The Summer Slump... . What are you working on?

It's been warm up here too !
I'm in recovery mode now , had a unexpected Heart Surgery this summer . I sure didn't expect this at 54 and in great shape. I'm just thankful I'm still 6' above ground .
I'm cleared to shoot on the 17th. of August so I'm excited !! So for now it's just shop on line read the forums and heal up !
If you love your family as much as I do , get your butt in and get a check up !!
Good to hear you are recovering well. Have few concerns myself DR and I are working on.

The "Wild Bunch"(3 and 4 year old grand kids) and I are shooting dinosaurs. Using Nerf bolt rifles with scope bought at Walmart. They are getting pretty good at taking out the $2 dinosaurs also bought at Walmart. I am a little worried. Thought the FBI might be looking for me. If ya'll do not hear from me for a while here is why. The four year old was ask by his teacher. "What is your favorite thing to do?" He answered "getting his gun and going hunting with his G-Paw".
I was filling up a water tank at the city well today. There's a herd of kids that live close by who come to play in the water that spills.

About six or eight come running down tonight and a little girl comes over and asks, "Why do you have a gun". I tell her, well because I can and because I make a big part of my living teaching people how to be safe in the storage, handling and use of guns and because I think it's my duty to be prepared to defend myself and others in the event something bad happens.

Pretty soon I have a half dozen of them standing around talking to me while the tank fills and one of the "mothers" covered in tatt's, 50lbs over weight with a cigarrette hanging out of her mouth comes running down with her "boyfriend" both of which are among our local meth head crowd shows up with a look of panic on her face.

She yells at the kids, "Don't bother that man with the gun".

I tell her, "Ma'am they aren't bothering me at all we're having fun".

She yells at them again to "move away from the man with the gun."

I look at her and say, "ma'm, that gun is very secure in it's holster and isn't going to jump out and hurt anyone, they are fine, we're all perfectly safe here'.

I thought about pointing out that her kids were in far greater danger from her 2nd hand smoke and filth but I just smiled and went about my way.

I am in PA, just got my last pickup load of fire wood spit and stacked last week ! No sooner got that done and the fuel pump went out on my 1999 Dodge Ram wood hauling, snow plowing truck ! Well ! Ends up the fuel pump is in the fuel tank, called the dodge dealer and he quoted me $520 for a new fuel pump, say what! He went on to say that the total cost for labor and parts is usually a $1000 dollar bill. I started looking on the web for information on how to change. Some guys cut a hole in the bed of their truck to access the pump, others drop the tank if they have access to a lift, or take the bed off or raise it up. It's a 6 ft. bed and only has 6 bolts holding it on, so I thought I would try raising the front of the bed enough to gain access to the fuel pump. Took the two front bolts out the next two out, one on each side, then loosened the last two so I could keep the bed lined up. Hooked a tow strap to the front corners of the bed and raised it up slowly with the bucket of my backhoe, had to unhook the fuel fill tubs and guide them down as I raised the bed, also had to unhook a ground wire under the right front of the bed. Worked great ! Ended up getting a fuel pump on E- bay out of New Jersey for less than $100 ! Looked exactly the same and works great so far, has a lifetime warranty ! What goes ? Too many greedy people in this world ! I saw some pumps for as little as $40 . Other then my time I have less then $100 in the fix ! I am 66 and retired at 62 from a hot steel mill, I really don't know how I ever had time for a job ! There is always something that needs done! Hope you get to enjoy some cooler weather soon, and the rest of summer . Good luck hunting and shooting.

I wish I had that option. It's about an eight or ten our minimum drive for me to "get that high".

Somewhere about mid summer every year I start thinking about how much I'd like to live at around 5,000-7,500' and then I think about winters at that elevation HA!
Take up some winter sports, at least few people would probably bother you all winter ! Ha, Ha, Ha

Summer slump, what's that? Any free time I've had has been processing bulk shooters. 223, 300blk, and 45acp. Really makes me want to buy a Dillon. Been to busy and hot to do any shooting this summer.

Been varmint hunting with decent hikes involved.Also working on my daypack/hunting necessaries for field use.Had some health issues but coming back pretty well..... working on my pace.

