The Summer Slump... . What are you working on?

WildRose

In my part of the world, North Texas July and August are pretty hellish with temps regularly between 100-110 and occasionally 115 or more so doing much of anything outside that isn't absolutely necessary is pretty much off the table.

Normally the summer is when I work on gun projects at least for as long as the A/C can keep up and keep things tolerable.

Most of my projects however are done, all I've got to work on really other than some load development once it cools off is to finish a rifle I've been working on for Mario so he and the little Q's will have one more to play with this fall.

Other than that I've been doing some dozer work on one of my places making it an even more ideal place for him and the kids to hunt in the future. Not only has he become an irreplaceable friend not having kids and grand kids of my own to share all of this with he let's me be "Uncle Charles" and it gives me more joy than most people can imagine.

What summer projects are the rest of you working on for next season?

Last edited:
Rehabbing an ankle (continued), waiting on a couple of projects to come together. Ruger #1, synthetic restock hopefully home in a week 10 days.
Trying to find a last minute hunt within my limits.
Kind of self cancelled my season to watch my grandson so my son in law can go. He needs it more than I do.
If the woods stay open maybe bear hunt a little.
Ate up time early dealing with house remodeling/contractors.

Wow. That's hot. I live in northern NH and when it hits 90 we're all dying lol. I do all my shooting throughout the summer. Sounds like summer to you is what winter us to us. No one wants to go outside in below 0 temps. Anyway, my project is extending my effective range and making a cold bore hit. I'm pretty consistent 600-800 yards. Need some work through to still make a cold bore hit at 1000+.

@WildRose I'm in the Dallas area and have been suffering with you on the temps, though this week has been fairly mild in the mid-90s!

I have a few new rifles I've been tinkering with- some for over a year and some for only a couple of months...time is hard to come by and the range I was a member of shut down around this time last year, and I haven't found a new one yet. As a result, getting those rifles dialed in has taken a lot longer than I had hoped. I've been trying to do brass prep and loading in the evenings in the garage, but only in small time increments. Even at 10:30pm it's still up around 98 most nights. Going to try to attend a PRS event in a couple of weeks as an observer- I am curious to see what all the fuss is about.

Other than that, with two boys not even in Kindergarten yet my hands are pretty full most of the time.

CECED2B2-B30D-40E7-A928-100AF94CA3C2.jpeg
Doing yard work (new pergola, patio, and laying Sod), trying to get all my stupid guns glassed up with some decent MIL Scopes, and finding a hunting lease in Georgia...oh yeah and working a new job since leaving the army in July.

I promise I have a pretty well kept house. Back yard is a mess as I work on this thing for my wife.

It's been warm up here too !
I'm in recovery mode now , had a unexpected Heart Surgery this summer . I sure didn't expect this at 54 and in great shape. I'm just thankful I'm still 6' above ground .
I'm cleared to shoot on the 17th. of August so I'm excited !! So for now it's just shop on line read the forums and heal up !
If you love your family as much as I do , get your butt in and get a check up !!

it actually has cooled off a bit in NC, it's only been around 90 each day. i need to go out to my property and move my deer stand but it's like the jungles of vietnam out there right now. the idea of suiting up in long sleeves and snake pants is not appealing.

We've had some 116 degree days along with the monsoon arriving bringing much higher humidity. Several of us have driven 2 1/2 hours north to 7000' elevation to test loads. 70's and low 80's there.

We spent 2 weeks this summer on a long awaited trip to visit family through Idaho, Montana, and northern Washington. Since being back it's been hovering around 100 and very smokey. My main objective has been finishing my shop where I'm building a dedicated reloading room. Hoping to get my tools moved in this fall. My tools, reloading gear, etc has all been in boxes for the last 4 years since we sold our last home.
20180602_154935.jpg

Did I mention I'm not a fan of drywall.

In my part of the world, North Texas July and August are pretty hellish with temps regularly between 100-110 and occasionally 115 or more so doing much of anything outside that isn't absolutely necessary is pretty much off the table.

Normally the summer is when I work on gun projects at least for as long as the A/C can keep up and keep things tolerable.

Most of my projects however are done, all I've got to work on really other than some load development once it cools off is to finish a rifle I've been working on for Mario so he and the little Q's will have one more to play with this fall.

Other than that I've been doing some dozer work on one of my places making it an even more ideal place for him and the kids to hunt in the future. Not only has he become an irreplaceable friend not having kids and grand kids of my own to share all of this with he let's me be "Uncle Charles" and it gives me more joy than most people can imagine.

What summer projects are the rest of you working on for next season?

Shooting wise......In a serious slump,NOTHING! Around the house....overwhelmed! memtb

Nothing fun and my brain is stressing out! I am on my required residency class in Phoenix, AZ and has been melting for over a week now. 103-108F thus far ... mind you I am from MT, about 15-20F cooler. It is way too hot for me, for my next round of residency, will make it is going to be during colder months.

Just picked up some new Sig brass to try in my Win mag.
I've been concentrating on pistol training lately.
I don't have much patience when it's smoking hot with barrel heat with my rifles. Lots of side work with trees and concrete.

Been scraping together what hay I can. We are on our 2nd year of drought(right on schedule, two years after a Texas drought we get one)
Been shooting my 308 enough I'm falling behind on reloading as I practice for a prs match. Hard to beat a 308 for volume shooting. I put shells through it until I notice a sticky bolt lift then clean it. I never notice a change in accuracy. I picked up a box of 208eldm I'm wanting to work up a load with and improve it's long range capability, but I'll get to that maybe this fall/winter. Got drawn for antelope so I've been keeping my eye out. Found two nice ones but the one has a little more character in his horns a little more width and I think will go 80+ inches but I'm poor judge of antelope lol

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.