The Toughest Challenge for many long range shooters

Ian M

We tend to focus on hot-rod calibers, tack-driving rifles and state of the art optics.

I believe for many guys the toughest part of long range shooting is finding a suitable place to shoot. Access, safety and suitable distance for targets are major considerations and they don't necessarily come easy. We drive about 30-35 miles to our spots, usually hauling our gear and several hundred pounds of steel targets and frames. We have to worry about roads and trails since rain prevents access, as well as cattle and even the length of the grass. Yesterday we went out to shoot and recent rains had caused the **** grass to grow so much that we could not see our target location. Fortunately we could set-up at another nearby location but we found out that tall grass puts an end to prone shooting.

I would be interested to hear how good, or tough, some of you guys have it for your LR shooting locations.

I drive 55 miles, to a desolate field, in hot weather and loads of knats and fend off the fire ants. I set up targets walk 20 miles as I do not have a 4 wheeler. and then wait for the temp to cool down so four shots wont melt the barrel.

It sfun but its an all day event and it takes a lot out of you.

I am in the process fo building a shooting tralier, I already have the shooting bench, a steel table 3/8 of an inch thick in the shape of a paddle and weighs about 350 pounds.

I NEED THE TRAILER lol.

If I want to shoot past 600 yds,I have to drive 1500 miles to my parents house in Wyoming.
grin.gif
Seriously, the problem of a place to shoot is a factor that many who have it take for granted. I have a field locally that goes out to 1200 yds, but I can only shoot in it several times a year, as it is a cultivated field and the corn or soybeans make it hard to see. My local club is considering a 1000 yd range here in Memphis, so I may get lucky in the future.
smile.gif

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

Hello to all.

I'm happy to say that, here in the North Central area of PA where longrange hunting began, we have some great shooting just about anywhere for big game (deer).

For woodchuck hunting we have to get out of the steep mountains and to the farm lands which are north of here about 36 Miles. To our "favorite" farms and up to 1500 plus yards of shooting, the distance is about 65 miles.

The Williamsport 1000 yard range is 107 miles from my door here in Drtiftwood, PA.

All in all, except for the wide open spaces of the west, PA is hard to beat as per the shooting spots.

I will try to attach a pic of my shooting building here in the Driftwood area. We can shoot out to 3000 yards.

http://community.webshots.com/r1/9/31/95/28593195qZjkEozFuB_ph.jpg[/url]

Cut and paste the URL to your browser and the pic will come up

DC

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Growing up in Eastern Oregon wide-open spaces were not a problem. I had a 350 yard shot year round behind my house and a 45 min drive could take me to many spots out in the woods where the low rainfall and little vegetation allowed great shooting all summer. Now that I am in school and in the western part of the state my options are very limited.

There are few local ranges that support high-powered rifles. So it is 40 mile drive up into the mountains. The dense trees and underbrush make possible shooting spots hard to find. With the large number of roads and people out and about I have to be very careful and there have been several times when I had to give up a day of shooting due to people in or near my spot.

Drive? Just to go shoot?

I prefer to just walk out the back door and shoot from the deck.
Mvc-001f.jpg

I built the bench in the foreground just for shooting from. See that mound of dirt just to the left of the Basket ball goal?
Mvc-002f.jpg
It's 800 yards from the bench.

The camera doesn't have enough clarity to pick up the other targets. But the 100 yard backstop is just out of the frame to the
right in the first picture and there are also targets there for 300, 500 and 1,000.

I've enough things to do with out having to drive someplace to work up new loads, have you considered moving to a more
shooter friendly area? I don't regret my move at all.
grin.gif

Ian,
Excellent point indeed. The other major obstacle is finding people to hunt and shoot with, who are as passionate about it as you are.
I am single and pretty much work bankers hours which gives me the opportunity to hunt or shoot almost every day. The vast majority of the time, it's by myself. Just last night I got some shooting at a woodchuck that was about 950 yards. He sat there for 3 shots but I couldn't quite get the rifle back on target in time to see the impact. With no spotter, this style of hunting is very difficult.
Those of you with regular hunting buddies, consider yourselves lucky.

Prime Time
Excellent point. My second head-ache exactly. Very frustrating when the wind is down, sun is up and you don't have anyone to shoot with. You have to have a spotter for long range, simple as that. It is much more fun switching off shooter and spotter every twenty shots. We shoot a lot but the guys have to work and keep up with family etc.

I am very lucky, my friends and I can shoot safely out to 2400 yards right from my back yard. The only thing that messes us up is the crops in the summer time. But they will be out soon. And we can get back to the plate shooting. We have been able to shoot to 750 yards on paper all summer. But there is just something about the clank a Match King makes when it knocks over a steel plate that is music to my ears........LOL My wife and neighbors put up with all the gun fire with no complaints. Although she says the 300 Tomahawk rattles the windows. That is what windows are for right??

You've hit the nail on the head as my biggest head ache.

I'm beginning to think it must be easier to hit the lottery than find a good spotter.

My wife jumps when the gun goes off and loses track of the target. My boys get distracted and forget what they are looking
for. My hunting partner can't understand why I'd even want to shoot at anything more than 100 yards away and another
shooting friend says his eyes aren't good enough no matter how good the glass is. And as you can can tell from the pictures,
neighbors around here are kind of scarce.

My only blessing seems to be that this dry dessert dirt generally makes a five foot tall plume when the bullet hits. It's fine for
target shooting here in the valley, but I'd like to hunt in the mountains where the ground is moist.

Geeze Tim, can't belive that you would post that pic.! Out your back door! The closest spot I have is 22 miles away, and only good for just over 200 yards. The next is about 2 hours away, but good for at least 400 yards. Know of a great spot that would be good for over 1000 yards, just don't have permission! And its very close! Show some pity for your fellow shooters!

I've got it pretty good in that I can get 950 out of the father-in-laws reloading room window. Which is one of the reasons for me ending up at this site. There have been quite a few years when upon returning from hunting all day about 10 minutes before the hunting is done for the day, a nice buck or two emerge up at around 820. We have tried to stalk back up and either they leave before we get into range, it gets too dark, or are too winded to get a decent shot if we do get into range. We've tried waiting up there until dark, no combination has worked yet. I am hoping that with the information and help I've gathered here, and practicing the year or two to get proficient at that range, I can nail one up there. That is my goal.

Thats been my goal also. Like to extend my shooting range to be able to get at a couple of elk that like to stay just out of range! Just talked to the local gun range guys, they said it costs 200 smackers to join up the first year! Then ONLY 100 every year after that. THATS A LOT OF BULLETS!! The gravel pits that I have been using for the past 22 years look even better. Makes a guy a little more self-sufficient even more. Just got to make everything a little more "portable!"

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.