The word from the Federal Ammunition rep today

Never let a good crisis go to waste. Motto of most politicians.
Fixed it for ya. ;)
I feel sure they are like every other company across this nation with a Help Wanted sign in the window, Nobody wants to work. Example, My home town 10 fast food restaurants all hiring at $15 an hour within 3 blocks of the 5 people cleanly dressed on the corners hold the "Homeless, Anything will Help Sign", We are short staffed at our family business as well, we can't even get folks to show up for an interview
I have heard that same story from multiple companies I visit - some even offering $1K - $2K signing bonuses when a job is accepted. Meanwhile, the panhandler on the corner has nice boots, an expensive pack and a better coat than mine.
Ironically, my company has had openings in my group for over a year now, and yet they say, I *must* be fully vaccinated by the Dec 08 deadline or be dismissed. I've read 12 different studies now, and the more I read, the more I am confident that it's roulette odds to get the vax. I leave it in God's hands whether I become a Covid statistic. Not knocking anyone else's choice.

Edit to add: have seen 5.56 show up pretty regularly in the past month. BUT, at $12.99/20, I chuckle.

At the Federal plant in MN we worked 24 /7 . NO Machine stopped for more than 30 minutes , this was for a scheduled PM or if maybe a part broke in the machine.
I might add all the ammo machines from start of product to the boxing machines were made in the 1950's , paid for by USA tax payers for the wars that were going on at the time. Price tags in brass on the machines on what the Government paid for the machines. Only change they made since the 1950's was they added CNC controllers on them. I also might add that us Employees were able to buy ammo 2nds ( brass with a small dents in it or boxes that had a box tab folded wrong etc for $2.00 a box for all centerfire ammo. up to $3500.00 a year. I had one employee that had worked for me that had 44 years with Federal. He, had over $100,000.00 in ammo . So if you think the ammo companies do not have a vested interest keeping the ammo prices high for as along as they can I have a bridge to sale you over a dry river bed this year. ha ha ha. Its always not the problem at hand . Its how you deal with the problem that benefits you the best .
Ask President Biden if this is true. MD

Fixed it for ya. ;)

I have heard that same story from multiple companies I visit - some even offering $1K - $2K signing bonuses when a job is accepted. Meanwhile, the panhandler on the corner has nice boots, an expensive pack and a better coat than mine.
Ironically, my company has had openings in my group for over a year now, and yet they say, I *must* be fully vaccinated by the Dec 08 deadline or be dismissed. I've read 12 different studies now, and the more I read, the more I am confident that it's roulette odds to get the vax. I leave it in God's hands whether I become a Covid statistic. Not knocking anyone else's choice.

Edit to add: have seen 5.56 show up pretty regularly in the past month. BUT, at $12.99/20, I chuckle.
Hold the line Brother

my wife just got a $5k signing bonus to change jobs along with a $10k raise plus working from home. so it's a good time to be looking if you want a change.

this whole mess is just proof that universal basic income is not feasible. the government has no business supporting you or taking care of you. dont work if you dont want to work, i dont care. but you arent owed money so you can go buy the new iphone and watch netflix or hulu all day.

has the extra $600 a week for unemployment ended yet? it needs to. the D's are just using it to try and buy votes

Retailers that don't limit purchases are also contributors to the problem. I know it's not fool proof as you can buy two and come back an hour later and buy two more and probably get away with it, etc so it's not perfect. But it certainly helps. I don't understand stores that don't limit. There is zero chance the items will go unsold and a 100% chance they will make lots of customers happy instead of only 1 customer.
Agreed. All summer they would break down bricks when they got primers in and sell with a limit of 200. Not sure why the change, but yes they could have made a lot more customers happy.

At the Federal plant in MN we worked 24 /7 . NO Machine stopped for more than 30 minutes , this was for a scheduled PM or if maybe a part broke in the machine.
I might add all the ammo machines from start of product to the boxing machines were made in the 1950's , paid for by USA tax payers for the wars that were going on at the time. Price tags in brass on the machines on what the Government paid for the machines. Only change they made since the 1950's was they added CNC controllers on them. I also might add that us Employees were able to buy ammo 2nds ( brass with a small dents in it or boxes that had a box tab folded wrong etc for $2.00 a box for all centerfire ammo. up to $3500.00 a year. I had one employee that had worked for me that had 44 years with Federal. He, had over $100,000.00 in ammo . So if you think the ammo companies do not have a vested interest keeping the ammo prices high for as along as they can I have a bridge to sale you over a dry river bed this year. ha ha ha. Its always not the problem at hand . Its how you deal with the problem that benefits you the best .
Ask President Biden if this is true. MD
What you just described is normal supply and demand, not companies trying to keep ammo prices high. If they are producing 24/7 (which I easily believe you), price is high because demand far outpaces supply. The company is actively trying to meet demand and normalize the market.

Saying they have a vested interest in keeping prices high implies they are purposefully limiting supply (whether their's or their competitors') so that the high demand is intentionally not met and resulting in prices staying high.

I guess our difference is in semantics, because obviously, yes, Federal is a business and their purpose is to make money. If we compare what people are paying on Gun Broker for ammo to what Federal is charging, it's easy to see Federal isn't purposefully inflating their prices. They know what people are willing to pay, but charge less regardless.

Last edited:
It's not like the manufacturers can just flip a switch and start making ammo. The building alone would take better part of a year and if it's in a lib ran craphole, double that. Then you have machines to have built and as some have already mentioned , someone to flip the switch. So at best it would take 2 years to open. I am sure not every manufacturer is purposely limiting production.....there would have to be at least one that understands supply and demand.....especiallyif I can

Just read an article that stated that retail sales are up 14.5%. In the reloading components industry it is probably more than that. Americans are buying faster than production on a lot of things. A lot of offshore production is having a hard time keeping up with U.S. demand. I think someone earlier mentioned about powder being made in Australia. Hope I am not needing any of those powders.