The under-rated importance of the Vortex AMG

Cummins Cowboy,

34 mm scopes are, given the same wall thickness, stronger than 30 mm scopes. It's just an engineering known.

But yes, a 30 mm tube is lighter. And with the AMG's new reticle gimbal it does not need a 34 mm tube to get a lot of travel.

-> Like all of you, I really hope the current AMG and all future ones will prove to be utterly reliable.

KIMBER, I also use a Kifaru Gunbearer and love it. Now I can carry mu rifles at the ready and still use my hiking poles for the step ups and downs.

Eric B.

Until Vortex greatly improves reliability, I'll keep using my NF .

I think this is very smart. I was the sucker that had to try out the latest and greatest to try and save a few ounces and have some cool features. But I'll also be the first to figure out if this AMG is reliable or not. Time will tell, I've got the AMG mounted in a 7.75lb 338 ultra shooting 300 grain bullets with an aggressive brake. If the AMG is not reliable my rifle is going to tear it apart.

I hope it works out well , I really do . I wasn't surprised when the lower priced Vortex optics had issues. But the more $ they charge, the more we should expect.

I'll wait for the AMG to become established, then I'll wait 2 years for it to prove it has a place at the top . If it survives , I'll buy a used one for half of what they're going for now .

WeiserBucks,

"I wasn't surprised when the lower priced Vortex optics had issues."

This makes no sense to me. I still use Tasco World Class scopes on some of my toys. I never had one fail; even on my .375-.416 Rem. That means there have been no warranty issues to deal with.

I agree on the old Tasco scopes 100% ! I had a few that performed great . I guess what I meant was that some $200 scopes are better off for people who only shoot occasionally and don't put much strain on their optics .

I also think that modern overseas manufacturing has created the option of producing a product so inexpensively that replacements and warranty returns are still profitable and acceptable on a fairly large scale.

The AMG is is 100% American, hopefully that will mean better QC , better reliability and open some eyes at the Vortex round table.

Since Vortex hit the scene I have checked several. I'm still hoping they do well. I like to try new stuff. Presently I dislike FFP so this new offering is a non-sequitur to me.

I finally got mine after an 11 month wait. It really is all that it is said to be as far features and optical performance. Aside from getting used to operating the Ltec turrets, I had no problems getting it dialed in. I was, however, surprised to see that it is not actually 100% American made anymore, nor is it advertised by Vortex that way. The reticle is sourced from Germany.

I finally got mine after an 11 month wait. It really is all that it is said to be as far features and optical performance. Aside from getting used to operating the Ltec turrets, I had no problems getting it dialed in. I was, however, surprised to see that it is not actually 100% American made anymore, nor is it advertised by Vortex that way. The reticle is sourced from Germany.

It's 99% American made and 100% American assembled, I believe. I certainly don't consider a German-made reticle a negative in any way. Nor would I consider a Japanese part a negative. It's not like they're using parts from Vietnam or China. In fact, I think that Vortex's recognition that a few things may be better when made by preeminent manufacturers is a testament to their commitment to produce top tier optics. Only time will tell but the dedication of a special unit to manufacture the AMG in house sure suggests at a new level of quality control.

It's 99% American made and 100% American assembled, I believe. I certainly don't consider a German-made reticle a negative in any way. Nor would I consider a Japanese part a negative. It's not like they're using parts from Vietnam or China. In fact, I think that Vortex's recognition that a few things may be better when made by preeminent manufacturers is a testament to their commitment to produce top tier optics. Only time will tell but the dedication of a special unit to manufacture the AMG in house sure suggests at a new level of quality control.

I absolutely agree.

Weiser Bucks,

You're right about some lower end scopes being durable. I have a SWFA 5 -15 x 42 FFP, mil/mil scope on my 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator.
It not only has very good glass for a $600. scope but it is one of the few scopes in any price range that can be use on an AIR rifle (recall is forward) without falling apart internally.

** This quality at such a low price is the result of SWFA not spending buck on advertisement OR middlemen. Thank God I found them with the advice from guys on the "6.5 Creedmoor Forum".

But I'm convinced VORTEX is on the right track with their AMG scope(s). and I'll be getting one in a year or two.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.