots past 350 yards and with the scarcity of 223 right now I'm thinking about the 204. I can remember back when Newtown occurred you could still find 204. While you can't find almost anything right now but 204 just has never been in demand the way 223 is. Is it worth the consideration? This is for a dedicated prairie dog gun.

My PD guns are 223 and 20 Vartarg. I thought about the 204 before making the 223 but it was not worth it for me. Like you, distances I shoot both of these will easily cover it. If your not setup for the 204, of course you'll need dies, powder, bullets, etc... The 204 barrel will probably heat up and burn out faster as well. You'll find 204 brass more expensive than 223 brass as well.

Just my thoughts on it.

If you are loading and seating off the lands is a concern, look for a reamer with less free bore than standard, I believe and correct me if im wrong, the free bore with a standard reamer will not allow you to seat your bullets close to the lands and still fit in the magazine

I thought the 20's just a fad for a number of years. I was offered to use one a few years ago. Much as you I started looking when I got home.

I won't point you towards any particular 20. I studied a fair bit, decided what I expected. I was going to go 20 Practical, while looking for a donor rifle for an action, ran across a deal on a 204 with dies, brass, bullets, ammo and other accessories for a killer deal on a turn key rig. So that is how I ended up with a 204 Ruger.
I have gathered plenty of 204 and 20 caliber stuff since.

At this point if I did any other 20 than a 204 Ruger, it would be a 20BR or a 20-250 to shoot heavies.

I have a DPMS 204 upper 24" fluted bull barrel, I don't shoot factory ammo, load Winchester 748 Ball and 39 Gr Sierras at just under 4K FPS. It is a Sod Poodles nightmare, I have well over 2K rounds down the tube and still shoots lights out .5 groups at 100 with an occasional flyer, I don't think there is a better Sod Poodle exterminator cartridge. My last trip to Dalhart, TX according to the clicker was 320 dogs down in about 4 hours. 100 Yds out to 300+. I just found another DPMS upper for sale on here and bought it, DPMS does not make them anymore.
I have a 225 Winchester and 220 Swift that I take when I go and they are bad to the bone, but the 204 is just a killing machine. My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
A 20BR variant with 55 bergers is one bad$$$ 20 cal at long range.
In a bolt rifle that is.

:oops: 240 minutes, 320 shots, that comes to 1.33 dogs a minute for 4 hours.Benefit of the doubt, call it 5 hours, that is still over one per minute.

I have shot in numerous timed shooting competitions, you will easily win the iron man award.

Me thinks this more a fish story than a hunting story.

:oops: 240 minutes, 320 shots, that comes to 1.33 dogs a minute for 4 hours.Benefit of the doubt, call it 5 hours, that is still over one per minute.

I have shot in numerous timed shooting competitions, you will easily win the iron man award.

Me thinks this more a fish story than a hunting story.
North of Dalhart Texas there is a Sod Poodle town the encompasses 7 sections, you shoot until they stop sticking their little heads up and drive 150 yards and start all over again. I was born and raised in West Texas and have been shooting them since I was a boy, you have never seen this many Sod Poodles anywhere. I have hunted in New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming and nothing compares to this place, nothing. In the spring when the pups are just hatched it is overwhelming. We are not shooting off of a table or a bench, but off a high platform in the back of a pick up.

North of Dalhart Texas there is a Sod Poodle town the encompasses 7 sections, you shoot until they stop sticking their little heads up and drive 150 yards and start all over again. I was born and raised in West Texas and have been shooting them since I was a boy, you have never seen this many Sod Poodles anywhere. I have hunted in New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming and nothing compares to this place, nothing. In the spring when the pups are just hatched it is overwhelming. We are not shooting off of a table or a bench, but off a high platform in the back of a pick up.
Are you the Rita Blanca?

I just got back from my semi annual prairie dog hunt and once again the gears are turning. I use a heavy barreled AR in 223. I have no complaints but I may be getting to the point where I might be thinking about a new barrel. I really don't take shots past 350 yards and with the scarcity of 223 right now I'm thinking about the 204. I can remember back when Newtown occurred you could still find 204. While you can't find almost anything right now but 204 just has never been in demand the way 223 is. Is it worth the consideration? This is for a dedicated prairie dog gun.
Do It!!!