Think I goofed up with new Leupold

Fotis

After all the posts I saw here I just bought (via Mail) a VX-III 4.5-14x40mm 30mm Long range scope. model # 57840. Anyway it has the side focus which I wanted but when I removed the turret caps--surprise! I guess on this model you can not zero turn the cap to "0" (facing you as you shoot) and lock them down so all you gotta worry about is the up so when you come down you can not go down from your locked zero point. Did I shaft myself or am I missing something??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Did I order the wrong model?

[ QUOTE ]
I guess on this model you can not zero turn the cap to "0" (facing you as you shoot) and lock them down so all you gotta worry about is the up so when you come down you can not go down from your locked zero point.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this posting your topic has 36 views and no answers. Maybe others are as confused as I am. I would love to help you if I can but I don't understand quite what you mean. Did you think this scope came with a zero-stop for cranking back down to your home zero point without having to look at it? Or are you saying that the turrets are not adjustable so you can't even loosen it, set a zero, then tighten it again?

Yes that is what I mean...Bad communication I guess.

I am used to the following. Once you zero you can unscrew the turret lift it and lock it down with the # "0" facing you as you shoot. At this point you can not make adj down. Only up. To re-zero you turn it "down" and it returns to Zero (will not go down past zero point)
So now if you zero this scope (looking at elevation turret from the top view--you being at the 6 o'clock position) when zero-ed the "0" might be at the 2 o'clock position.....see? Clear as mud huh?

Hi Pop,

Yep, you see it the same way as me!

The scope is still usable, it is just a pain in the arse (you have to pay CLOSE attention to what you are doing...it is not intuitive).

Please call the custom shop and tell them your concern. I am going to live with mine (for a while), and keep pressing them for a fix. If they can't, then I will have to spend $150 to turn it into the "older" model (that kills me).

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Pop,

Yep, you see it the same way as me!

The scope is still usable, it is just a pain in the arse (you have to pay CLOSE attention to what you are doing...it is not intuitive).

Please call the custom shop and tell them your concern. I am going to live with mine (for a while), and keep pressing them for a fix. If they can't, then I will have to spend $150 to turn it into the "older" model (that kills me).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! The one in the picture is zeroed and the "0" is in the 8 oclock position instaead locked in the 6 o'clock facing the shooter.

28_1.JPG

I am not familiar with most of the Leupolds and am probably wrong about this. I thought I read the Leupies use set screws (1 or 3) to hold the knob on the turret. Set your zero, loosten the set screws and turn your "knob" so the zero faces you, and lock the set screws down. This doesn't provide a "stop", you have to know how many revolutions you are off bottom, but at least you have a 0 to adjust from.

I'm probably wrong about this, but it might be something to look for.

Bri

Brian,

You are correct in referance to the TARGET scopes; the HUNTING line is now totally different.

Wow. That is crap. My VXIII tactical has 3 set screws on each turret so you can loosen the screws, adjust so 0 faces the shooter and re tighten. I can still adjust down from my zero but the drops for my loads are all based from 0 and not from some other random number.

I would not be happy about that POP. Maybe you can set it to zero and send it to Leupold for adjusting the 0 to be at 6 o'clock. How can they charge more for that scope than my VX but give you less flexibility?

Thats suprising and not real impressive, given the price of a VX-III. My little $250 Buckmaster allows the knobs to be indexed, on a splined shaft.

Bri

Could have the turret or turrets changed.
Premier Ret used to do them, suppose its now Leup themselves.
Alternative is to have a turret cap made up.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts