Thermal scope used. What to look for?

Ugly Dog

I'm thinking I want a thermal scope or clip on and don't want to spend much starting out. (Low budget). I know that's probably not realistic but not in a hurry either. I was thinking agm rattler.
The question I have is when buying used a thermal what do I ask and what do I look for and or stay away from.

I'm thinking I want a thermal scope or clip on and don't want to spend much starting out. (Low budget). I know that's probably not realistic but not in a hurry either. I was thinking agm rattler.
The question I have is when buying used a thermal what do I ask and what do I look for and or stay away from.
Also wondering what the pros and cons are of a clip on/add on scope is vs a dedicated unit?

I got started cheap several years ago with a new ATN it worked OK, but I had nothing better to compare it too. It was obsolete within 6 mos as they dropped the model. The Good thing with buying new is the warranty which you won't get buying used. I hunted about a year and ran into other hunters with better optics. I was able to sell my entry level thermal for a small loss. I spent a lot more the 2nd and third units.

Clip-on's are cool and they allow you to move between guns Without affecting zero. Some can be unclipped and used as a thermal spotting monocular…which is a money saving feature. it could also be a hassle when trying to quietly clip it back on the rifle to take a shot in total darkness. You will need to practice this a lot with your eyes closed or you will fumble it and scare off the pigs. I have not looked recently, but I did look long and hard for one 3-yrs ago. I could not find an affordable one that would also record video and audio.
My new Pulsar Thermion is in an American Defense quick change piccatinny mount and the Pulsar stores zeros for several rifles. I currently have zeros for my CZ 455 17HMR, 6.5 grendel AR15, my LR308, and my Sig Cross creedmoor. My zero is usually within an inch of dead-on when checked at 100yds.

unless you have NVGs you'll need some type of scanner. The AGM Tiapan TM25 has been around awhile is pretty popular and inexpensive. Something else to budget for.

if money were tight I would buy ATN all over again. Unless you can score one that works real cheap….get it new in case you need the warranty

Last edited:
AGM new stuff has a 5year warranty that is transferable if you decide to sell it later. Rattler 35 and Adder 35 are great scopes and come with the American Defense mounts. They run about $2500 and you can sometimes find them with a cheaper handheld scanner added in for free (night vision guys).

I have a bering optics hogster R25 and an AGM TC 35-384. I use the clip on exclusively. The advantage of the dedicated thermal is that it weighs less overall. With the clip on you not only have the weight of your scope but also the weight of the clip on and the clip on weight is forward on the rifle which may not be ideal for your situation. I hunt blinds so its no big deal for me. I also like that when I start hunting during daylight hours and transition to night, I just clip the unit on and I don't have to worry about removing my daytime scope with quick detach mounts and putting on the thermal. People will tell you that you can hunt daylight with a thermal which you can but it sucks in my opinion. The other advantage of the clip on is that you zoom using your scope. You can zoom up to 6x. With the dedicated thermal, every time you zoom you cut your resolution in half. If you go dedicated, I recommend getting a higher base magnification so you have to zoom as little as possible. This is why I use my clip on exclusively. My hogster has a base magnification of 1.4x. At 1.4x, the picture is awesome but if you zoom it up twice, you are looking at blobs with no definition. I leave it on 1.4x and never zoom it. If you are going to hunt coyotes or hogs at 150 yds or more, get a 640 base resolution with the highest base power you can afford. Unfortunately, finding a budget 640 resolution with a 4x base magnification is going to be hard to find on a low budget.

I doubt you will find a low budget clip on used. AGM has the TC19-256. I have not looked through one so I can't make a comment. It would probably work ok for distances under 100 yds. I would stay away from the ATN thor lt 160's. I have never looked through one but 160 is the base resolution. AGM has a couple of 256 resolution scopes for close to the same price. There is also the hogster stimulus. I also don't like built in batteries. If your battery goes bad then you have no thermal until it gets back from being repaired. Both AGM and Hogster use cr123a batteries, both rechargeable and non-rechargeable so if something happens during your hunt, you can always run down to walmart and get more batteries if the need arises. You will probably get sticker shock and pass out but at least you can get them if needed.

