The Texas 260 (Shooting Steel At A Mile)

ADMIN

Administrator
This project began as I prepared for some long range shooting at Accuracy First, located in Canadian, Texas. Most of the class members were repeat customers while I would be one of the newbies. While the majority of the class planned on using a 308 with the 175 grain Sierra MatchKing (SMK), I hoped to use a round with a higher BC and muzzle velocity - you know, if you can't beat them with skill, try to beat them with technology. For mile shooting, it's been suggested that you choose a bullet that transitions well into subsonic flight, even if that means you're not choosing a bullet that has the highest BC. Of course the ideal solution is a bullet that has both a high BC and transitions well. I read of shooters having success at a mile using the high BC 6.5mm 140 grain A-MAX and 142 grain SMK bullets. I contacted Robert Silvers at AAC and asked him what kind of accuracy I could expect from the fast twist AAC 260 Remington barrels. He responded with an offer to let me try five of the barrels and then choose the one I wanted, if any. Sounded like a plan to me, since I already had about 1200 mid to heavy weight 6.5mm bullets on hand (for my 6.5 RathuvAL).Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, The Texas 260 (Shooting Steel At A Mile) , By Alan Marshall. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Sounds like the whole process was a great time. I live a couple hours East of Canadian where the real wind blows. We have the highest average sustained windspeed in North America, hey though when its windy its windy it don't really matter where. My father and I were shooting pdogs out in it last weekend and, like they say practice makes perfect, and I need more paractice.:rolleyes: We have shot targets out to 794 with some of the same loads in my 260 AI and I am wanting to move on out more in the ranges you were talking about. I enjoyed the article so much I forwarded the link to several of my shooting buddies. You are encouraging and inspiring us to reach farther, and by the way I am old enough to think the shooting mats are not a bad idea prone but its not so much the rocks as the stickers and cactus and ants and...
I look forward to more good info.

One real question, on your rear slide being parallel to the barrell, do you see that being an issue on shorter ranges too(500-800 m) or does that only come into play when you start reaching out to the mile? I pinch my rear bag and adjust it with my weak hand to settle for elevation and windage hold when I am shooting prairie dogs so when I move to the longer targets I had done basically the same while prone on the bipod. What I am wondering is, am I getting myself into a bad habit that way and not assuring a consitant slide in recoil? I use a slightly tapered stock shape that I could easily modify to straight but I wouldn't have the elevation adjustment you have on yours.

i have a moser 260 we bilt not reley hapey with adams & benet baral we uesd with barll and twist did you pike.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.