Thermal scopes

I use a Trijicon MK III 35, and it's about the best I've found for the money. I started with the lower end stuff, kept buying and selling, until I decided to spend the money on a good thermal.
887A5089-2919-4501-858E-9205601D8E02.jpeg

I have hunted with thermal for 6 years now. There are a lot of good ones out there so you just have to do your research and figure out which one you can afford. My best advice is that you will get what you pay for.
I personally use the IR Hunter MK III. I started with the MK II and had it upgraded to MK III long before Trigicon bought out IR Defense. The HALO LR is also a good choice.

While thermal is nice,I swapped out a 4000$ thermal,for an 1800$ night vision digital,works better for my application.

im looking at getting into this and ive been looking at Thermal scopes between 4500 and 6000 dollars so im curious why you prefer the cheaper IR night vision How is that better? What is your application?

im looking at getting into this and ive been looking at Thermal scopes between 4500 and 6000 dollars so im curious why you prefer the cheaper IR night vision How is that better? What is your application?
I had the Pulsar Thermion about $4000,didn't care for the images, bought it from Sightmark in Texas, on LE discount, two week trial period. Returned it and got the Pulsar Digex about $1700 and change, clearer images, better animal Id,I shoot over bait, and call a fair amount, my kill on yotes averages 40 to 60 yearly, my pictures posted here will verify. My shots would be stretching it at 300 yards for sure especially at night when coyotes rarely get shot over 100 yards in my state. At 300 yards I can identify a rabbit, and my unit has the invisible IR,all in all it's a winner for me.Farthest coyote shot at night for me was about 115 yards, while thermal has some advantages, like detecting heat signature behind brush and trees I don't find it beneficial to my application. I scan with a coyote light, and take the shot with the NV, when eyes are detected, over bait it's point and shoot.Digital night vision is what I have all images black and white ,and can be used in daylight in a pinch.

Check out. Lone Star Boars. On YouTube he does everything thermal and knows his stuff. Hours of viewing pleasure and info. If NJ. Ever allowed thermal I would be on this too. Good luck

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.