The supposed 'magical' muzzle brake

Tesoro

I picked up some posts here and there on a patented brake called the 'Muzzlemaster' invented and manu by an older gusmith out of Eugene, Oregon, named Richard Buss.

Credible anecdotal claims by some locals in my area are that it reduces or equals the blast noise over no brake while reducing flip and recoil. yeah yeah I find it hard to believe also as it goes against the physics or a normal brake. It also has an adjuster on it to tune harmonics. It isnt large either like a Browning boss.

The patent info and schematic is here : http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5814757.pdf
Interesting design and I can see why the internal baffle could do something different than a reg brake but there is no mention of recoil or muzzle jump reduction.

I am going to be in Eugene on wednesday so plan on visiting his little shop to see whats its all about. If anyone has any input that could save me that detour then please post away!

I figure that if it did all of that then we would all have them and Mr Buss would be hanging out on his yacht in Tahiti right now.

Last edited:
Be there tomorrow. heres a pic of one/ looks more like a mini suppressor!

Attachments

• 10675558_843792855662197_866619588140793001_n.jpg
    10675558_843792855662197_866619588140793001_n.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 343
Interesting design. It should reduce recoil a certain amount, as all radial brakes do, I do have my doubts however that it will reduce recoil as much as discharge brakes do. But, recoil reduction may not be the only/main purpose.

I personally would not have it on a hunting rifle, nothing against that specific brake, but I wont run any radial brake on a hunting rifle, I mostly hunt in the dusty dry plains of Wyoming, and don't like having sand blown all over all my shooting equipment with every shot. I wouldn't have these requirements on a target rifle, however.

Either way, there is never any harm that comes from learning, if your interested, still stop by and see what its all about!!

thats why I like the side ported brakes.
I personally would not have it on a hunting rifle, nothing against that specific brake, but I wont run any radial brake on a hunting rifle, I mostly hunt in the dusty dry plains of Wyoming, and don't like having sand blown all over all my shooting equipment with every shot. I wouldn't have these requirements on a target rifle
thats why I like the side ported brakes.

Thats the idea - an exploratory visit. As he makes them one by one I was planning on asking if he could leave out the holes on the bottom part! I do most of my fun shooting in the high desert so Im with you on that one. My primary goal is to save my ears and second is flip. I dont care about recoil as I shoot a creed.

Corrction: save whats left of my ears!

Last edited:
Made my visit today. Small shop one man operation. Just my style. He does make a 'tactical' muffler style version with only side and top vents as well as the conventional radial type.

He claims the sound is reduced to the same apparent blast as shooting a straight barrel but the tone is somewhat different..not any worse on your ears. He hasnt tested the sound with a meter but he said everyone who shoots them agrees its no worse than without and some say better ( on the ears). The flip is reduced significantly and the testing he has done with his sled produced low 40% recoil reduction and up to 50% on certain configs. He has been making these locally for many years. He isnt interested in doing more than this. His main shootin iron is a 264 winmag and claims he sees his hits when hunting.

For the tunable version he recommends shooting your test loads until you find the one with the best SD and then put on the tuner/brake to dial in the groups for that load. I have to do some thinking on this.

To install a tunable version he turns down and flutes the last .5 in or so of the barrel, reducing the diameter to about 75%. The flutes are .1 inch apart. He then turns the barrel behind the fluted tip for threading on the brake. He then indexes the barrel just behind the treading with hash marks micrometer style. When you have it tuned you screw down a small set screw into the valley bottom of the closest flute. He said that you dont need any more precision on the tuning than .1 inch turn increments. Once it is tuned you note the indexing as the brake needs to be taken apart and cleaned every so often as it will carbon up. I forgot to ask how many shots on average it takes to gunk up.

He does the fluting method because it is different from the Browning Boss patent system so he dosent infringe on their patent.

I brought him my conventional radial brake off my creed so that he can make one of his tac versions up for me using my brake dia and threading. I'll go back in a week with my rifle so he can finish the install by threading his brake to line up correctly with the threading of my barrel.

When done I will have a bare barrel, conventional brake and his suppressed brake to compare. $200 dollar experiment but I have faith in the fellow and the local hunters who back him. Attached is a pic of the tuner brake on one of his 22 rifles.

To try out the adjustable brake means you would have to butcher your barrel. Without the brake on you would have a straight barrel that is threaded at the end but then with a 1/2 inch long smaller diameter fluted tip poking out in front. I guess if one wanted to have a tuner one would keep it on all the time anyhow.

That grizzly noise redirector looks like it wold be great for my 16in light varmint 223 ar barrel but too bulky for my conventional hunting rifles.

Thats all I know for now.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2498.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2498.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.