The Theoretical Masterpiece build

So I figured this would be a fun way of putting together a build considering a few things.
1. No limit on $$ spent
2. Point will be shooting as accurately as possible at ranges from 1k-3k+.
3. Use your knowledge of experience with components to help develop this.

Ill start with a quick spit of pieces I felt were a good starting point.

Cartridge- ?? (possible the .375)
Scope - Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 (h2cmr reticle)
Mounts - Badger
Rings - Badger
Action - Defiance
Barrel - Bartlein
Stock - AICS AX 2014
Bullet - ??
Powder - Hodgdon h4350
Brake - APA Gen II Fat bastard (Will prob need the XXX)
Bipod - Harris 6-9
Sling - Tab Gear

Feel free to disagree and post what you think should go where :)

If money werent an issue i would skip the build and buy the LRKM from defensive edge. Last time i checked they were 8 months out.

Pretty hard to argue 3100 FPS out of a 300 grain bullet.

I think they run $7500 with the nightforce.

Don't care much for the subject title but love this real beast >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...a-improved-something-little-different-150813/

I suppose one person's idea of a masterpiece is completely different than someone else's. Lets just say I'd like to see you guys help me theoretically build a rifle that has the maximum potential subsonic range with the current technology available.

Why is H4350 powder specified in a gun build?

I've heard quiet a few good things about it but what would you have in mind?

Spending a lot of money on a fine rifle with excellent ballistics will be a waste beyond about 1500 yards unless you figure out a way to get a handle on downrange crosswinds. You can use spotter rounds if the target area will give visible dust puffs or if you have a downrange spotter (human or video) to give you feedback though that's not practical for hunting. First round hits are just luck no matter how good your rifle and ammo are at over a mile.

My two rifles that can shoot supersonic to over 2000 yards are a Rem700 29" 7mm STW shooting 180 Berger VLS and a Sako TRG-s 32" 338-378 Wby shooting 300 VLDs. Neither rifle is limiting the accuracy at a mile to 2000 yards.. It's essentially always wind deflection uncertainly that's the limiting factor, at least in southern Arizona where I shoot. .

Spending a lot of money on a fine rifle with excellent ballistics will be a waste beyond about 1500 yards unless you figure out a way to get a handle on downrange crosswinds. You can use spotter rounds if the target area will give visible dust puffs or if you have a downrange spotter (human or video) to give you feedback though that's not practical for hunting. First round hits are just luck no matter how good your rifle and ammo are at over a mile.

My two rifles that can shoot supersonic to over 2000 yards are a Rem700 29" 7mm STW shooting 180 Berger VLS and a Sako TRG-s 32" 338-378 Wby shooting 300 VLDs. Neither rifle is limiting the accuracy at a mile to 2000 yards.. It's essentially always wind deflection uncertainly that's the limiting factor, at least in southern Arizona where I shoot. .

I agree to some extent. I mean these builds are build mainly to shoot at long ranges, so why not push the limit. That's what we do as humans naturally is always try to out do ourselves and one another. As for landing on paper first shot, I would have to agree that to a point (possibly 36x36 size target or smaller), you probably wont be able to guarantee that first cold bore shot is going to hit paper. However I think that its 100% possible after seeing where and what is happening for the 2nd shot to be on paper beyond 2000 meters with the proper build and shooter (and most importantly spotter).

I do know that every video I have watched of a 2500+ meter shot does not show every shot taken to hit the target, and some even deceive you into thinking it took 2 or 3 shots. There is no doubt is luck evolved in making these shots though, I won't deny that.

lightbulbI just did and are you saying it's not?lightbulb

Oh I wasn't disregarding the link, I looked it over and its beautiful.
I just want more opinions :)

Cartridge- 338 Lapua Improved with throating.
Scope - Nightforce AtacR SFP
Rings - Three NF HD rings
Action - BAT M multi flat, dual port with custom taper rail, pinned, timed and melonited.
Trigger- BixnAndy
Barrel - Kreiger 6 groove, 9.35 twist, 1.350 shank Heavy palma no flutes 32 in.
Stock - Manners T5A heavy fill.
Bullet - Berger 300 OTM trimmed and pointed.
Powder - R33 or VV N570
Brake - JE Custom Assassin
Bipod - SEB JOY-pod and Edgewood rear bag.

Your previous response sure does not seem to support that though.

You are miss interpreting what I meant when I said that.

When you said "Don't care much for the subject title", i figured you didn't agree with my picked options, thus why you posted your build.

Back on track here.

Cartridge- 338 Lapua Improved with throating.
Scope - Nightforce AtacR SFP
Rings - Three NF HD rings
Action - BAT M multi flat, dual port with custom taper rail, pinned, timed and melonited.
Trigger- BixnAndy
Barrel - Kreiger 6 groove, 9.35 twist, 1.350 shank Heavy palma no flutes 32 in.
Stock - Manners T5A heavy fill.
Bullet - Berger 300 OTM trimmed and pointed.
Powder - R33 or VV N570
Brake - JE Custom Assassin
Bipod - SEB JOY-pod and Edgewood rear bag.

Doing a lot of research on the Imp 338 cartridge atm, looks very promising.
Great build overall.

You are miss interpreting what I meant when I said that.

When you said "Don't care much for the subject title", i figured you didn't agree with my picked options, thus why you posted your build.

Back on track here.

Doing a lot of research on the Imp 338 cartridge atm, looks very promising.
Great build overall.

Yep, you misconstrued my response. There's nothing wrong with your choices otherwise I would have said so.

I am simply not a big fan of theories and I provided one the is already built, a reality as supposed to theory.

Using this criteria the only possible calibre is .375.

Point will be shooting as accurately as possible at ranges from 1k-3k+

If you can shoot a 338 that far you will scare yourself & everyone around you with your performance with a 375 lightbulb

Cartridge- Definitely one of the .375 CT imps
Scope - NF ATACR SFP for elevation, the new ED glass will be awesome
Mounts custom 50-60 moa
Rings - Spur
Action - Single shot Custom, BAT, Stiller, Barnard, etc
Barrel - Gain twist Bartlein, 7-7.5 exit twist
Stock - Chassis XLR etc
Bullet - My CEB 425/427, 450/452
Powder - RL 50
Brake - T5 Terminator
Bipod - Notched Harris 6-9 or similar
Sling - Eberlestock gunslinger or similar pack

With some tuning etc that rig will shoot consistently well past 3K no problem, 1-2 K becomes a chip shot. :cool:

425-450 grain projectiles @ 3100-3200 fps with BCs over 1 take a lot of beating lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts