The right Range finder?

huntxtrm

Hello All. After a recent trip to Cabelas, I'm confused. I went shopping for a range finder. I was looking at a Leopold RX1200i. It is reasonably priced, in the bargain cave online. It says it ranges out to 1200 yards. Cabelas guy say it will range plates to 1200 yards, but animals only out to about 800? Is he full of it? I want something that will go out to 1000yds, for elk hunting. I am getting comfortable with my 300 Rum out to that distance, but I wont be comfortable if my range finder is lying to me? lol. Anybody have any experience with this?

I have been using a Leica 1600B for a few years now. It reliably ranges to 1000. I recently took a LR course at Accuracy 1st. The instructor gave us a no BS assessment of range finders, everything from Vectronix on down. I watched as he talked about each unit on the table. The 1600 was the last one and I was expecting him to trash it. He was really impressed by its capability, and recommended it highly for use out to 1000yds.

Leupold range finders are worst I've ever used, he was probably being generous IMO! I've had better luck with Bushnell's if a budget has to be held to a minimum but even then I've missed elk at 900 yards using my buddies Bushnell, re ranged with my old leica and punched him twice.

Leupold range finders are worst I've ever used, he was probably being generous IMO! I've had better luck with Bushnell's if a budget has to be held to a minimum but even then I've missed elk at 900 yards using my buddies Bushnell, re ranged with my old leica and punched him twice.

Maybe i need to just save up a few more pennies, and get a leica. What about the ranging binos? I know they are quit pricey!

I don't have any experience with Leupold range finders, but I do have a Leica 1600b.

All rangefinders have some limitations based on how reflective the target is. In the mountains where you are shooting your laser at a near perpendicular surface like a rock they work very well. I can usually find a surface that gets me readings out to at least 1500 yards but it's not uncommon to reach out to the mid 1750 range with my 1600b.

The most challenging terrain is when I'm out Antelope hunting in Eastern CO where the terrain is very flat and filled with nothing but dry grass. I really cannot get out much further than about 750 - 800 yards, and sometimes I'm limited to about 500 in very flat featureless terrain.

The Leica has a very small beam divergence which is critical in giving accurate readings at long range. Since you've got a 300 RUM and you are capable out to very long distances I would highly recommend you save up for the 1600.

The Cabelas guy was probably trying to explain the difference in reflective and non-reflective targets. If the target is a shiny metal type object, it will reflect the beam back to the rangefinder better than the non-reflective soft target, such as an elk or deer. When I try to range a soft target at a great distance, I usually target a more reflective target such as a rock or tree trunk that is close to the soft target.
Technology has advanced so much in rangefinders that they are usually very accurate and easy to use.

To get to 1000 on game, I would go no lower than a Leica 1600 rated unit. I've got a Bushnell "1500" and I am lucky to get 600 yards on game. My buddy's, bought at the same time, will get 900. I have never owned a Leica but have used several and all did much better than any cheaper brands and ranged much closer to their rating.

Do yourself a big favor and stay away from leupold rangefinders. Get a leica 1600B or a good deal on a swarovski, they are discontinued. swaro will range further, Leica is faster. swaro holds steadier for long range.You decide, both will range a deer past 1000 yards easy

Do yourself a big favor and stay away from leupold rangefinders. Get a leica 1600B or a good deal on a swarovski, they are discontinued. swaro will range further, Leica is faster. swaro holds steadier for long range.You decide, both will range a deer past 1000 yards easy

+1 or get a BR2 from G7

One of my shooting buds has a Leupold 1000yd range finder (unsure of model) and I was shocked that it wouldn't range any better than a Nikon 800 that I used to own. Conditions were optimal that day and it was while were were setting up targets. To its defense, the Leupold did range a two story white house at around 800-900yds but the smaller (4'x4') target backings were untouchable that day with the unit.

Not trashing the name but I made my mind up that day to stick it out till I could afford the Leica 1600B. I have it now and compared to the units I have TRIED, this thing is smoking hot! The Leica will easily range that house at over a mile!

Last year, before deer season, I ranged some small does (75-90lb) at over 800yds after legal shooting light. I couldn't seem them with my naked eyes, scanned the field edge with my 10x50 bino's, located them and then scanned with the Leica. Repeatedly gave the same readings within +/- 1 yd.

Love mine! JohnnyK.

If you are only interested in the range finding capability, how does G7's BR2 compare w/ the Leica 1600?

++1 on this question. I'm looking at getting into the LR game and really curious to see whether the extra $1000 is worth it for the g7...? Is the internal ballistic calculator/ everything computer really what a LR hunter needs?

++1 on this question. I'm looking at getting into the LR game and really curious to see whether the extra $1000 is worth it for the g7...? Is the internal ballistic calculator/ everything computer really what a LR hunter needs?
That is a subjective question. For me it is. Vectrinox is only one better. IMO

Here's a good resources for objective information about rangefinders...

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/laser-rangefinders/

In my experience, for the handheld version, Leica and Swarovski are the only two to consider. I've had both and they are both excellent. I am currently using the Leica 1600B. The reason is the beam divergence. The Swarovski will range farther than the Leica from a standing position. But the beam on the Swaro is sufficiently big enough that it can give some false readings when prone on the ground (beam is so big it sometimes bounces back on low shrubs that are closer than the target). Whereas with the narrower beam of the Leica, you give up a bit of range, but it is more reliable when prone.

In an earlier post, someone wondered about the Leica rangefinder binos. I can say from personal experience that they are excellent. I have a pair of the 15x and a buddy has the 10x. They are both fantastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.