Things you wished you knew when you started?

6BR, 223 rem, 223 AI, 260 rem, 260 AI, 6.5 CM, 6.5x47L, 6CM, 308, 7-08, 7 RM, 338 LM, 338 AM, 338 edge, 375 CT, 408 CT, and 50 BMG.

We have shot all these out to a mile and most of them out to 2K. Prone and positional. Prone and modified prone being off a bipod and several different rear bags. Positional (barricade, tank trap, etc) using a reg game changer and pint size. The 50 is the only one we haven't really messed with a whole lot positional. If you missed with any of these rifles, it was because you weren't on target or struggled with recoil management. POI shouldn't change.
Didn't know half those cartridges could make it to a mile. To avoid gumming up the thread anymore, we will have to agree to disagree.

I have learned a lot on forums, from mentors and at the range and learn more every day. A couple things I wish I knew more about in the beginning were:
1. Holding down the press handle when resizing for a few seconds to let the brass resize with less springback
2. understood the difference between focus and parallax
3. used annealing (correctly) with comparators to see what the resizing was actually doing to my brass
4. Understood the poi difference between shooting with different rear supports (bag v rock v fist)

There are many more, but Id love to hear what key points you missed for years that you wish you knew in the beginning. I know I'll learn some new stuff :)

Regarding # 3, I wish I would have asked this forum about resizing as opposed to following the RCBS instructions on the use of their sizing dies, would have saved about 200$ on 338-378 brass.

Thanks for the pointer on #1, after I anneal the 6.5 Creedmoor cases I have I am going to give that a go, and maybe, just maybe, I can get a load for my 6.5 AR10 that has an ES of less than 20 FPS.

Just to be clear, I was responding to the idiot on YouTube, who is fair game.
He must be to shoot for Lapua in National and International F Class. Every shooter he spoke to in his video is either a current or former National or International champion. There are also some of the best and most consistent benchrest shooters worldwide with the records and wins to back up what they say. They have the equipment and time involved to make the statements with the results.
Your correct in the fact that Lee collet dies produce some of the straightest ammo you can load. The pressure issues will show up after consecutive loadings as the loses it's spring back. Load a case with your neck sizer 4 times and run it over a magneto speed or lab radar in the same atmospherics and get back to us. Bring a press to your shooting area and do it then. Either way you are going to see velocity change due to pressure increases

Do you buy three barrels at a time, all chambered at the same time, and have your dies cut with the same reamer? If so of course you full length size, because that custom die will only bump the case back to your chamber size.
P.S. If you are in Australia, I dare you to come and prove me wrong. I have a place to shoot all hours any day and a place for you to stay free of charge. If you're not game to try, just shut your ignorant mouth.
Please explain how dies cut with the same reamer that did the chambers work.

He must be to shoot for Lapua in National and International F Class. Every shooter he spoke to in his video is either a current or former National or International champion. There are also some of the best and most consistent benchrest shooters worldwide with the records and wins to back up what they say. They have the equipment and time involved to make the statements with the results.
Your correct in the fact that Lee collet dies produce some of the straightest ammo you can load. The pressure issues will show up after consecutive loadings as the loses it's spring back. Load a case with your neck sizer 4 times and run it over a magneto speed or lab radar in the same atmospherics and get back to us. Bring a press to your shooting area and do it then. Either way you are going to see velocity change due to pressure increases
I thought this was longrangehunting.com, not a forum for "National and International F Class" or
"Bench rest shooters" or shooters who have polished their barrels till the skin came off [in the privacy of their own homes].. there are plenty of sites dedicated to those disciplines. My reload record with a collet die is 18 reloads in my 308 @ around 59k pressure. The case died with a tiny split on the body. Never seen a "spring back" issue. That brass shot to the same POI from fire form to no. 18. My gunsmith taught me how to use a collet die and proper annealing, pointing out that most people don't know how to use a collet die because the instructions are wrong. Once again I thought we are talking about hunting rifles on this site.

I'm sure you meant to say "slightly different from you", but, like everyone else in the world I've learnt to forgive America for many things. Just to help you out, I apologise for not being as succinct as I should. When you order reamers for a particular cartridge, can get them in a set. This includes a roughing reamer, a finishing reamer and a die reamer. Some don't buy the latter. If you could not find any information on it I don't think I can help you any further. Its even the subject of an article on this very site. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/reaming-dies-with-chamber-reamer.234141/

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts