The under-rated importance of the Vortex AMG

Litehiker

After reading and watching everything I could find on the Vortex AMG rifle scope, and then seeing one in the flesh, I feel its appearance on the market is somewhat under-rated.

Here we have an all American made, top quality tactical rifle scope with an innovative reticle gimbal.

The HD (or ED -> Extra-low Dispersion) glass is American made, as is virtually everything else in the scope.
It is assembled in a special area of the Vortex manufacturing facility devoted only to AMG scopes.

I think it is a scope comparable to the very best European scopes with the possible exception of Schmidt & Bender. In my opinion no other American manufacturer makes a scope that equals the quality of the Vortex AMG.

Yes, Nightforce and Leupold have excellent top line scopes but in this case we are talking total QUALITY of every part and the quality of function leading to durability. Here I feel the Vortex AMG sits at the top of American made or "assembled" scopes.

Any other opinions on this scope?

Eric B.

Interesting thread, and I have to agree! Especially on the American made aspect.

I have the AMG on my lightweight 338 ultra mag and it really does perform. I used to run the 5-25 ATACR, and while an excellent scope, it's just too heavy. The AMG L-Tec turrets are also exceptionally well made and extremely functional in the field. I carry my rifle in a Kifaru gunbearer and don't have to worry about turrets getting rotated no matter what I hike through.

I really put the AMG to the test this past hunting season and it accounted for 1 shot kills on four elk and a bear, ranging from 350 out to 800 yards.

If I had any complaint in this scope, it would be the magnification range. For punching paper and shooting steel at long range the 24x is great. But for how I hunt I will likely never shoot anything on 24x, and I would like a touch less magnification on the low end. I know Vortex is going to expand the AMG line so I'm hoping to see a 5-20x50 and maybe even something like a 4-16x44 in an even lighter package.

The magnification range is just not overall a good fit, I would be all kinds of interested at a 5-20 especially in second focal plane, the market that really is looking for lightweight tends to also want SFP so I think the mark was missed.

The only knock on it I could find is it's availability. Better chance of winning a unicorn rodeo than finding an MOA version...

I agree the scope is expensive, but only slightly more so than the NF NXS 5.5-22x50, and the AMG outperforms the NXS in every category.

How so, there are so few out there that important things like reliability haven't had time to run their course.

I know they have a great warranty, but that doesn't mean **** when you're not working 8K 2 miles in.

Durability has yet to be proven , a good track record will take years . I own , or have owned scopes from every major manufacturer S&B , Nightforce, Leupold, Vortex , Swarovski, Zeiss ect . I've never had to use the warranty on any except Vortex, and I've had to send in several different Vortex optics several times. Their warranty is top notch, I'm just tired of using it.

How so, there are so few out there that important things like reliability haven't had time to run their course.

I know they have a great warranty, but that doesn't mean **** when you're not working 8K 2 miles in.

I've run the AMG side by side with an NXS and to my eye the AMG glass is superior... better clarity/contrast/color and low light performance. The locking turrets are a big plus for the AMG as is the FFP reticle (understand others like SFP). The AMG weighs less too. I also prefer the AMG reticle over the MOAR. Also like how the AMG ocular does not rotate with the magnification ring. I know some of these are small things, but to me the AMG just has better features all around.

I do also agree that the #1 most important feature is reliability. None of the other features matter if the scope falls apart. In my opinion where NF has missed the mark is with the 34mm main tube on the ATACR. If the AMG reliability proves out and they expand the line, the AMG will prove to be superior to the NXS. But it will have real competition with an ATACR on a 30mm tube in the same weight range.

And if the AMG reliability fails, I'll be switching back to an NXS/ATACR because it is so reliable... last year I sold my ATACR to "upgrade" to the AMG because of all the features and lower weight... so I sure hope this AMG keeps working!

why in the world do we even have 34mm scopes. its dumb, its not like we need optics for an artillary piece. a 30mm tube NXS will take my 243 ai, to beyond 1 mile.

why in the world do we even have 34mm scopes. its dumb, its not like we need optics for an artillary piece. a 30mm tube NXS will take my 243 ai, to beyond 1 mile.

Yup. And there's a category that the NXS beats the AMG. But either scope let's me shoot further than I can range.

I really want to like Vortex, they have an optic for any price range to suit anybody. The AMG kinda rolls all the desirable features into one scope . Hopefully it is a success.

Until Vortex greatly improves reliability, I'll keep using my NF .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.