things to do with p-14's

photokid

New guy here so help me or shoot me down
i recently found a box of p14's, help me here, being as they were for rimmed cartridges
why couldn't the be chambered for the 375 H&H rimmed version??

Nothing new there, they were used for magnums when they were plentiful and cheap. The 1917/P-14 are some of the most difficult military actions to sporterize. They've got big, ugly ears that mount/protect the rear sight,,,,, those'll have to go. The bottom metal has a 'dog leg' that needs to go, too. Most are harder than the 'hubs' and can present a real challenge to drill and tap for scope mounts, you'll need $25 carbide drill. And, to top it off, they cock on closing. Those made at the Eddystone plant are said to have questionable heat treat. Those in good condition today are too valuable to cut up.

I'm aware of all this, those things have all ready been done, just wondering why no one ever mentioned using rimmed version of 375, would have to be easier than the non rimmed version to convert

You'd have to open the bolt face for a "rimmed version" of the .375 and modify the extractor. The rim diameter or the .303 British is .540",, the .375 H&H, .532". No bolt face modification required.

I'm aware of all this, those things have all ready been done, just wondering why no one ever mentioned using rimmed version of 375, would have to be easier than the non rimmed version to convert

Shortgrass is definitely the guy to listen to. He has forgotten more than most of us know

The only thing I can add is that rimed cases don't work very well in bolt actions.

Most rimed cases are used in tubular magazines.

J E CUSTOM

as to the how many are in a box question, the answer is six, I've had these things for i'd say 20 yrs any way.
i was thinking it wouldn't be such an big job with the rimmed 375, I'll have to check the diameter on the norma web site, then I'll gey back
Thank You

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.