The Tale of the 6.5 PRC

Things I didn't know and help for all of the 6.5 PRC soles out there:
  • Bullets
    • Berger Elite Hunter 140 gr on back-order (I back-ordered through MidSouth Shooters)
    • Berger 156 gr. EOL are available but was looking for the 140 gr.
    • Hornady 143 gr ELD-X waitlist
  • Ammunition and Brass are a pain in the backside
    • Ammunition for the most part is sold-out unless your willing to pay the price gougers
    • ADG waitlist
    • Hornady sold out and really not a fan of their brass
    • gunwerks I'm not that rich
    • Nosler December 2020 maybe
      • Same for the reloading data
Solution: Order and wait for back-orders to be delivered because the hunt isn't until 2021 thank goodness.
Fly Guy,

ADG Brass will be available this November (I called them) That is what I am using . I have the ELDX's and have good loads with H1000 and RL26. Also the 124gr Hammer Hunter shows promise. I will tinker with it more if I have time before hunting season this year. I would recommend the Hammer over the ELDX for Elk. I tried the 142gr ABLR's they won't shoot in my gun. If you want the 90 or so I have left PM me. I might be able to spare a box of the ELDX's as well. I believe the Bregara is a 1-8"? I am shooting a Seekins 1-8" 24" (wish it was a 26"). The 131gr Hammer (per conversation with them) will potentially not stabilize in a 1-8", they recommend 1-7.5". I have a box of 50. Good luck for your Daughter and you!

Last edited:
I have an 11 year old daughter that no matter what I cannot talk her out of an Elk hunt. I was looking for a unicorn which is a light recoiling magnum. The original idea was a 270 or 300 WSM then through the magic of the internet I found one hell of a deal on a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge in 6.5 PRC. https://tsswarehouse.com/shop/berga...o-syn-hinged-floorplate-2rd-bergara-b14sm519/
Fly guy. Forgot to mention in my first reply. Go to SubMOA shooting and you can buy sample packs of 12 bullets for load testing. Spend $75 and get free shipping. Also Unknown Muntions sells loaded ammo with the 156 Berger and ADG Brass. Spendy, but when you break it down it is not that bad. Here is the link to Sub Moa and the next bullet I am going to try. Federal Ascent Bonded : https://www.submoashooting.com/fede...5mm-caliber-0-264-diameter-130-grain-12-pack/

A lot of scrambling and her is what I have come up with:
  • Brass just ordered from Gunwerks (it said in-stock just today and I ordered)
  • Berger 156 gr. EOL from Brownells
  • Federal #215M from Midsouth Shooters Supply
  • Reloader 26 already had on hand but if there is any left check Bruno Shooters Supply
  • Redding standard FL die set with a Micrometer VLD seating stem added
Attached is some reloading data that I received from Berger; it should be based on a 24"in. barrel.

Attachments

• 6.5 PRC Berger 156gr data.pdf
    113.3 KB · Views: 866
A lot of scrambling and her is what I have come up with:
  • Brass just ordered from Gunwerks (it said in-stock just today and I ordered)
  • Berger 156 gr. EOL from Brownells
  • Federal #215M from Midsouth Shooters Supply
  • Reloader 26 already had on hand but if there is any left check Bruno Shooters Supply
  • Redding standard FL die set with a Micrometer VLD seating stem added
Attached is some reloading data that I received from Berger; it should be based on a 24"in. barrel.
Fly Guy,
Thanks for providing that load data. Been hard to find any, besides Hornady. I just started with RL26 and the 143ELDX the node that looks the best for me so far in my Rifle Seekins Havak 24" 1-8. Is 57 gr RL26, GM210M primer COAL 2.950 NEW ADG brass. (tested GM215M also and an ES of 8 SD of 3 was better with 210's no major change in MV ave. 2947. The GM215M's are the only thing available now, and you should be fine with them. I scooped up a few more bricks recently.
That data looks extremely hot on the high end. I did test up to 57.4gr (still no horrible pressure in my rifle but velocity dropped. "diminishing returns" Maybe there is another node higher, but I don't want to try. I am using Hornady Match Bushing dies (because Redding is shut down due to the PLANDEMIC, wanted their bushing dies). I have not resized anything yet. (just got the rifle in June). I started some loads with H1000, promising results with the same specs as above there is a node @ 59gr-59.4 in my rifle with nearly identical MV. I will be shooting groups at distance tomorrow and will report back.

Good luck!

I've worked through 4 different 6.5 prcs for load development. I've always found 210m to be best primers. I tried cci 250 and 215m with the slower powders like N565, H1000, Rl26. 210m has always given best results.

Fly Guy,
Thanks for providing that load data. Been hard to find any, besides Hornady. I just started with RL26 and the 143ELDX the node that looks the best for me so far in my Rifle Seekins Havak 24" 1-8. Is 57 gr RL26, GM210M primer COAL 2.950 NEW ADG brass. (tested GM215M also and an ES of 8 SD of 3 was better with 210's no major change in MV ave. 2947. The GM215M's are the only thing available now, and you should be fine with them. I scooped up a few more bricks recently.
That data looks extremely hot on the high end. I did test up to 57.4gr (still no horrible pressure in my rifle but velocity dropped. "diminishing returns" Maybe there is another node higher, but I don't want to try. I am using Hornady Match Bushing dies (because Redding is shut down due to the PLANDEMIC, wanted their bushing dies). I have not resized anything yet. (just got the rifle in June). I started some loads with H1000, promising results with the same specs as above there is a node @ 59gr-59.4 in my rifle with nearly identical MV. I will be shooting groups at distance tomorrow and will report back.

Good luck!
I have found Hornady load data to be very flawed from wrong velocity tables to wrong case trim length according to SAMMI specifications. I will post some very extensive load results later today.

• The first 10 shots were to find a velocity node but they just weren't fast enough.
  • Set 2 (shots 11 through 20) were suppose to yield 2947 fps at the 58.5 grain load but as you see with the data it was much higher.
  • So a little too cold and a little too hot. Need a 3rd test.
  • See the next Post!!!
Shooting conditions: 38 F Light Rain and 63% humidity (screen shot did not have the baro)

Velocity Testing 1.jpg

The goal of 2950 fps and node velocity testing complete! By node I'm looking for the flat spots and shot 24 and 25 look good! The next will be a seating depth test using 57.2 grains of Reloder 26. I use the Berger bullets Seating depth Test for final tune and then shoot a final string to verify velocity. I use a Magneto Speed for velocity; thus the reason for a final velocity test.

Side note: I am just 0.2 grains over the max for Hornady data which says that I should have 3150 fps based on a 26" barrel. I am shooting a 24" barrel.
Velocity Testing 2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.