The Unlucky one

jpw360

So im going to head out deep into the bush deer hunting...no quad..still hunting for deer...however have an elk, a mule deer tag and a bear tag...i was thinking to take my 7mm-08 bc its easy to manouverin the bush but whichever unlucky one of the above mentioned species decided to cross my path i will forsure try to take it...the question at is...is 7mm-08 enough? I do hand load for my 7mm rem mag and have 168 bergers , 162, and 154, 139 sst...

Any suggestions?

So im going to head out deep into the bush deer hunting...no quad..still hunting for deer...however have an elk, a mule deer tag and a bear tag...i was thinking to take my 7mm-08 bc its easy to manouverin the bush but whichever unlucky one of the above mentioned species decided to cross my path i will forsure try to take it...the question at is...is 7mm-08 enough? I do hand load for my 7mm rem mag and have 168 bergers , 162, and 154, 139 sst...

Any suggestions?

Just an opinion, but the 7 RM sending 168 bergers is an excellent elk round.

Good Luck!

Jack

Umm.....thing is that my browning xbolt 7mm rem mag has a 26 in barrel and itskinda too long to drag it in the bush....my sako 7mm-08 is only 22 inches...its only 4 inch diff...but it kinda makes a difference

Umm.....thing is that my browning xbolt 7mm rem mag has a 26 in barrel and itskinda too long to drag it in the bush....my sako 7mm-08 is only 22 inches...its only 4 inch diff...but it kinda makes a difference

I agree. I just finished up a Grendel build with an 18" barrel and it makes the 22" inch barrel on my 7 RM seem too long for brush country. But all that changes when filling the freezer depends on the shot.

Jack

Not a caliber I'd recommend for any of those three except for Mule Deer.

If it's all I had or chose to carry I would look for a better bullet that's going to guarantee better penetration.

Since you have obviously got an affinity for the Hornady bullets I'd look to the Interbond or Interlock

You also need to be very careful about shot placement with this caliber to avoid trying to punch through heavy bone on the Bear and Elk.

You're really seriously limiting your options here.

I too have a tikka t3 heavy barrel 8lbs wo accessories 300 rem mag and i think that is 23 inch barrel.....its just heavy

7-08 is plenty of caliber at reasonable ranges for any of those animals. Use a good bullet, watch your ranges and shot placement. I have taken both bear and elk with a 25-06 and deer even with .243 Win at 200. Elk is a bit tougher but your 7 is more than adequate. If that's what carries and shoots well do it.

Im actually considering to load up some bergers 168 in that 7mm-08 but im not so sure if the twist rate (1 in 9.5 ) is adecuate

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts