The time has come…

Frankly, Remington should re-introduce the 7 SAUM with a longer throat and 8 twist barrel.

If someone calls the 7PRC efficient, my head will explode! 30% more powder for 10% more velocity!

BTW, I own a 28 Sherman Magnum, so I know how easy it is to get sucked in!
Im not picking here at all, what would be your idea of a perfect LR 7mm cartridge ?
I think mine would be WSM case with a longer neck and less case taper but I think that one is on its way too
7x6.5PRC would be a anaemic.
I will also add that the 6.8 westerner is almost there, we will see 7mm and 30 cal I'm sure

Im not picking here at all, what would be your idea of a perfect LR 7mm cartridge ?
I think mine would be WSM case with a longer neck and less case taper but I think that one is on its way too
I will also add that the 6.8 westerner is almost there, we will see 7mm and 30 cal I'm sure
I agree, Winchester has a gold mine if they would have got on board, the 7wsm could have been amazing with longer neck

I've been shooting a full custom 7WSM for many years. I really don't see any issue with the "short neck". However, the fact that none of the manufactures of high quality brass make cases for the 7WSM is an issue. However, even with Win brass I manage to get surprising accuracy with good velocity.

I'd rather not bother with reforming 300WSM or 270WSM brass. It's just a pain in the ah-ah-neck..

Last edited:
I owned a 270wsm for several years and about wore it out. The whole But that was back before the prefit craze, and I didn't know forums like this even existed.
The standard from what I've learned is bullet diameter x 1.09 = minimum neck length and that means the neck on the 270wsm is .0253" to short. That might not sound like a lot but it has a neck length of .2765 when it should have a .30193 neck.
The need for the longer necks is especially critical in LR as most of us are running longer, heavier for bore bullets, not wanting to take up any powder room past the neck shoulder junction
Im am by no means a pro at any of this. Just applying what I've learned and it's working.

I can't see Remington bringing out the 7 SAUM twisted and throated for heavy bullets, because they'd still have it stuffed in their short action. And it wouldn't make sense for them to build it on a long action when they have their 7 Rem Mag.

Maybe Remington will surprise us all by introducing a medium length 700 action?

I can't see Remington bringing out the 7 SAUM twisted and throated for heavy bullets, because they'd still have it stuffed in their short action. And it wouldn't make sense for them to build it on a long action when they have their 7 Rem Mag.

I think the Saum will do much better if Remington just stays away from it!

I thought maybe Winchester was headed that direction when news of a news of the 6.8 westerner was leaking out. Was very surprised they didn't head to the mid length market, which wasn't even a real thing when they started the development

I owned a 270wsm for several years and about wore it out. The whole But that was back before the prefit craze, and I didn't know forums like this even existed.
The standard from what I've learned is bullet diameter x 1.09 = minimum neck length and that means the neck on the 270wsm is .0253" to short. That might not sound like a lot but it has a neck length of .2765 when it should have a .30193 neck.
The need for the longer necks is especially critical in LR as most of us are running longer, heavier for bore bullets, not wanting to take up any powder room past the neck shoulder junction
Im am by no means a pro at any of this. Just applying what I've learned and it's working.
Not nearly as important as many would have you believe. The 300 win mag fails that neck formula by a mile but is a very efficient long range cartridge with bullets seated at the neck junction. Originally the mantra was that if you seated bullets past the neck junction you'd have donut issues. Then as long high bc bullets became all the rage it changed to powder capacity.

More powder more power
Same as the gas pedal and tires are the barrel

I think we've come full circle. Everyone one wanted long and powerful…26" barrels and full length actions. Now it seems like every new thread is all about short actions, short barrels, suppressors, and efficiency. Im not going to lie, I've fully made the change going from a 300wm to a 20" 7saum. I don't see myself going back.

28 Sherman Magnum….but it burns ~84 gr of powder to get the job done.

Normally, I prefer the more efficient 50-60 gr rounds like WSM or SAUM, but I wanted fast this time.

I think we've come full circle. Everyone one wanted long and powerful…26" barrels and full length actions. Now it seems like every new thread is all about short actions, short barrels, suppressors, and efficiency. Im not going to lie, I've fully made the change going from a 300wm to a 20" 7saum. I don't see myself going back.
Same I spent a fortune chasing marginal velocity and bc improvements that would only pay off at hunting ranges I'll never shoot at game. Short handy efficient rifles are much more enjoyable a pursuit