The "right" scope..?

Dont have the foggiest idea where you guys buy scopes from....but I checked Ziess and the lowest priced one they had was close to 300 more than the VIII Leupold....and someone mention to me about NightForce brand....their cheapest scope is $1400 clams....Geeze fellas!!!

Well, I should have added that the 3rd Leupold that is going bad right now is on a 17 HMR.:rolleyes:

Jeff

Sure like to know what 'going bad' really means:rolleyes:

I have never had problems with my Leupys and I own far more then you do. Remind me not to stand near you in a lightning storm, because you have some kind of bad luck :D

Sully,

As far as clarity and light gathering in a fixed scope, the Leupy FX-3 is very affordable. You cannot buy a zeiss for that price with the same capabilities.

Some people like the Sightron Fixed better, mostly because their positive click system, though I don't think they are near as bright. You should check them out.

I really like the Vortex Vipers, but the only problem is that most come with IR, and I can't hunt with those in many states. For varmints though, you should be alright. Check those out too. They aren't Fixed powers though.

In the end, you will be happy with the FX-3 though. I guarantee it, and Leupold does too :D

Last edited:
Sure like to know what 'going bad' really means:rolleyes:

I have never had problems with my Leupys and I own far more then you do. Remind me not to stand near you in a lightning storm, because you have some kind of bad luck :D

I will explain with a bit more detail. You may very well own more than me but that does not change my personal experiences. At one time I probably had 80% Lupys on all my rifles which was about 8 to 10 Lupy's at once. But after these failures I sold them off and bought Zeiss , Vortex or other brands for my hunting rifles. My LR rigs have primarily NF NXS's with an IOR or two.

First to fail me was a 4.5-14X50 VXIII LR with SF and 30mm tube. I was antelope hunting in WY and missed a nice buck at 250 yards with my 300 Wby. I returned to the truck and checked zero and was off by more than a foot at 100 yards. The smith that built the rifle was not far away so I went to see him thinking there was a mounting issue. We went to the range and checked it out. To find the scope would not hold zero.

The second was a 3.5-10x50 VXIII on my 270 Wby. The rifle simply would not group any longer under 3" at 100. I installed a Zeiss 4.5-14 x50 conquest to check and now the rifle was back to a 1" at 100 gun. This was done at the range on the same day with many groups shot. The Lupy was sent in for repair and sold off.

The 3rd I mentioned I still have. It is a 3.5-10x50 VXIII on my Weatherby XXII / Anschutz in 17 HMR. The rifle shoots very well. Except now I have to rezero often. If I shoot 20 off the bench it will move at some point most of the time and groups will open up. "Double group" if you will. Also this one has lost a noticalbe ammount of clairity on 10x. Could be a related issue? Don't know don't care. It will be removed and will not go back on. Wanna buy it?? :D Yes I may live under a black cloud but I know better than to keep standing under it. Thus my decission to move away from the Lupy's.

Jeff

I will explain with a bit more detail. You may very well own more than me but that does not change my personal experiences. At one time I probably had 80% Lupys on all my rifles which was about 8 to 10 Lupy's at once. But after these failures I sold them off and bought Zeiss , Vortex or other brands for my hunting rifles. My LR rigs have primarily NF NXS's with an IOR or two.

First to fail me was a 4.5-14X50 VXIII LR with SF and 30mm tube. I was antelope hunting in WY and missed a nice buck at 250 yards with my 300 Wby. I returned to the truck and checked zero and was off by more than a foot at 100 yards. The smith that built the rifle was not far away so I went to see him thinking there was a mounting issue. We went to the range and checked it out. To find the scope would not hold zero.

The second was a 3.5-10x50 VXIII on my 270 Wby. The rifle simply would not group any longer under 3" at 100. I installed a Zeiss 4.5-14 x50 conquest to check and now the rifle was back to a 1" at 100 gun. This was done at the range on the same day with many groups shot. The Lupy was sent in for repair and sold off.

The 3rd I mentioned I still have. It is a 3.5-10x50 VXIII on my Weatherby XXII / Anschutz in 17 HMR. The rifle shoots very well. Except now I have to rezero often. If I shoot 20 off the bench it will move at some point most of the time and groups will open up. "Double group" if you will. Also this one has lost a noticalbe ammount of clairity on 10x. Could be a related issue? Don't know don't care. It will be removed and will not go back on. Wanna buy it?? :D Yes I may live under a black cloud but I know better than to keep standing under it. Thus my decission to move away from the Lupy's.

Jeff

You sure you were shooting Leupolds???? Sounds like you were buying some kind of knockoffs. :D

BTW, are these VX-III's or VX-3s? There is a difference.

What do you want for it? I may want to buy it if you are so keen to be rid of it. You say it isn't holding zero, so does a hundred bucks sound good? Seriously though, if you send it in to Leupold and want to sell it, give me a look. I would definitely be interested. I really like the 3.5-10s they make. Solid scopes in my experience.

Dont have the foggiest idea where you guys buy scopes from....but I checked Ziess and the lowest priced one they had was close to 300 more than the VIII Leupold....and someone mention to me about NightForce brand....their cheapest scope is $1400 clams....Geeze fellas!!!

You can pickup a 3-9 zeiss conquest for 369 to 399.00, a 6.5-20 for 760 to 780.00 and in between powers for in between prices. Look at cameralandny, e-bay, sportoptic. I saw alot of vx-3 and III go for alot higher prices for the same power scopes.Look at minox.meopta vortex, There are sales at cameralandny right now ay very good prices. Just don't look where ever your looking at now, sounds like their a ripoff.

He wants a fixed 12 power or 12 power capability. A Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 goes for around 600 bucks, FX-3s 12x you can get for $450 all day.

Recoil wont be a problem on a 10 lb 22-250... Ear shattering muzzle blast....whee doogie..

Recoil doesn't have to come from shooting, it can come from drop or fall, THEN your SOL, off to the shop we go., and I don't want that downtime. I didn't pay good money to have that happen. recoil IS a big factor on any scope. We can't always control how recoil happens. Think about it, dogs, kids, wife, earthquake, plain out being stupid, All kinds of ways. Recoil: A scopes #1 killer.

Recoil doesn't have to come from shooting, it can come from drop or fall, THEN your SOL, off to the shop we go., and I don't want that downtime. I didn't pay good money to have that happen. recoil IS a big factor on any scope. We can't always control how recoil happens. Think about it, dogs, kids, wife, earthquake, plain out being stupid, All kinds of ways. Recoil: A scopes #1 killer.

Then he will be just fine with Leupold, Sightron, or Vortex!

Anyone know anything about Millett brand scopes? They used to be big name in iron sights and I read that when Bushnell bought them their scope quality was "El Crapo...but they are above that now and making good products..???

Anyone know anything about Millett brand scopes? They used to be big name in iron sights and I read that when Bushnell bought them their scope quality was "El Crapo...but they are above that now and making good products..???

Bushnell has done a lot with them and their scopes. I would compare them to Nikon Buckmasters in quality of glass. Decent, but I think the Vortex Diamond Back are better scopes in that price range.

Bushnell has done a lot with them and their scopes. I would compare them to Nikon Buckmasters in quality of glass. Decent, but I think the Vortex Diamond Back are better scopes in that price range.

Okie doke...thanks. Im "attempting" to look a little more up scale than that.

UPDATE: Well fellas...my REDFIELD 4-12 came UPS today...also my Leupold mount(s) and rings and this weekend I'll be ready to start to rock and roll getting it mounted and bore sighted. I also bought a sunshade for it...and when I screwed it on the front "magic happened".....:)

The price was more than just right....and the BIG Leupold will have to rest on my nest varmint gun ( 6 .5 caliber????)

Thanks for the help guys

Sully

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.