There just ain't no free lunch

royinidaho

Grew up in the old days and have a hard time wondering why HDTV is a gotta have and expensive camera bodies and lens are the ticket. That is until I watch the projected HDTV program on the screen that covers the wall and see the photos posted here that are really eye catching and very pleasing to view.

They just wreak of time/study/patience/technology and an "eye" for what's pleasing. Ahh, patience, for the want of patience.......

I have a Cannon EOS 30D body with a Cannon EFS 10-22 that is great for aerial photos of spud fields and great for wide shots of a honey hole to be used as a range chart when land marks are associated with LRF readings. Its pretty much useless for anything else.

I spent the fun part of the morning attempting to set up my spotting scope w/a consumer type digital. Bottom line is that it "jist ain't gonna cut it", not that it can't be done but the odds of success are very limited.

I know the lens we want (we being my son who has the talent, eye and is an excellent photographer and who is a real PITA when it comes to critiquing my point and shoot style.:rolleyes:)

So I guess the NXS purchase is going to be delayed a bunch and the whatever zoom lens he has chosen (for what I want to do) and extender will be the next big LRH purchase.

Either that, or now that the google earth feature is implemented here, I know where Craig Dodd lives;) Thou shalt not covet:rolleyes: Hey, lenses aren't mentioned, are they?

Roy, Roy, Roy...

I guess its lucky for me that you have Canon and I have Nikon. That ol Google map has a pin stuck right through my den, where that new D200 is sitting.

I will have to agree on the no free lunch. However, I do believe in buying equipment that lasts years if not a lifetime. I took three camera lenses to the camera shop and three guns to the gun shop to be sold. Old toys go away and new ones take their place. Given our proximity to Yellowstone and a desire to "shoot" critters in the Park, it seemed like a natural progression of a photo hobby that started in 1964.

I would bet that a 100-400 Canon lens would drop right on that EOS 30D and would be the equivalent of a 640mm lens on a 35mm camera. No more - What's that little black dot in the middle of your picture? I can't think that your camera won't work, it just needs a long lens. You could sneak into your super secret elk "honey hole" shoot them up in August/September and still come back and fill that tag with your 338 Ultra Mag or that fire breathing 270 Allen Mag.

Life is too uncertain, eat desert first! Guess I sound like someone on the other side of sixty and picking up speed. But I figure that if there is something I always wanted to do, I had best get after it. I do know that the hills are getting steeper every year. In addition, nobody calls you a "road hunter" when you shoot them with a camera.

I want to go out and get another Idaho bull moose and the camera will allow me to "hunt" them year round, both here and out of state. Sort of like catch and release fishing, I can use them over and over. I did kill an elk in Yellowstone (used the wife's Audi), so I am hoping the next Park elk will be more fun and a whole lot less expensive.

Craig

PS I just turned the outdoor security light on!

I think the Cannon 100-400 is the one we're looking at. Its a "white" lens.

There's a sigma that is called the 'bigma' that looks good also.

What black spot you lookin' at in the pic????

Note the house off of my right shoulder! Most of the yotes shot outback are within sight of a house. Mostly walk and stalk w/some calling.

Know whatcha mean 'on the other side of 60' Hell, I'm starting to get medicad infor in the junk mail. Its easier to calc a ballistics table from scratch than to figure that stuff. I'm gonna just skip it.

I just go slower longer;) Last year I still went straight up the hills instead of doing the switch back thing. Can do that all day long as long as I don't have to carry a load.

When I get something down I'm in big trouble......

I have noticed however that a gig of pics can be taken and the load doesn't get any heavier.:rolleyes:

Roy, I am not sure which Sigma lens is refered to as the "bigma" but I do know that the Canon 100 - 400 f 4.5-5.6 "white lens" has an image stabilizer (assume it's the equal to Nikon's vibration reduction [VR] system). With the stabalizer it improves your ability to hand hold such a lens and still get acceptable results. I assume the Canon lens may cost a bit more but no more than a 8x32 NXS rifle scope.

I will have to agree that even 4 to 8 Gig doesn't add much weight to your pack. Besides, your wallet will be lighter...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.