The U.S. army is switching calibers for its sniper rifles.

$7,800 per upgrade? Did I read that right? Man, think of the kind of custom rifle our 'smiths here could build for that???? What are we paying for?

Well thats awesome news!
I cant say as Id go as far as choosing the 300 win over the 338 Lapua, but at least its a step back in the right direction!
Now if we could just get rid of the 223/556 and upgrade to the 6.8 spc min. or better yet back to the 308/762, and get rid of the Beretta 9mm and replace it with an American made .40, or even back to a 45 in a 1911, then we'd be talkin about a real effective and smart move all accross the board!
Loose the squirl guns when you got stuff that shoots back at our boys! Give em what they need to get thier job done effectively. I think if I read 1 more post about "wounded partys" that the bad guys throw showing off all thier 223 and 9mm wounds and laughing at them, Im gonna puke!
Good job U.S. Army. Deffinately a step in the right direction IMO.

EDIT>>>>>>>> Ya, like Jmden said,........exactly what are we paying for? At least its a move in the right direction, but wow, thats a rediculous price.

Last edited:
Well thats awesome news!
I cant say as Id go as far as choosing the 300 win over the 338 Lapua, but at least its a step back in the right direction!
Now if we could just get rid of the 223/556 and upgrade to the 6.8 spc min. or better yet back to the 308/762, and get rid of the Beretta 9mm and replace it with an American made .40, or even back to a 45 in a 1911, then we'd be talkin about a real effective and smart move all accross the board!
Loose the squirl guns when you got stuff that shoots back at our boys! Give em what they need to get thier job done effectively. I think if I read 1 more post about "wounded partys" that the bad guys throw showing off all thier 223 and 9mm wounds and laughing at them, Im gonna puke!
Good job U.S. Army. Deffinately a step in the right direction IMO.

EDIT>>>>>>>> Ya, like Jmden said,........exactly what are we paying for? At least its a move in the right direction, but wow, thats a rediculous price.

I agree. The standard issue infantry rifle should be either the m14 or m1 chambered in 7.62 Nato and issued with an adjustable gas plug(In semi auto they have nearly the same rate of fire). This is a little off topic but why did the military choose the Remington action over the Winchester action for their sniper rifles?

My opinion is because they didnt have good taste:D, but the real answer is in the archives if you do a search here on L/R/H. I remember reading a thread about it a while back.....winter/spring-ish I think. Try searching those dates.
Nothing wrong with a Rem. Its a solid platform. Id prefer the Win personally, but theyre both good. I wish I could remember why they went with Remy, but I cant.

Well thats awesome news!

Good job U.S. Army. Definately a step in the right direction IMO.

QUOTE]

Amen. I second the motion. And third, fourth, and 5th it. We have to stop wounding our enemies with pea shooters that never worked and and KILL THEM decisively. Althoooo, at 7800 a pop for a 'kit', if I had a job I'd buy some Remington stock( and AutoZone and Texas Roadhouse).

Last edited:
$7,800 per upgrade? Did I read that right? Man, think of the kind of custom rifle our 'smiths here could build for that???? What are we paying for?

You sir nailed it! I am petitioning to have our M24's "upgraded" to the .300 Win Mag before our deployment to Afghanistan next year. The M24SWS cost around $7000 and to have it upgraded is about $4000. Seems rediculous doesn't it! The 7.62x51 is NOT a long range sniper cartridge and the .300's will be a huge step in the right direction. The 7.62x51 is right at home in our M110's and serves well for multiple targets at medium ranges. A .338 Lapua would be about perfect. Trust me, after owning a larger .338 there is no compairison.

That article wasn't very far off.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.