As for buying one used, I can't give any advice other than to buy a name brand with some warranty left on it. I can say that AGM has an awesome customer support department. They are very helpful and quick to respond. I am kind of in the same boat in a way in that I want to sell my hogster but not sure of the best way to do it. People are reluctant to buy used thermals and I don't blame them.

I have a bering optics hogster R25 and an AGM TC 35-384. I use the clip on exclusively. The advantage of the dedicated thermal is that it weighs less overall. With the clip on you not only have the weight of your scope but also the weight of the clip on and the clip on weight is forward on the rifle which may not be ideal for your situation. I hunt blinds so its no big deal for me. I also like that when I start hunting during daylight hours and transition to night, I just clip the unit on and I don't have to worry about removing my daytime scope with quick detach mounts and putting on the thermal. People will tell you that you can hunt daylight with a thermal which you can but it sucks in my opinion. The other advantage of the clip on is that you zoom using your scope. You can zoom up to 6x. With the dedicated thermal, every time you zoom you cut your resolution in half. If you go dedicated, I recommend getting a higher base magnification so you have to zoom as little as possible. This is why I use my clip on exclusively. My hogster has a base magnification of 1.4x. At 1.4x, the picture is awesome but if you zoom it up twice, you are looking at blobs with no definition. I leave it on 1.4x and never zoom it. If you are going to hunt coyotes or hogs at 150 yds or more, get a 640 base resolution with the highest base power you can afford. Unfortunately, finding a budget 640 resolution with a 4x base magnification is going to be hard to find on a low budget.

I doubt you will find a low budget clip on used. AGM has the TC19-256. I have not looked through one so I can't make a comment. It would probably work ok for distances under 100 yds. I would stay away from the ATN thor lt 160's. I have never looked through one but 160 is the base resolution. AGM has a couple of 256 resolution scopes for close to the same price. There is also the hogster stimulus. I also don't like built in batteries. If your battery goes bad then you have no thermal until it gets back from being repaired. Both AGM and Hogster use cr123a batteries, both rechargeable and non-rechargeable so if something happens during your hunt, you can always run down to walmart and get more batteries if the need arises. You will probably get sticker shock and pass out but at least you can get them if needed.

As for buying one used, I can't give any advice other than to buy a name brand with some warranty left on it. I can say that AGM has an awesome customer support department. They are very helpful and quick to respond. I am kind of in the same boat in a way in that I want to sell my hogster but not sure of the best way to do it. People are reluctant to buy used thermals and I don't blame them.
Thank you for the input and advice that's what I needed. I was looking at the Agm rattler sounds like a clip on would be handy but realistically a guys need a couple.
;)))

If it's first thermal don't buy clip on. You'd do better buying entry level thermal with high end QD mounts and just swapping out. I advise Bobro and also trust American Defense.
I swap my thermals on 7 different AR's I run and never have issues holding zero as long as I enter the right zeros per rifle/caliber.
The only clip ons worth their merit are 18k on the cheap end typically 22k standard.

As far as budget that really doesn't go hand in hand for the thermal game. More money is definitely better, but if you have a limited budget and plan to shoot under 100-150 yards the agm rattler and burris thermals are decent for under 2500. I used an agm rattler 25 256 (for $1300) this weekend on some rabbits longest shot was about 110 yards seemed to be pretty decent for what it is. The agm 35 384 is a little better image quality not sure if it is 1000$ better than the 256 but the quality is definitely better. If you don't use the digital zoom you can get away with a little less powerful thermal detector, which in the case of the agm 25 256 at 3.5x and shooting under 150 yards it did decent. As has been mentioned before more money better quality also a viewer with a rangefinder is a great investment.

If you have one of those saddles that attaches to a tripod like the bog pod death grip, you can use the thermal on your rifle for scanning. The AGM thermals have a hot spot which can be connected to with a smartphone or tablet. I know ATN has this on theirs and I am sure others have it too. The advantage is that you don't have to hold a scanner to your eye all the time or worry about missing a pig because you had to turn it off to rest your eyes. That happened to me by the way. After hunting one evening, I went back and checked a camera and a massive hog walked out while I was resting my eyes and I never knew he was there. Again, this is one of those situations which may or may not be useful to you.