I am in PA, just got my last pickup load of fire wood spit and stacked last week ! No sooner got that done and the fuel pump went out on my 1999 Dodge Ram wood hauling, snow plowing truck ! Well ! Ends up the fuel pump is in the fuel tank, called the dodge dealer and he quoted me $520 for a new fuel pump, say what! He went on to say that the total cost for labor and parts is usually a $1000 dollar bill. I started looking on the web for information on how to change. Some guys cut a hole in the bed of their truck to access the pump, others drop the tank if they have access to a lift, or take the bed off or raise it up. It's a 6 ft. bed and only has 6 bolts holding it on, so I thought I would try raising the front of the bed enough to gain access to the fuel pump. Took the two front bolts out the next two out, one on each side, then loosened the last two so I could keep the bed lined up. Hooked a tow strap to the front corners of the bed and raised it up slowly with the bucket of my backhoe, had to unhook the fuel fill tubs and guide them down as I raised the bed, also had to unhook a ground wire under the right front of the bed. Worked great ! Ended up getting a fuel pump on E- bay out of New Jersey for less than $100 ! Looked exactly the same and works great so far, has a lifetime warranty ! What goes ? Too many greedy people in this world ! I saw some pumps for as little as $40 . Other then my time I have less then $100 in the fix ! I am 66 and retired at 62 from a hot steel mill, I really don't know how I ever had time for a job ! There is always something that needs done! Hope you get to enjoy some cooler weather soon, and the rest of summer . Good luck hunting and shooting.
That's awesome, our nation is losing the DIY attitude when it comes to anything other than crafts.

Other than the fuel pump how do you like that model/year? I'll be buying a new (smaller) truck soon and I'll have to also buy an older reliable wood hauler/snowplow truck. Those late 90's / early 00's Rams have my attention.

Between rare trips to the range to get my 270 ready for the fall, been listening to Jordan Peterson podcasts.
I would recommend if you have become tired of listening to political er ... banter. Don't agree with everything but his talks and interviews have been helpful to me.

That's awesome, our nation is losing the DIY attitude when it comes to anything other than crafts.

Other than the fuel pump how do you like that model/year? I'll be buying a new (smaller) truck soon and I'll have to also buy an older reliable wood hauler/snowplow truck. Those late 90's / early 00's Rams have my attention.
Well ! I have had at least 6 dodge products cars and trucks, all with the exception of an older style,70's power wagon have had to have new front ends put under them including the one I have now, ball joints & tie rod ends ECT. I think they have great power and motors but the front ends don't seem to last for me. I just got a small pickup, a 2002 Nissan Frontier it seems to work well so far. I had a full size Nissan Titan that I sold a couple years ago that worked real well but was hard on gas. I have also had 3 small Toyota pickups and loved all of them. They were regular cabs and I went to the Titan to get more room. My Frontier is a four door 6 ft. bed so I still have plenty of room. As far as dependability the Toyotas and the Nissans I think are hard to beat! And most are made in America ! Good luck with what ever you go with.

I haven't lost my DIY attitude. I fix everything. I just installed solar on my 5th wheel. Repaired the wood on my deck last month. In the process of replacing outside lighting with LED fixtures. We cut our cable (tv) last month. We now spend our time productively.

Wow. This is an industrious bunch.

Like some others , it has been very hot and humid hear in south Texas.
Temperature and humidity for both have been between 95 and 105 and the humidity has stayed in the 90 percent range.

I manage to go out and test one or two rifles in the morning and then retreat to the shop the rest of the day.

All other projects are in side when possible.

Looking forward to some cooler weather !!!!

J E CUSTOM

Well ! I have had at least 6 dodge products cars and trucks, all with the exception of an older style,70's power wagon have had to have new front ends put under them including the one I have now, ball joints & tie rod ends ECT. I think they have great power and motors but the front ends don't seem to last for me. I just got a small pickup, a 2002 Nissan Frontier it seems to work well so far. I had a full size Nissan Titan that I sold a couple years ago that worked real well but was hard on gas. I have also had 3 small Toyota pickups and loved all of them. They were regular cabs and I went to the Titan to get more room. My Frontier is a four door 6 ft. bed so I still have plenty of room. As far as dependability the Toyotas and the Nissans I think are hard to beat! And most are made in America ! Good luck with what ever you go with.
That's exactky what I expected to hear. My 2016 Ram 2500 Heim is just so stiff, I can't imagine getting 100k without it rattling itself to pieces. I'm at 80k now.

I am planning on buying a Tacoma as my next daily driver. I like that they are assembled in US but it bothers me that the profits still go overseas.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts