Thinkin'

Re: Thinkin\'

Hi Ian,

If I never missed, it would probably get boring pretty fast.
grin.gif
I can't think too many things more fun to me than long distance plinking. I grew up in Montana. Went to school in Harlowton, and Sidney, but lived out of town, in both areas. I used to get a kick out of plinking with a .44Mag revolver out to 300-400 yards. Basically, as far as I could spot my dust with a naked eye.

A couple more years and I'm going to drop my pack, and retire back there. Love those wide open spaces. True rifle country, in my mind.

MM

This thread is another classic example of why I am here, the commonality of ideals. As a youngster on the farm we "harvested" deer, we really didn't hunt although thats what it was called. I called it harvesting because it was similar to combining wheat, wind'er up, lower the header and go. Thats how we hunted, we did deer drives.... I grew tired of family members coming up north from the city for 2 days a year to kill things and gravitated to bow hunting by myself or 1 or 2 close friends or going to other states.

Times changed as I got married, kids and career took over, soon I found myself "one of the family members who came back to the farm to kill things". I first went back for the family harvest back in about 92, things were the same. Except the younger city cousins of mine were dangerous and after I took one's gun away and threatned to beat em with it my dad stepped in and took me aside... I was livid and swore I was never coming back to this BS. I took off and went to Gramma's for lunch and cooled down. After talking with my Dad, Gramma and a few other family elders it dawned on that this was not about city cousins just wanting to kill deer (as how I veiwed it) but it was an important family gathering. It was a social time for the family to take part in just being together as my grandparents before me had done, this so-called deer hunt was about a family being together and if I didn't get with it, it could easily end. I am the eldest grandson and next in line to head up the herd.

Over the next couple of years, I just concentrated on enjoying time with the family, ensureing the ones who just had to kill something, got there fair chance. There has been great rewards in that as I have seen several cousins and 1 brother take there 1st, showed them how to dress a deer, taught them the importance of wind direction, food sources, natural funnels, but more importantly to show them that you don't have to kill something to have a great hunt and that there was far more to hunting than just shooting...

Two years ago I had one of the best times yet as I witnessed my Dad take a very nice 8pt buck, he was so **** happy as it had been quite a few years since he had a buck like this, he was like a kid. I dressed it out for him as he relayed the shot to others who came to see his deer. I finished up, my brother and I were dragging it to the truck when it dawned on me. The roles were reversed, I was now the elder hunter helping out. I did not take a deer that year, but it was the best year I had at the family harvest yet...

I realized years back that it wasn't about just killing, but it was just two years ago, I finally figured out what really matters..
smile.gif

Nodak

[ 11-19-2002: Message edited by: Nodak7mm ]

After not posting here for some time, I will chime in on this topic.

We instituted a QDM program on my family farm with 10 of my hunting buddies. So far we have been very succesful. I wont't even go into the fellowship we experince at the cabin every weekend. Either you understand why we love the experience so much or you don't. It cannot be explained to the unlearned.

Anyway, on opening day, a nice 8 point came in on me and bedded down within 20 yards of my stand. With no shot and at a "prepared to draw" position with my bow, I sat and watched this specimen for almost an hour breathing the same air as I was. It was one of the most amazing hours I ever spent in my life. He eventually stood up and cautiously walked directly into my shooting lane. At 25 yards, I placed the arrow perfectly. The animal jumped, and walked about 10 yards before stopping to try and figure out what just happened. I witnessed this deer begin to wobble and then fall to the ground after about 5 mintues. He thrashed until he slid to within 10 yards of the base of my tree before he died. I thanked God for the whole experience and realized that instead of feeling pumped up about the whole thing, I actually felt remorse. Guilty even.

I have often heard people tell stories of getting off on watching a deer die after shooting it. For me, it is the worst part.

Don't get me wrong, I am out there to kill deer, but anyone that can watch the life leave such a majestic animal as a mature buck deer without feeling some remorse for the action isn't hunting for the right reasons. I have killed almost 30 deer in my life before this year, but none of them made me respect the act as much as I do now as a result of the last one I killed.

Winning 1st place in a bass tournament doesn't do it for me anymore. Golf doesn't do it for me anymore. A long day hanging in a tree watching deer walk underneath me and letting them walk.......that is the most powerful feeling in the world to me, next to being a father.

Jim R

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.