The ultimate 338 Lapua custom build

ZAR LRH

Guys, we want to put together a single shot 338 Lapua for long range hunting with a option for switch barrel in 6.5 or 6mm for practice.

Lets start at the action.

Given that the rifle will be used or hunting in harsh African conditions, I'm a little scared for actions with to tight tolerances (your thoughts?). So given that a integral recoil lug and rail in single shot is a must, what custom action would you choose to build a 338 Lapua on for hunting, but with accuracy in mind? Would also prefer something that can eject a unfired round of 4".

The Stiller Tac 338 single shot will do what you want. You will need another bolt to fit the small bolt faces if they will make one for you. Why the fixed rail and lug? The Stiller both are very securely pinned in place.

ZAR LRH,

I would call Defiance Machine and speak with Norm. He can walk you through the entire process and design the action you want for the .338 Lapua. You can discuss the ejection port length at that time. While many claim that the actions are tight tolerances, I've build a dozen rifle on Defiance actions which have gone to Africa on tough hunts. None have failed, ever.

You need to look at the Deviant Tactical action and then go through all the variations or options you might want. Ignore the term 'tactical' because they make a great action for long range hunting especially in single shot or DBM feeding. I use the 0.750" diameter bolts, 20 MOA rail and it comes with a fixed recoil lug.

Regards.

Build 2 rifles. The switch barrel has been tried many times with the same problems. They can't be made tight enough to be a LR gun without being fairly difficult to switch between calibers.

Seriously. Just get a cheap rem action with the same stock and a similar size and weight of barrel.

You will not regret this.

Build 2 rifles. The switch barrel has been tried many times with the same problems. They can't be made tight enough to be a LR gun without being fairly difficult to switch between calibers.

Seriously. Just get a cheap rem action with the same stock and a similar size and weight of barrel.

You will not regret this.

I have no problems building long range switch barrel rifles, the most precision rifles in the world will get barrels switched on them regularly with no issues, its all in the planning.

The problem is that while you and I both fully understand how to switch the barrels, the user may not. Does the user have a good barrel vice? Does the user have a good wrench and know how to use it in a way that won't mar up their expensive custom rifle?

TC tried the encore with varied success. IMO the encore just isn't good enough as a precision platform.

Build it on a Weatherby Mark V action.

Seriously, there are so many options out there it's mind boggling. I love Weatherby's. I build my 338 as an Edge on a German Mark V action but you can use Stiller TAC-338 or Defiance or Bat, Remington, Ruger, Browning, CZ or Weatherby.

IIWM I would not build a switch barrel. I started to go that route but changed my mind after learning more. If you are set on a switch barrel, the Weatherby would be easy for many reasons and is know for reliability in harsh environments. Extra bolt, extra magazine box, barrels. Done.

but

If you insist on a switch barrel for Africa and other. The Blaser is the way to go. Get any barrel+chambering you want.

Build it on a Weatherby Mark V action.

Seriously, there are so many options out there it's mind boggling. I love Weatherby's. I build my 338 as an Edge on a German Mark V action but you can use Stiller TAC-338 or Defiance or Bat, Remington, Ruger, Browning, CZ or Weatherby.

+1

My spin on this is that the Mark 5 makes the perfect action for the 338 Lapua because of the size
of the action, the bolt face only has to be opened up a few thousandths and the 378 extractor works without any modifications to it or the bolt. also with the center feed 4" mag box you have the mag length you want.

I know that a switch barrel rifle can be built that will be accurate, but I don't like changing anything after I get a rifle shooting good so My vote would be to build a dedicated 6.5 rifle and the 338 Lapua.

Just My Opinion for what it's worth

J E CUSTOM

The problem is that while you and I both fully understand how to switch the barrels, the user may not. Does the user have a good barrel vice? Does the user have a good wrench and know how to use it in a way that won't mar up their expensive custom rifle?

TC tried the encore with varied success. IMO the encore just isn't good enough as a precision platform.

I have a Borden BRL action ( they come no better ) and Jim makes an action wrench that is a perfect fit for your switch barrel set up. You know the saying...." Buy Once......"

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.