The wait begins again

jarheadhunter

So last December I bit the bullet and bought my first suppressor. Sadly I ordered it from a local place that didn't have them in stock. I ordered a Silencer Co Omega 300. I wasn't aware that he didn't have them in stock and finally after about 4 months and not seeing any paperwork I called him to see what was up. He told me that it should be any time. A month later I finally got the call my suppressor had come in.

5 Months waiting and I had just started the paperwork. I was really depressed at this point and pretty much threw the paperwork in a drawer and left it setting there. Well fast forward to almost a year from when I purchased my suppressor and I have finally completed my paperwork and sent in for my tax stamp. WOOHOO Only 1 year to go.

So I am looking at getting the AREA 419 Direct thread for my suppressor. Is this a good option?

I think that the Area 419 setup is great. I have used them and really like them. It really just depends on what you have already for muzzle brakes, and what you plan to run the suppressor on. Keep in mind that Area 419 brakes are 165 a pop, so it can be a steep initial investment. The Omega 300 comes with the SiCo ASR brake. So if you only have a few rifles that you want to suppress then it is much cheaper to just get some ASR brakes for those guns. Of course, the ASR does not compare to the Area 419 in recoil reduction, but it gets the job done. What I am saying I guess is that if you have some lower recoiling calibers then the ASR is fine, if you have some magnums then you may want the Area 419.

Once you shoot a gun with a suppressor you will never want to shoot it without. So what will likely happen is you will switch the suppressor to whatever gun you are taking out. If that is the case then the ASR brakes are a MUCH cheaper investment. They go on sale regularly for around 50-60 a piece.

Of course, at the end of the day the real issue is that you don't have a suppressor for each of your guns ;) the NFA game is addicting, have fun!

I am putting it on a 28 Nosler right now. I would eventually like to use it on my AR for coyote hunting as well. I think I will go with the ASR for now. I only need to pick up one or two for now.

Local shop/range I talked to the other day said they've seen a few approvals lately in about 3 months. Supposedly the atf is shooting for 120 days or less turn around. So hopefully things are on the upside.

Local shop/range I talked to the other day said they've seen a few approvals lately in about 3 months. Supposedly the atf is shooting for 120 days or less turn around. So hopefully things are on the upside.

Heard the same a couple weeks back when I was completing my prints at a dealer. Just got the notification my tax stamp check was cashed so hoping it's a quicker turn around than I'm expecting.

One of the forums I read explained a few of the recent "3 mos turnarounds" as some new ATF hires that pulled off the top of stacks. I'd say the dealers throwing this idea around are just being um... hopeful.

Check was cashed for me last March and I plan on getting mine in time for prime furs end of January

I heard individual come back quicker then trusts. I still did a trust on my recent one I ordered in October so it can be shared. Hoping a year so I have it for next deer season. I have always used direct thread so can't help with the other part. So almost two months into my wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.