Thermal Night Vision Scopes

superdave24

I'm in the market for a Thermal Vision Night scope and would like some input as to what others might be using and like or dislike. My budget is $5500.
I've looked at ATN ThOR series, FLIR RS series and Pulsar XD38. The plan is to hunt hogs and deer probably not more than 150-200 yards. I don't need the best but definitely don't want the worst. I would like to have a scope that I am going to enjoy and feel like I got my monies worth with good clarity out to 200 yards. Am I in the price range for that and looking at the correct models? Thanks in advance for everyone's response.

I've been researching latest thermal scopes for some time now. I have a bit of experience with thermal imaging from my helicopter flying experience so I have a good idea what really works in the field.

I've settles on the IR Hunter. However my savings for the project were diverted )mean are easily distracted by toys!) so Ive had to delay my purchase.

I like that is has a great selection of reticles, real scope turrets for adjustment and very good resolution.

I looked at all the thermal I could at SHOT last year after having done my research and handling this one confirmed what I had discovered with research.

Right on your budget also. Good luck with your search.

https://tnvc.com/shop/ir-hunter-mk-ii-19mm-thermal-scope-640-x-480/

I've got an ATN Thor unit, an ATN Tico clip on unit, and an Armasight NV unit.

Between the Thor and the Tico, I prefer the Tico clip on unit. I've got it on an Armalite AR-10 with a NF NXS 5.5-22x56. The Tico unit utilizes the scopes magnification for zoom and by using the focus knob on the unit, I can get impressive detail at 600 yards.

The Thor unit display gets distorted quickly when you utilize the zoom functions. The 1x magnification is the best image by far. 8x is pretty much useless for my purposes.

IMO, ATN's customer service sucks! The owner's manual states that the centerline of the thermal unit and the centerline of the rifle scope should be within 3mm of each other for optimal performance. Before I mounted the NF to my Armalite, I called ATN to get the height of the centerline, since that information is not contained in the owner's manual. The useless individual at ATN's customer service department stated that they did not have access to that information and I would need to figure it out myself. For the over $5k I invested in the unit, that is absolutely unacceptable. I am never purchasing another ATN product.

There are a couple of guys on the Hog Hunting section that use thermal extensively and they use Armasight. From what I've read, they are very happy with their Armasight units. I'm very happy with my Armasight NV unit.

My advise would be to purchase the best thermal unit you can afford. It will suck when you spend several thousands of dollars on a unit just to get angry that what you have is less than you need.

The Thor unit I have works well out to about 150. Most of my hunting with the Thor is done in small clearings. I've used it in agricultural fields, but have not taken any long shots. I've not tried hunting with it at longer distances.

I own the Armasight 640 Apollo clip on. I love it. I can spot critters to several hundred yards away. ID range will be a lot less though. For the money I have seen the 336 Apollo on EBay for $4500. I think that would be all you would need. 30hz model should be your best bet over the 60hz. The 60 I hear will eat batteries faster. My 30hz performs fine for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.