Things you wished you knew when you started?

I've been handloading nearly 50 years now. Bullets and powders have evolved almost beyond belief. Wish there had been a forum like this to learn from. You have to weed through the bs - it's certainly there/here. But there is also a WEALTH of knowledge here. I look forward every day to seeing what's posted
Thanks one and all for sharing your knowledge and opinions. Keep it coming!

(1) To save money by getting the good dies from the start. Lee collet dies, Redding body dies and Forster bullet seaters.
(2) To know how to properly size your brass, just bumping the shoulder a couple thousandths. As mentioned by OP, holding press down a second or two to get a good consistant sizing stroke.
(3) Start with good brass. It will save you a lot of heartache.
(4)Spend the money on a good scope to start, cheaper in the long run.
(5)You don't need the latest, biggest super ultra magnum cartridge of the month to shoot a deer at 5-700 yards. I am a much better shooter once I downsized my cartridge choice (that's just me). I thought a .260 Remington was a kids toy 20 years ago, I was wrong. Lol.
(6)Be careful with online forum load data, every gun likes what it likes. Listen to their advice, do a little research to make sure their data is supported by a qualified manufacturer (Nosler, Hornady, Hogdon etc.) Work up to the load in increments safely.
(7)I wish I had this forum 20 years ago! There is vast amount of knowledge and experience here on this forum. Great group of people always willing to give some great tips.

(1) That speed/velocity/fps isn't everything. Way too much emphasis (and seems like 85 out of 100 posts of forums) are related to getting that extra 5fps and an extra 3 BC. The extra velocity and BC will amount to squat if consistency isn't there
(2) That velocity variance (ES/SD) matters more for accuracy, get and use a chronograph early as opposed to later in lieu of other fancy "stuff"
(3) That #2 can help you identify problems or areas of improvement in the rest of the reloading process

Ditto on the learning part. I am actually OK with the slow learning process as I was able to synthesize the information being presented to me and better appreciate it ... and so far, no major problems that I wa not able to troubleshoot. I am a continuous and life-long learner that tries to absorb as much as I can. 😇
Feenix, I totally agree with you, for me, reloading as a hobby/passion is a journey with a constantly evolving destination! Something I might learn today can change the way I perceive & use knowledge I gained years ago. Today's revelation also spurs me into tomorrows research & experimentation! I am loving it!:cool:

I 've been reloading for 30 years and hunting longer than than that. A few of the things I learned along the way:
1. Start a load book and document everything. Saves a lot of time and frustration in the long run.
2. Make sure when your load a bunch of different loads that they are plainly marked and can't get mixed up.
3. Quality trumps quantity.--That applies to most things in life.
4. Big magnums don't make you a better shooter!
5. Lots of times less is more.

1) I wish I knew earlier in life that you get what you pay for. A $1000 rifle with a $50 scope is a $50 hunting rig.

2) I wish I never told my ex wife what loading gear that I really thought was awesome. She kept my loading gear after the divorce, her new husband doesn't hunt or shoot. Lol 😂 lesson learned.!

3) I wish I learned how to precision load earlier in life. It would have saved me hours of chasing bullet holes around on paper.

4) I wish I would have had a group of shooter friends to share hunting and shooting info with me before the Internet and forums.

I want to add, I wish we had the speed of innovation in the 70s and 80s we have today. Prs would have been great when I was 20 something. Lastly I hope it continues

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.